Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

Cigarette prices were much lower in VA than in MN, as well.
    Both states have large tobacco-producing concerns located in the state, so taxes on tobacco (and/or "health fees") are kept very low to keep the industry happy.

No such industry in MN - but it's still an assload cheaper here than in NYC or Cali.

You are wrong, if you read the link that was posted you will have no choice but to eat crow.
    Just in case you want to check out the link again... here it is

http://tobaccofreekids.org/research/...s/pdf/0097.pdf
    That link shows only the tax burden, not the actual cost of a pack of cigarettes.
    It is also just the state-by-state listing, and, thus, ignores the $1.50/pack tax within the borders of NYC in the calculation.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, I'm more than willing to admit when I've made a mistake.
    I thought the proposed California initiative (Prop 86, I believe) to increase the tax on tobacco by $2.60/pack (Proposition 86) had passed, but I see that it did not.
    http://www.smartvoter.org/2006/11/07/ca/state/prop/86/

However, as long as you insist on calling the Health Impact Fee a tax, even after courts have ruled that it is not, then I fail to see how this discussion can continue.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

Both states have large tobacco-producing concerns located in the state, so taxes on tobacco (and/or "health fees") are kept very low to keep the industry happy.

No such industry in MN - but it's still an assload cheaper here than in NYC or Cali.

You are wrong, if you read the link that was posted you will have no choice but to eat crow.

That link shows only the tax burden, not the actual cost of a pack of cigarettes.
    It is also just the state-by-state listing, and, thus, ignores the $1.50/pack tax within the borders of NYC in the calculation.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, I'm more than willing to admit when I've made a mistake.
    I thought the proposed California initiative (Prop 86, I believe) to increase the tax on tobacco by $2.60/pack (Proposition 86) had passed, but I see that it did not.

However, as long as you insist on calling the Health Impact Fee a tax, even after courts have ruled that it is not, then I fail to see how this discussion can continue.

=Z=
    You didn't say NYC in your earlier post..you said NY.

Regardless....

Good morning sunshine.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

They raised it $0.75 a pack about a year ago. That's why you're paying $4+ for a pack of smokes instead of $3+.

I used to buy my cigarettes in MN because they were cheaper, but after they raised their taxes, I went back to buying them in WI.

I'm all for raising cigarette taxes to pay for a stadium, as long as smokers are the only ones allowed in the stadium after it's built.

It's always the non-smokers who suggest raising the cigarette tax to pay for something everyone in the state will benefit from, just so they don't have to pay anything out of pocket.

To be fair, you need to tax something EVERYONE buys, not just a minority of the people.
    You must have missed the "pissing match" Singer...

Apparently it is not technically a "tax"... it is a "health impact fee"
    It looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but they call it a chicken.
    Zues, being the nit-pick...er I mean Reality Assurance, guy pointed out that there was never any recent tax imposed, (because it goes by a different name).

I agree with you though, I can't stand people picking out one minority and taxing the hell out them to fund a stadium of all things.
    Like jmcdon00 stated earlier, why not $3 more a pack, $4, $10???
    Where does it stop?

I like Nodak's idea of an entertainment tax.
    That way everyone is included.
    "Zeus" wrote:

Kinda late to the party, aren't ya?

=Z=
    Well when I come home from work, that's when I get caught up on threads, begining where I left off. I usually respond as I go along without reading the remaining pages first.

I happened along the post & responded accordingly for that spot in the thread.

I don't care if it's called a tax or a fee,
    the bottom line is it is still costing the taxpayers an extra $0.75 out of pocket from something the legislature passed. Calling it a fee instead of a tax doesn't makw anyone any happier about paying it.

Over here in WI they are bucking to raise the cigarette tax 160%, which equates to $1.25 more a pack, pushing it close to $5.00.

If your going to jack up taxes to help benefit all who live there, then everytaxpayer should be targeted, not just those who smoke.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    Still they are cheaper in Cali.
    EAT CROW AND DIE!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    Still they are cheaper in Cali.
    EAT CROW AND DIE!
    You haven't shown that.
    Your out-of-date website merely indicates that the tax burden of cigarettes is slightly lower than that in Minnesota.

The retail cost is another matter totally.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456