Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55
  1. #11
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Why can't they just raise the sales tax or increase tobacco taxes?
    A lot of other cities did that and got stadiums.
    What the flip is wrong with people of there?
    Our sales tax is already high, and they just raised the tobacco tax by an entire $1.00 per pack!
    "They just raised the tobacco tax" ?

    Since when?
    The tobacco tax was NOT raised (that I know of - and, being a smoker, I would notice).
    The "Health Fee" or whatever BS that Pawlenty calls it so he can say he hasn't raised taxes, was upheld in the courts.
    But as far as I saw, the fee was never rescinded, even while it was being challenge.


    =Z=
    When I started smoking (9 years ago)
    I paid 2.50 per pack.
    Now I am paying over $4.00.


    I just got back from a biz trip to SC where I paid 2.60 per pack..

    The prices jumped last year...maybe its not a tax, but it is costing me a lot more to smoke now.

  2. #12
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Why can't they just raise the sales tax or increase tobacco taxes?
    A lot of other cities did that and got stadiums.
    What the flip is wrong with people of there?
    Our sales tax is already high, and they just raised the tobacco tax by an entire $1.00 per pack!
    "They just raised the tobacco tax" ?

    Since when?
    The tobacco tax was NOT raised (that I know of - and, being a smoker, I would notice).
    The "Health Fee" or whatever BS that Pawlenty calls it so he can say he hasn't raised taxes, was upheld in the courts.
    But as far as I saw, the fee was never rescinded, even while it was being challenge.
    That tax raise is still in affect. It add $1 to every pack of smokes. The state of minnesota makes more money on a pack of smokes sold than Phillip Morris does. Maybe you have extra money you want to give to the state but I would rather keep my money. How long ago was that they raised the tax about a year, I don't think it is time to do it again. That was my problem when they added the tax, if you can raise it one dollar why not 2 or 5 or 10 dollars a pack. Fricken ridiculous
    So, I'm right.
    They didn't just raise the tax rate on tobacco.
    The courts ruled that this was not a tax, so Pawlenty was free to keep the money.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #13
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Why can't they just raise the sales tax or increase tobacco taxes?
    A lot of other cities did that and got stadiums.
    What the flip is wrong with people of there?
    Our sales tax is already high, and they just raised the tobacco tax by an entire $1.00 per pack!
    "They just raised the tobacco tax" ?

    Since when?
    The tobacco tax was NOT raised (that I know of - and, being a smoker, I would notice).
    The "Health Fee" or whatever BS that Pawlenty calls it so he can say he hasn't raised taxes, was upheld in the courts.
    But as far as I saw, the fee was never rescinded, even while it was being challenge.
    When I started smoking (9 years ago)
    I paid 2.50 per pack.
    Now I am paying over $4.00.


    I just got back from a biz trip to SC where I paid 2.60 per pack..

    The prices jumped last year...maybe its not a tax, but it is costing me a lot more to smoke now.
    Cigarette prices were much lower in VA than in MN, as well.
    Both states have large tobacco-producing concerns located in the state, so taxes on tobacco (and/or "health fees") are kept very low to keep the industry happy.

    No such industry in MN - but it's still an assload cheaper here than in NYC or Cali.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #14
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Why can't they just raise the sales tax or increase tobacco taxes?
    A lot of other cities did that and got stadiums.
    What the flip is wrong with people of there?
    Our sales tax is already high, and they just raised the tobacco tax by an entire $1.00 per pack!
    "They just raised the tobacco tax" ?

    Since when?
    The tobacco tax was NOT raised (that I know of - and, being a smoker, I would notice).
    The "Health Fee" or whatever BS that Pawlenty calls it so he can say he hasn't raised taxes, was upheld in the courts.
    But as far as I saw, the fee was never rescinded, even while it was being challenge.
    That tax raise is still in affect. It add $1 to every pack of smokes. The state of minnesota makes more money on a pack of smokes sold than Phillip Morris does. Maybe you have extra money you want to give to the state but I would rather keep my money. How long ago was that they raised the tax about a year, I don't think it is time to do it again. That was my problem when they added the tax, if you can raise it one dollar why not 2 or 5 or 10 dollars a pack. Fricken ridiculous
    So, I'm right.
    They didn't just raise the tax rate on tobacco.
    The courts ruled that this was not a tax, so Pawlenty was free to keep the money.

    =Z=
    No your wrong, they did just raise the tax on tobacco.

  5. #15
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    No your wrong, they did just raise the tax on tobacco.
    No they did not.

    http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/sscigtax.htm

    Read it slowly, you might learn something.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #16
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Why can't they just raise the sales tax or increase tobacco taxes?
    A lot of other cities did that and got stadiums.
    What the flip is wrong with people of there?
    Our sales tax is already high, and they just raised the tobacco tax by an entire $1.00 per pack!
    How much is it. Ours is 25%
    Sales tax is 6.5%. But we also pay state income taxes. State property taxes. Gas taxes to the state. Cigerrette taxes to the state. Alcohol taxes to the state. Car taxes to the state. Plus there are additional taxes in Hennepin county to pay for the new stadium.
    Any I missed?
    We don't need more state taxes!!!!!
    Don't worry. We got those too and more. Our total income tax is somewhere between 40-65% according to incomelevel

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  7. #17
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    I don't like tobacco taxes for no health issues because I think it is taking advantage of a particular sub group of the community.
    If there are taxes on tobacco, then the extra money generated should go toward issues created by or directly involving tobacco use, like health care.

    I honestly would rather see a metro tax before a state tax.
    The metro cities stand to gain much more than cities like Moorhead or Duluth.
    But if a statewide tax is more likely to be passed, then so be it.

    For the record, there is nothing that says that any new taxes would be used.
    I actually think that Wilf is looking for state money, not a new state tax.
    This could be something that comes out of the general fund, or bonded by state, or both.
    I think the metrodome was funded in part by a tax and in part by state bonds, but I could be wrong. (And if I am then I'm sure Zeus will be here shortly to tell me so )
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #18
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    For the record, there is nothing that says that any new taxes would be used.
    I actually think that Wilf is looking for state money, not a new state tax.
    This could be something that comes out of the general fund, or bonded by state, or both.
    I think the metrodome was funded in part by a tax and in part by state bonds, but I could be wrong. (And if I am then I'm sure Zeus will be here shortly to tell me so )
    I think you're right on that one.
    You can relax now.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #19
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "cogitans" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Why can't they just raise the sales tax or increase tobacco taxes?
    A lot of other cities did that and got stadiums.
    What the flip is wrong with people of there?
    Our sales tax is already high, and they just raised the tobacco tax by an entire $1.00 per pack!
    How much is it. Ours is 25%
    Sales tax is 6.5%. But we also pay state income taxes. State property taxes. Gas taxes to the state. Cigerrette taxes to the state. Alcohol taxes to the state. Car taxes to the state. Plus there are additional taxes in Hennepin county to pay for the new stadium.
    Any I missed?
    We don't need more state taxes!!!!!
    Don't worry. We got those too and more. Our total income tax is somewhere between 40-65% according to incomelevel
    We also have federal taxes. SS and medicare is 15.3% right of the top. Plus individual tax rates from 10-38% depending on your income. I understand that others around the world sometimes pay more taxes, and that at different times in U.S. history taxes have been higher, but we are one of the wealthiest countries on earth, the total amount collected in the U.S. is many times more than the amount that is collected in any other country, and yet our representatives still find ways to go into debt. It makes me so angry.
    http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

  10. #20
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    No your wrong, they did just raise the tax on tobacco.
    No they did not.

    http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/sscigtax.htm

    Read it slowly, you might learn something.

    =Z=
    This is what I learned...

    [glow=red,2,300]The 2005 Legislature [/glow]also imposed a health impact fee of 75 cents per pack of cigarettes and 35 percent of the wholesale price of tobacco products.
    Combining the Minnesota’s excise tax and fee, the burden equals $1.23 per pack and 70 percent of the wholesale price of tobacco products.
    This fee is imposed and collected in the same manner as the cigarette excise tax.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM
  2. Vikings - There's extra money in NFL for playing a lot
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 07:19 AM
  3. Lawmakers Introduce Statewide Smoking Ban Bill
    By PurplePackerEater in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 197
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM
  4. Vikings: Is the Money in the Right Places?
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 05:58 AM
  5. The Money, Money, Money!! & Asst Coaches
    By FedjeViking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 04:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •