Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Vikings might go statewide for money

"Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Why can't they just raise the sales tax or increase tobacco taxes?
    A lot of other cities did that and got stadiums.
    What the flip is wrong with people of there?
    Our sales tax is already high, and they just raised the tobacco tax by an entire $1.00 per pack!
    "They just raised the tobacco tax" ?

Since when?
    The tobacco tax was NOT raised (that I know of - and, being a smoker, I would notice).
    The "Health Fee" or whatever BS that Pawlenty calls it so he can say he hasn't raised taxes, was upheld in the courts.
    But as far as I saw, the fee was never rescinded, even while it was being challenge.

=Z=
    When I started smoking (9 years ago)
    I paid 2.50 per pack.
    Now I am paying over $4.00.

I just got back from a biz trip to SC where I paid 2.60 per pack..

The prices jumped last year...maybe its not a tax, but it is costing me a lot more to smoke now.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Our sales tax is already high, and they just raised the tobacco tax by an entire $1.00 per pack!

Since when?
    The tobacco tax was NOT raised (that I know of - and, being a smoker, I would notice).
    The "Health Fee" or whatever BS that Pawlenty calls it so he can say he hasn't raised taxes, was upheld in the courts.
    But as far as I saw, the fee was never rescinded, even while it was being challenge.
    That tax raise is still in affect. It add $1 to every pack of smokes. The state of minnesota makes more money on a pack of smokes sold than Phillip Morris does. Maybe you have extra money you want to give to the state but I would rather keep my money. How long ago was that they raised the tax about a year, I don't think it is time to do it again. That was my problem when they added the tax, if you can raise it one dollar why not 2 or 5 or 10 dollars a pack. Fricken ridiculous
    So, I'm right.
    They didn't just raise the tax rate on tobacco.
    The courts ruled that this was not a tax, so Pawlenty was free to keep the money.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

Since when?
    When I started smoking (9 years ago)
    I paid 2.50 per pack.
    Now I am paying over $4.00.

I just got back from a biz trip to SC where I paid 2.60 per pack..

The prices jumped last year...maybe its not a tax, but it is costing me a lot more to smoke now.
    Cigarette prices were much lower in VA than in MN, as well.
    Both states have large tobacco-producing concerns located in the state, so taxes on tobacco (and/or "health fees") are kept very low to keep the industry happy.

No such industry in MN - but it's still an assload cheaper here than in NYC or Cali.

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

Since when?
    That tax raise is still in affect. It add $1 to every pack of smokes. The state of minnesota makes more money on a pack of smokes sold than Phillip Morris does. Maybe you have extra money you want to give to the state but I would rather keep my money. How long ago was that they raised the tax about a year, I don't think it is time to do it again. That was my problem when they added the tax, if you can raise it one dollar why not 2 or 5 or 10 dollars a pack. Fricken ridiculous
    So, I'm right.
    They didn't just raise the tax rate on tobacco.
    The courts ruled that this was not a tax, so Pawlenty was free to keep the money.

=Z=
    No your wrong, they did just raise the tax on tobacco.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    No they did not.

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/sscigtax.htm

Read it slowly, you might learn something.

=Z=

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    How much is it. Ours is 25%
    Sales tax is 6.5%. But we also pay state income taxes. State property taxes. Gas taxes to the state. Cigerrette taxes to the state. Alcohol taxes to the state. Car taxes to the state. Plus there are additional taxes in Hennepin county to pay for the new stadium.
    Any I missed?
    We don't need more state taxes!!!!!
    Don't worry. We got those too and more. Our total income tax is somewhere between 40-65% according to incomelevel

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't like tobacco taxes for no health issues because I think it is taking advantage of a particular sub group of the community.
    If there are taxes on tobacco, then the extra money generated should go toward issues created by or directly involving tobacco use, like health care.

I honestly would rather see a metro tax before a state tax.
    The metro cities stand to gain much more than cities like Moorhead or Duluth.
    But if a statewide tax is more likely to be passed, then so be it.

For the record, there is nothing that says that any new taxes would be used.
    I actually think that Wilf is looking for state money, not a new state tax.
    This could be something that comes out of the general fund, or bonded by state, or both.
    I think the metrodome was funded in part by a tax and in part by state bonds, but I could be wrong. (And if I am then I'm sure Zeus will be here shortly to tell me so )
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    For the record, there is nothing that says that any new taxes would be used.
    I actually think that Wilf is looking for state money, not a new state tax.
    This could be something that comes out of the general fund, or bonded by state, or both.
    I think the metrodome was funded in part by a tax and in part by state bonds, but I could be wrong. (And if I am then I'm sure Zeus will be here shortly to tell me so )
    I think you're right on that one.
    You can relax now.

=Z=

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"cogitans" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    How much is it. Ours is 25%
    Sales tax is 6.5%. But we also pay state income taxes. State property taxes. Gas taxes to the state. Cigerrette taxes to the state. Alcohol taxes to the state. Car taxes to the state. Plus there are additional taxes in Hennepin county to pay for the new stadium.
    Any I missed?
    We don't need more state taxes!!!!!
    Don't worry. We got those too and more. Our total income tax is somewhere between 40-65% according to incomelevel
    We also have federal taxes. SS and medicare is 15.3% right of the top. Plus individual tax rates from 10-38% depending on your income. I understand that others around the world sometimes pay more taxes, and that at different times in U.S. history taxes have been higher, but we are one of the wealthiest countries on earth, the total amount collected in the U.S. is many times more than the amount that is collected in any other country, and yet our representatives still find ways to go into debt. It makes me so angry.
    http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    No they did not.

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/sscigtax.htm

Read it slowly, you might learn something.

=Z=
    This is what I learned...

[glow=red,2,300]The 2005 Legislature [/glow]also imposed a health impact fee of 75 cents per pack of cigarettes and 35 percent of the wholesale price of tobacco products.
    Combining the Minnesota’s excise tax and fee, the burden equals $1.23 per pack and 70 percent of the wholesale price of tobacco products.
    This fee is imposed and collected in the same manner as the cigarette excise tax.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast