View Poll Results: What do you most prefer the Vikings do?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade up 5 spots, get A. Ogletree in round 1

5 25.00%
  • Draft Manti Te'o in round 1

5 25.00%
  • Draft Arthur Brown in round 1

3 15.00%
  • Draft Kevin Minter in round 1

2 10.00%
  • Draft Kiko Alonso in round 2

2 10.00%
  • Draft Jonathan Bostic in round 3

1 5.00%
  • Draft A.J. Klein in round 4

1 5.00%
  • No need of MLB. Roll with what we got!

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Helmut Vikings Middle Linebacker In 2013

The Vikings' current middle linebackers are
    Audie Cole and Marvin Mitchell

oh!
    you were expecting more?
    sorry

that's it.

Marvin Mitchell is a solid veteran backup who is also a solid special teams player. Audie Cole is a big, tall (6'5") linebacker who's only 23 years old. He has excellent size, instincts and intelligence to play middle linebacker in the NFL. Most fans know him for his infamous 2 picks returned for two touchdowns in just under 13 seconds. For more about Cole click here.

We would all love to see Cole step into the middle linebacker spot and go to the Pro Bowl, but that's most likely not going to happen. Can he be one day? Sure, it's possible, but it looks like the Vikings definitely will look for a middle linebacker in the draft for three good reasons:

1, Take a look back at the current roster!

2. They have not made much of an effort in free agency.

3. “We know we have to get one. That’s no secret,” - linebackers coach Mike Singletary.

The outlook of the Draft

Day 1

The Vikings pick relatively late in the first round, but there's a decent chance that all of the top inside linebackers will still be available with their first selection because this group is not considered spectacular. That gives us a lot of freedom. And even if Alec Ogletree is off the board it wouldn't bother me at all. I think he is too much of a character risk anyways.

So we have three players who are good projections for the Vikings with either one of their first round picks. All three are stout run defenders and share similar size and speed: Manti Te'o, Kevin Minter, and Arthur Brown.

Arthur Brown is a little undersized, but also the fastest of the bunch. Te'o is marginally the biggest and shows great play-making abilities. Kevin Minter stands out the least among the group.

Day 2

Kiko Alonso really intrigues me here. He might have more potential than any other 4-3 linebacker in the year's draft. He's got the best size among the top 5 and has great hands for a linebacker with exceptional instincts and toughness. I'm telling you guys, we could be looking at the next Urlacher and he can likely be drafted in the second round. I would do draft him, and I'm [URL="http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/4/21/4249812/is-kiko-alonso-worth-a-second-round-pick"]not the only one].

Jonathan Bostic is also an intriguing prospects. I would like to draft him in the third round

Day 3

Now we're moving very deep into the draft in a territory where I'm not very familiar with the prospects. However, I know one player who I think is vastly underrated and that's A.J. Klein. He was very productive in college for multiple seasons and is a big big linebacker at 250 pounds, but he ran a surprisingly fast 4,6 in the 40 yard dash at the combine. Klein is projected to go in the 4-6 range and I would be very happy to get him there.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Hey, what about Audie cole? May be a sleeper in the works.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I don't need to vote, but I am guessing the Vikings will be taking T'eo in the 1st rd.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Jonathan Bostic is going to be a dam good player and start for some team in the future, may need a year or two to get there, but you'll see. We need help NOW! Te'O can step in and start right away, just keep him away from twitter and facebook....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

smegmavike is online now Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Hey, what about Audie cole? May be a sleeper in the works.
    Actually his measurables are in line with most of the Mike backers from this draft class, and better than some.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Couple of thoughts.....

1. There is a distinct difference between a IB (3-4) and a MLB (4-3).

2. Right now there are only two that are projected as 1rst round talent (that means they can come in and start right away). Teo and Minter. Ogltree is projected as a IB because he can't stop the run.

3. I like Minter more than I do Teo but I think both will eventually be great MLB's.

4. My guess is that the staff will go with Teo. Of note, Ourlads actually did a nice break down of Teo in their magazine and said that he played most of the season out of position because ND was running a 4-2 vice a 4-3.

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY....If we don't fix our DT issues, it won't matter who they plug in at MLB because we will continue to see what we say with Jasper

a. Looks bad in coverage. Happens when the Mike has to mug up to the line. He then starts 2 to 3 steps out of position if caught up there and it turns out to be a pass play.

b. Looks bad in run support. Happens when the 1 tech doesn't eat up two blockers. The G (or C) can then disengage in the Zone Blocking schemes prevalent in the league and engage the Mike which allows big gains on the run.

In short, GET ME A WARPIG darnit.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I watched video of Te'o, Ogletree and Minter all against Alabama last year on draftbreakdown.com.

They all have one thing in common, Alabama made them all look bad. Lacey ran all over each of them. Warmack constantly came out and controlled them and they all looked lost for much of the game. Alabama just overpowered each of those teams and mixed things up enough to keep them guessing most of the time...and they usually guessed wrong.

That's not necessarily a knock on these guys as Alabama made it pretty difficult, but I don't think you can put Minter or Ogletree ahead of Te'o because of his performance against Alabama as they all looked equally bad.

A couple things do stand out to me though. Ogletree plays very high, likes to tackle RB's high and uses his hands more than his shoulders to bring guys down. Minter looks a bit slow, but very solid with his legs. If he makes the wrong read, he's finished on the play. Just not athletic enough to recover. Te'o plays all aspects of the MLB position well, not great, but well. Ogletree is the most athletic, he can recover better than most when he makes the wrong read, but doesn't seem to like the dirty work involved with the position. He may be better served as an OLB where he can utilize his athleticism better.

My preference for the Vikings would be in this order: Brown (if healthy), Te'o, Ogletree and then Minter. Although Bostic and Minter look very similar to me and Alonso is intriguing. Beginning to wonder if #23/#25 is worth spending on one of these guys.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I watched video of Te'o, Ogletree and Minter all against Alabama last year on draftbreakdown.com.

They all have one thing in common, Alabama made them all look bad. Lacey ran all over each of them. Warmack constantly came out and controlled them and they all looked lost for much of the game. Alabama just overpowered each of those teams and mixed things up enough to keep them guessing most of the time...and they usually guessed wrong.

That's not necessarily a knock on these guys as Alabama made it pretty difficult, but I don't think you can put Minter or Ogletree ahead of Te'o because of his performance against Alabama as they all looked equally bad.

A couple things do stand out to me though. Ogletree plays very high, likes to tackle RB's high and uses his hands more than his shoulders to bring guys down. Minter looks a bit slow, but very solid with his legs. If he makes the wrong read, he's finished on the play. Just not athletic enough to recover. Te'o plays all aspects of the MLB position well, not great, but well. Ogletree is the most athletic, he can recover better than most when he makes the wrong read, but doesn't seem to like the dirty work involved with the position. He may be better served as an OLB where he can utilize his athleticism better.

My preference for the Vikings would be in this order: Brown (if healthy), Te'o, Ogletree and then Minter. Although Bostic and Minter look very similar to me and Alonso is intriguing. Beginning to wonder if #23/#25 is worth spending on one of these guys.
    Hell of a great post with many good points. Nice to see you one here, tastywaves!

I also think Minter is being somewhat overrated at this point.

smegmavike is online now Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Couple of thoughts.....

1. There is a distinct difference between a IB (3-4) and a MLB (4-3).

2. Right now there are only two that are projected as 1rst round talent (that means they can come in and start right away). Teo and Minter. Ogltree is projected as a IB because he can't stop the run.

3. I like Minter more than I do Teo but I think both will eventually be great MLB's.

4. My guess is that the staff will go with Teo. Of note, Ourlads actually did a nice break down of Teo in their magazine and said that he played most of the season out of position because ND was running a 4-2 vice a 4-3.

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY....If we don't fix our DT issues, it won't matter who they plug in at MLB because we will continue to see what we say with Jasper

a. Looks bad in coverage. Happens when the Mike has to mug up to the line. He then starts 2 to 3 steps out of position if caught up there and it turns out to be a pass play.

b. Looks bad in run support. Happens when the 1 tech doesn't eat up two blockers. The G (or C) can then disengage in the Zone Blocking schemes prevalent in the league and engage the Mike which allows big gains on the run.

In short, GET ME A WARPIG darnit.
    Welcome back old friend. Agreed ! It wont matter which MLB you chose if you don't get a stout DT playing in front of him. This is probably the year to take a DT in the early rounds.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Just curious Mar which of the 1 techniques are you wanting the most? Hankins in round two seems to make the most sense to me if they go MLB and WR/CB with 23 and 25. I'm not much of a scout though more just collector of many others' opinions.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast