Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Vikings To Meet With Breaston

    Report: Vikings Scheduled To Meet With Steve Breaston

    Report: Vikings Scheduled To Meet With Steve Breaston - Daily Norseman

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,559
    could be competition for one of our needing upgrade WR group.. though i don't see him being a star. he seems to at least be able to catch!

    DiGiTaL

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  3. #3
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    He had a few promising years before completely disappearing last year. Anyone know what happened to him?

    Anyway, he fits the mold for what I am expecting this year. Young, not commanding a huge contract, lot of potential but not proven. Whether we like it or not, that is the type of FA we are going to be bringing in under Spielman. His goal is to build through the draft and supplement the players with low price FAs, sometimes finding a diamond in the rough like Felton.

    If we addressed WR early in the draft, I could see a WR corp of Beaston, Wright, rookie, and maybe Harvin. That would be an improvement.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #4
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841
    I don't think that is just Spielman's general game plan, but a result of how close we are to the salary cap and the fact that it isn't growing like it used to...and how many high priced vets we do still have around. Allen, KWill, Peterson, Greenway & Winfield are currently set to eat about $54.5 million of our cap space...or, roughly 44%. That leaves 56% of our salary cap for the other 47 players. Which, obviously, limits what we can spend where. And, that is with us getting a deal for young guys like Kalil, Rudolf, and perhaps Ponder at the moment.

    And, my assumption that we would resign the two obvous choices in Felton and Loadholt has slipped into more of a hope. Last thing we need to do is add RT to our list of draft needs. But those two guys alone will likely carry a cap hit of over 10 mil/year, narrowing our space to another bargain basement free agency period. In short, to improve, we have to have a good draft!

    Edit: OH, and back to Breaston...he's a good complimentary receiver, but far from a no.1 option or a deep threat.
    IF we sign him, it may be a sign we are backing up our slot options for life after Percy...
    Last edited by mountainviking; 02-27-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  5. #5
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916
    Dumpster diving again. I love thrash. Our GM hasn't realize that an Allen extension would clear up about another 8 million in cap along with a KW extension would add about another 4 million in cap. Cutting the bum Carlson would clear another 5 million in cap. The reason we are close to the cap is because we have a bunch of junk contracts eatting up our cap. While other teams are getting ready to remedy the problem. We are going to dumpster dive and then clear the cap. Clear the cap, bring in a talented FA and front load their contact with a signing/roster bonus this year when you handle in house. We have all these FAs and we aren't signing them. Keep telling me that our idiot GM knows what he is doing as we continually field the worst WR corps in the lead. Its so pathetic that Breaston instantly becomes our 2nd best WR. SMFH

  6. #6
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I don't think that is just Spielman's general game plan, but a result of how close we are to the salary cap and the fact that it isn't growing like it used to...and how many high priced vets we do still have around. Allen, KWill, Peterson, Greenway & Winfield are currently set to eat about $54.5 million of our cap space...or, roughly 44%. That leaves 56% of our salary cap for the other 47 players. Which, obviously, limits what we can spend where. And, that is with us getting a deal for young guys like Kalil, Rudolf, and perhaps Ponder at the moment.

    And, my assumption that we would resign the two obvous choices in Felton and Loadholt has slipped into more of a hope. Last thing we need to do is add RT to our list of draft needs. But those two guys alone will likely carry a cap hit of over 10 mil/year, narrowing our space to another bargain basement free agency period. In short, to improve, we have to have a good draft!

    Edit: OH, and back to Breaston...he's a good complimentary receiver, but far from a no.1 option or a deep threat.
    IF we sign him, it may be a sign we are backing up our slot options for life after Percy...
    IDK, we actually aren't in cap hell, and there is a lot of wiggle room for us to work some contracts to make it even better. Spielman said that was our main goal in an interview with PA. He said that making big splashes in FA to pick up aging veterans is not on the Vikings agenda.

    I think they would make a splash for a younger player if there is one available, but we won't be bringing in anyone out of their second contract.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #7
    Randy Moss's Avatar
    Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    453
    Percy, #1 Pick, Simpson, Breaston, Wright, sounds like it could be a decent receiving corps to me. Although we would be seriously undersized, so we would probably have to keep Jenkins or someone similar around.
    Breaston is a good player who has put up decent numbers in the past. I think he'd be a good pickup. They aren't going to sign a top FA wide receiver when they're planning on drafting one. Breaston is about the best you can get without breaking the bank.

  8. #8
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Dumpster diving again. I love thrash. Our GM hasn't realize that an Allen extension would clear up about another 8 million in cap along with a KW extension would add about another 4 million in cap. Cutting the bum Carlson would clear another 5 million in cap. The reason we are close to the cap is because we have a bunch of junk contracts eatting up our cap. While other teams are getting ready to remedy the problem. We are going to dumpster dive and then clear the cap. Clear the cap, bring in a talented FA and front load their contact with a signing/roster bonus this year when you handle in house. We have all these FAs and we aren't signing them. Keep telling me that our idiot GM knows what he is doing as we continually field the worst WR corps in the lead. Its so pathetic that Breaston instantly becomes our 2nd best WR. SMFH
    You need to brush up on your salary cap math.

    Cutting Carlson would NOT clear $5 million in cap. In fact, we would take a $4 million dollar cap hit because any unamoratized bonus money is immediately counted against the cap, although if he were cut after June 1 it could be spread out over two seasons. He is due $2.9 million this season, with $1.2 million being guaranteed if he is on the roster come June 1. So if we cut him BEFORE June 1 we would be taking a $4 million cap hit in order to save $2.9 million in salary. If we cut him AFTER June 1 we would have paid him $1.2 million, taken the remaining $2.8 million in cap hit spread out over 2 years. In this case we will have taken a $2.6 million cap hit this year and a $1.4 million cap hit NEXT year to save $1.7 million in salary.

    The best thing we can do with Carlson in terms of cap space is to retain him on the roster this year. His salary will only count $2.9 million against the cap this year. Next year if he still sucks major eggs, he will be an easy cap causality, because the cap hit for cutting him will only be $2.8 million when he is due $3.9 million in salary.

    There are workout bonuses too that I didn't figure into the equation, but that would only make the cap hits higher. I think his workout bonuses are $100k.

    You are pretty far off on the Allen and KW extension math too. Yes, we could rework their contracts to free up some cap space - not $12 million, but still a decent amount. Both KW and Allen's cap impacts have their original signing bonuses included. Reworking a contract will allow you to reduce current year salary and prorate a new signing bonus across the length of the contract, but the original signing bonus allocation is retained.

    And finally, the Vikings have plenty of cap space. We are sitting right under $12 million right now, which is in the top 10 or 11 of teams in terms of how much cap space is currently available. At this point in the offseason, that is a pretty healthy spot to be.

    There is a lot more that goes into FA and contracts that many don't see or know, and yet are quick to criticize or call Spielman an idiot because they are convinced that they know how to clear $17 million in cap space that Spielman some how missed...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #9
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,879
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Dumpster diving again. I love thrash. Our GM hasn't realize that an Allen extension would clear up about another 8 million in cap along with a KW extension would add about another 4 million in cap. Cutting the bum Carlson would clear another 5 million in cap. The reason we are close to the cap is because we have a bunch of junk contracts eatting up our cap. While other teams are getting ready to remedy the problem. We are going to dumpster dive and then clear the cap. Clear the cap, bring in a talented FA and front load their contact with a signing/roster bonus this year when you handle in house. We have all these FAs and we aren't signing them. Keep telling me that our idiot GM knows what he is doing as we continually field the worst WR corps in the lead. Its so pathetic that Breaston instantly becomes our 2nd best WR. SMFH
    Cutting Carlson would create more of a cap hit then keeping him. His signing bonus of $5M will accelerate and the remaining $4M will go against the cap. Plus as I understand it, he has an additional $1.2M of his 2013 base salary guaranteed creating a total cap hit of $5.2M. Keeping him on the roster is a $4M cap hit. $2.9M base, $1m signing bonus and $100k workout incentive. Plus you need to add the cost of his replacement. Like it or not, Carlson has at least one more year on the roster.

    In terms of KW, JA restructuring their contracts. I guarantee you the discussions are happening. KW seems more likely as he has already indicated that he was willing to look at it. JA is a bit trickier and they could probably pull something off with him but that would most likely mean a longer term commitment to him that is still significantly large. He might be a guy that you let ride out his last year and then test the FA market.

    I think our idiot GM knows a lot more about the cap then your giving him credit.

    If Breaston comes in, it will no doubt be a fairly small contract and probably a minimal commitment. Another Simpson like contract. He will compete to make the team and add depth. And like you said, he probably moves up to #2 or #3 on current roster. This news is hardly worth going crazy over. Draft a WR in rounds 1 or 2, keep Harvin, throw Simpson and a guy like Breaston in the mix, dump guys like Aroma, Burton and Jenkins and you have an improved WR roster that still allows you to make other signings.

    It's not the all diva WR corps many are hoping for, but I'm not sure we would know what to do with them if we did get them.

  10. #10
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    Percy, #1 Pick, Simpson, Breaston, Wright, sounds like it could be a decent receiving corps to me. Although we would be seriously undersized, so we would probably have to keep Jenkins or someone similar around.
    Breaston is a good player who has put up decent numbers in the past. I think he'd be a good pickup. They aren't going to sign a top FA wide receiver when they're planning on drafting one. Breaston is about the best you can get without breaking the bank.
    That would be decent, although you are right, we would be undersized. In this instance we would really need to pick up a big WR in the draft. Obviously we would be targeting Cordarrelle Patterson or Keenan Allen in the draft. I doubt Patterson will be there at 23, but Allen should be.

    Another WR I really like is Justin Hunter. He is huge (6'4") and has a big vertical. And he should still be there in the second round when the Vikings pick. If Patterson is gone in round 1, I would consider skipping Allen and going for a MLB instead, and then targeting Hunter in round 2.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •