Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings may lose CB Brian Williams

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    Sean Jensen (beat writer St. Paul Pioneer Press) just stated on KFAN radio that the Vikings used the Transition Tag on him which allows the Vikings to match any offer on him that could pay him an average of the top 10 CB salaries in the league. This is a way for the Vikings to resign Williams cheaply if there is no market for him.

However, Jensen told PA that it is about 99.99% that Williams will not be back with the Vikings because he doesn't want to play for the Vikings anymore and he feels slighted by the Vikings signing Smoot last offseason. Jensen said that even if the money is slightly more here he still sees Williams leaving and he said how can the Vikings justify overpaying to keep Williams with all the money they have tid up in CB already.
    Wow, you posted this at 10:24am and it didn't get a response for a whole hour.

OMV had the right idea, something like this needs a new title to catch the eye and bring attention to it. Even if, the Mods can splice them together at a later date.
    The person who originated the thread can edit his first post & change the title at anytime. :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

aceclown is offline Coach

"ejmat" wrote:
    I am very surprised they slapped the tag on him with the amount of money it would cost to keep him. At this time last year I felt B-Will was being arrogant wanting more money and holding out when he did nothing during the 2004 season that warratned a raise. Now I think he deserves a raise (not sure if 6 mil is deserved) but in any case I would like him to remain a Viking a pay him what he's worth.

Personally I don't think paying him close to 6 mil is smart but I guess that's why I do what I do and the Viking organization does what they do. I do want him a Viking though.
    being that it is the transition tag, the number is not 6 mil, it is 4.7 mil.

Chuch.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

So we used the transition tag on B. Williams? and who are we going to use the franchise tag on?

tiersius is offline Rookie

"PackSux!" wrote:
    So we used the transition tag on B. Williams? and who are we going to use the franchise tag on?
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

tiersius is offline Rookie

They have to use the franchise tag by the end of today, don't they?

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

ESPN Insider
    Minnesota (placed transition tag on DC Brian Williams): This move raised some eyebrows. Williams, who will earn $4,774,000 in 2006, is a solid corner, but the Vikings are already committed at the position. With Williams receiving the transition number, it could mean the end of a short Vikings career for DC Fred Smoot, who signed a lucrative free-agent deal last offseason.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

the only problem i have with K.Will is this.

"[Williams] would like to move on," agent Jordan Feagan said this morning. "He's expressed to them that he would rather not go back."

That does not bode well in my mind.. but.. i'd rather hear it from the horses mouth.. especially if they decide to match any offer.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"digital420" wrote:
    the only problem i have with K.Will is this.

"[Williams] would like to move on," agent Jordan Feagan said this morning. "He's expressed to them that he would rather not go back."

That does not bode well in my mind.. but.. i'd rather hear it from the horses mouth.. especially if they decide to match any offer.

DiGiTaL
    You mean B-Will, don't you?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

( http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9260443 )
    [size=24px]Vikings put transition tag on CB Williams [/size]
    NFL.com wire reports

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (Feb. 23, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings named cornerback Brian Williams as their transition player, which prevents him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

By league rules, the Vikings must tender Williams a one-year qualifying offer at the average of the 10 highest-paid players at his position or 120 percent of his 2005 salary -- whichever is greater. Williams will still be allowed to sign an offer sheet with another team, which Minnesota would have a week to match.

The NFL's deadline for designating franchise or transition players was Feb. 23.

Williams replaced an injured Fred Smoot, one of the Vikings' top free-agent signings last year, and started the last eight games. Williams played well enough to keep his spot when Smoot returned, relegating Smoot to the nickelback role.

A fourth-round draft pick out of North Carolina State in 2002, Williams has started 48 of a possible 66 games in his career. He had 11 passes defended and four interceptions last season.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415