Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings may impose new fan fees

Minn. Gov. Dayton objects to Vikings suggestion they may impose new fan fees toward stadium

Read more: Minn. Gov. Dayton objects to Vikings suggestion they may impose new fan fees toward stadium | Fox News

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Governor won't stand for Vikings stadium seat licenses

Gov. Mark Dayton on Tuesday threatened to undo the historic and hard-fought deal to build a new Minnesota Vikings stadium if team owners insist on passing on to fans a portion of the team's share of the $975 million cost.
    Governor won't stand for Vikings stadium seat licenses | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings may impose new fan fees

Where did Dayton honestly think a half billion dollars was going to come from to pay for the new stadium? Maybe he thinks everyone has a personal trust fund in South Dakota that holds their inheritance from the family fortune.

Did anyone honestly believe the costs wouldn't skyrocket in the new digs ?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think the Governor is talking out of his ass. Seat licenses are not some big surprise that the Vikings are springing on the state now. The stadium bill very specifically mentioned seat licenses. This is just him trying to save some political clout.

I would be shocked if he actually made an effort to get the legislature to renege on the stadium bill. Not only would that leave him open to a HUGE PR attack, but it would also very likely result in legal action. And if the legislature did indeed break contract, the Vikings would leave with the approval and blessing of every single NFL owner.

Dayton needs to shut his mouth.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Where did Dayton honestly think a half billion dollars was going to come from to pay for the new stadium? Maybe he thinks everyone has a personal trust fund in South Dakota that holds their inheritance from the family fortune.

Did anyone honestly believe the costs wouldn't skyrocket in the new digs ?
    I don't think game day costs are going to skyrocket - in a small market that already struggles to fill the stadium, raising every day costs would be a huge financial mistake. Plus, the operating revenue of the stadium isn't tied to the private contribution - that is one of the reasons for the stadium authority.

PSLs however, were always part of the plan. I was part of the survey that the Vikings sent out. Some of the options that they presented didn't even include PSLs for the entire stadium. At least one of the options had the endzones and corners of the upper deck free.

If the Vikings didn't do PSLs, the overall price of the ticket would increase. I would rather have the price passed onto season ticket holders. If people don't want to buy PSLs they have a simple choice - don't buy season tickets. There will be game day tickets for sale, and they won't include them.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    I'm not sure where Dayton is coming from (other than political grandstanding), the Twins use PSLs for an area of prime seating (I think I read last year that it was legends club seating had PSL of $1000.00 a seat) and the Wilf's did have builders licenses in the agreement as well as the overseas games that Dayton is also balking at now too.

Having said that I'm not a big fan of the PSLs and they can appear to be a bit of a one side sham for the owners, if you don't sell your psl or renew your tickets you lose it and depending on the market value you bought it at and how the team is doing you can end up eating some big dollars. The worst story I've heard was when the Panthers were in the tank and John Fox was on his way out and everybody knew it a fan called into the NFL movin the chains complaining about the direction of the team. He was complaining that Jerry Richardson owed the fans a better effort and product on the field and the return comment was boycott the product and don't renew your season tickets...the guy had 4 psl's that cost him $10k each (current value was now about a grand) and nobody was interested in buying them and if he didn't renew his tickets he forfeited the licenses.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    I would not be happy with the PSL if I were an average fan season ticket holder. I agree with Souhan in todays Trib.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    I would not be happy with the PSL if I were an average fan season ticket holder. I agree with Souhan in todays Trib.
    There is a difference between being happy with PSLs and understanding their need.

As a season ticket holder I don't exactly relish the idea of spending a few thousand dollars just to renew the seats that I have had for almost a decade. Especially now that we are trying to conserve money with the wife going back to school.

But I also understand that they need to raise revenue for the private contribution. And because the revenue from ticket sales are shared in the NFL, simply raising ticket prices won't do it. PSLs are one of the few ways that the owner can pass along a part of the cost to the fans who actually attend the games regularly.

And before someone pipes in with the response that the Wilfs are making millions from the Vikings without PSLs, keep in mind that they are still going to be spending more than half a BILLION dollars on a stadium that they WILL NOT OWN and will have to lease. Even if all 50,000 season ticket seats are renewed with PSLs averaging $2000, we are looking at $100 million in PSL revenue tops. The Wilfs are still throwing a pretty big chunk of change at the stadium.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't think game day costs are going to skyrocket - in a small market that already struggles to fill the stadium, raising every day costs would be a huge financial mistake. Plus, the operating revenue of the stadium isn't tied to the private contribution - that is one of the reasons for the stadium authority.

PSLs however, were always part of the plan. I was part of the survey that the Vikings sent out. Some of the options that they presented didn't even include PSLs for the entire stadium. At least one of the options had the endzones and corners of the upper deck free.

If the Vikings didn't do PSLs, the overall price of the ticket would increase. I would rather have the price passed onto season ticket holders. If people don't want to buy PSLs they have a simple choice - don't buy season tickets. There will be game day tickets for sale, and they won't include them.

Well, you may be right but I don't think you are. The price of everything from parking to hot dogs (look for Cheboygan hot dogs to be the official dog since Julie Rosen owns them) to beer to tickets will need to go up dramatically to pay the costs of the stadium. If not, then where will the money come from? I understand pull tabs will contribute but they will need to have remarkable sales to put a dent in the cost.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    And before someone pipes in with the response that the Wilfs are making millions from the Vikings without PSLs, keep in mind that they are still going to be spending more than half a BILLION dollars on a stadium that they WILL NOT OWN and will have to lease. Even if all 50,000 season ticket seats are renewed with PSLs averaging $2000, we are looking at $100 million in PSL revenue tops. The Wilfs are still throwing a pretty big chunk of change at the stadium.
    I'll disagree with you to a point, Paul. I'd venture to guess that virtually ALL of the Vikings $427M share will come from the fans pockets and none from Wilf's personal fortune. You may rightly argue that he'll pay "his share" from the profits from the new stadium...but it still doesn't change the fact that higher ticket prices, parking, concessions, and probably PSLs that will generate those profits will come straight out of our pockets and not really his.

The question is, would fans rather pay a portion of those costs up front in the form of a PSL, or just pay even higher ticket prices over a longer period of time? Will PSL holders get some additional benefit other than having the privilege of paying for season tickets, such as the ability to buy tickets for those seats for any event the new stadium might have? And why shouldn't single game ticket buyers share the pain/costs of the new stadium through the price of the tickets they buy?

I'd rather not have PSLs for the fact that if the cost of Wilf's share is tied up completely in ticket/parking/concessions prices, that keeps pressure on the owners to keep the team competitive so that people will continue to buy tickets. If we are forced to invest in PSLs and the team stinks, our PSL investment can lose significant value with no recourse on our part (unlike stockholders who can persuade the Board of Directors to fire a CEO). And tying up "our investment" in higher ticket/parking/concession prices spreads the cost to all patrons buying tickets for the game, not just season ticket holders.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast