Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings: Low mileage, high risk

Everyone likes bringing up that Green Bay game but had Troy not dropped that pass down the middle of the field when he had the secondary beat we would be hyping Jackson up because he won his first ever start in a rough place to play.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"Overlord" wrote:
    The Vikings report to camp Wednesday with an unprecedented lack of experience at the quarterback position.
    Okay, so I see how Seifert added up the number of starts for all our QBs to get this, but what are we really talking about here?
    The guy that's going to make it happen or not is our starting QB, Tarvaris Jackson.
    And it's not unprecedented or unusual to have a guy start after essentially a year of riding the bench.
    Heck, it's not impossible for that guy to be successful either.

Here's the easy example: Daunte didn't really play his rookie season (I think he got into one game), but started his entire second season.
    He did pretty well - tossing 33 TDs to 16 INTs with a QB rating of 98.0.
    So it's quite possible to do well as an inexperienced new starter.

Of course, in line with mountainviking's comment, Daunte was playing with one of the most talented offensive groups of all time, and Tarvaris is playing with... well... they're not as good.
    Yes good stats for a QB in his first full season as starter.
    However, he had Moss and Carter on the Receiving end of his passes.
    That would give him a huge advantage over TJack.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    The Vikings report to camp Wednesday with an unprecedented lack of experience at the quarterback position.
    Okay, so I see how Seifert added up the number of starts for all our QBs to get this, but what are we really talking about here?
    The guy that's going to make it happen or not is our starting QB, Tarvaris Jackson.
    And it's not unprecedented or unusual to have a guy start after essentially a year of riding the bench.

Here's the easy example: Daunte didn't really play his rookie season (I think he got into one game), but started his entire second season.

Of course, in line with mountainviking's comment, Daunte was playing with one of the most talented offensive groups of all time, and Tarvaris is playing with... well... they're not as good.
    Christy,McDaniel,Dixon,Stringer, and Steussie didn't hurt either.

Give Tarvaris the same time Culpepper had and he ,along with his receivers, are bound to do well, given our running game.

Much depends onhow the offensive coordinator calls the plays.

My first play of the season against Atlanta would be a play action with Chester Taylor and a bomb over the top to T-Will. Send a message early.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

Give Tarvaris the same time Culpepper had and he ,along with his receivers, are bound to do well, given our running game.

My first play of the season against Atlanta would be a play action with Chester Taylor and a bomb over the top to T-Will. Send a message early.
    Yes, it was a luxury to work behind that line.
    I hope Twill doesn't drop the pass.
    If he does his career is over.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

Yes, it was a luxury to work behind that line.
    I hope Twill doesn't drop the pass.
    If he does his career is over.
    yeah we cant have him lose confidence early... throw it to rice!!!
    ;D

Thanks josdin00

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Overlord" wrote:

Good point, I think.
    By the way, I like your avatar, that charlie brown cracks me up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12