Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: Low mileage, high risk

[size=13pt]Vikings: Low mileage, high risk[/size]

The Vikings report to camp Wednesday with an unprecedented lack of experience at the quarterback position. Coach Brad Childress appears ready to take the leap of faith.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: July 25, 2007 – 12:12 AM

And so the debate begins. Do the Vikings have a good quarterback hiding in their midst, ready to compete on an NFL level this season?....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings: Low mileage, high risk

"It's like putting a 16-year-old behind the wheel of a car," said Gannon, who worked with Vikings quarterbacks as a consultant this spring. "You've been to the driver's education class and did a good job in the parking lot. But then they throw you out there in the middle of rush hour and see what you do. You might survive, but it's because you don't know what you don't know.
    Bad analogy.
    I just got the second of 2 kids behind the weel.
    I surely didn't just stick them in a drivers ed class and then send them on thier way.

In fact, they both went through a drivers ed course in school were they opened books (likened to playbooks) and watched movies and does/don'ts (game film) and hand lessons taught by a drivers ed teacher (coach).

After that they had to take a written test for a learners permit in which they had to spend (we actually have to sign a log here in VA) at least 40 hours behind the wheel with a parent/guardian with a license.
    The they both had to take a two week behind the wheel class before they took thier behind the wheel test (spring training).

Of course it is silly to try to equate my kids and how they got thier drivers license.
    Again, bad analogy.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote
    Of course it is silly to try to equate my kids and how they got thier drivers license.
    Again, bad analogy.
    :
    LOL, I am assuming he's not called Wildchild for nothing.

I have been waiting for this specific statement for awhile (especially from Rogers)...

As players report to Minnesota State Mankato, the Vikings are confident Jackson at least has the capacity to make good decisions. In fact, Jackson has picked up the West Coast offense at an "unbelievable" rate, quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers said.
    ahhhh... that relaxes the shoulders a bit.

Thanks for the link Sing Sing.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "It's like putting a 16-year-old behind the wheel of a car," said Gannon, who worked with Vikings quarterbacks as a consultant this spring. "You've been to the driver's education class and did a good job in the parking lot. But then they throw you out there in the middle of rush hour and see what you do. You might survive, but it's because you don't know what you don't know.
    Bad analogy.
    I surely didn't just stick them in a drivers ed class and then send them on thier way.

In fact, they both went through a drivers ed course in school were they opened books (likened to playbooks) and watched movies and does/don'ts (game film) and hand lessons taught by a drivers ed teacher (coach).

After that they had to take a written test for a learners permit in which they had to spend (we actually have to sign a log here in VA) at least 40 hours behind the wheel with a parent/guardian with a license.
    The they both had to take a two week behind the wheel class before they took thier behind the wheel test (spring training).

Again, bad analogy.
    :
    I thought it was a pretty good analogy. You prepare the best you can, but there is still no substitute for experience. Kids, like rookies are much more likely to have an accident or two. They might not know what to do when the car breaks down, what to do when they get lost, how to change a tire etc etc. The way most of us learned all those things is through experience.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"Billy" wrote:
    As players report to Minnesota State Mankato, the Vikings are confident Jackson at least has the capacity to make good decisions. In fact, Jackson has picked up the West Coast offense at an "unbelievable" rate, quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers said.
    ahhhh... that relaxes the shoulders a bit.
    Agreed, and so does this:

"...That was probably the most pleasant surprise I had with him: how bright he is."
    I am really pumped now...
    ;D
    -Sno

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Bad analogy.

Again, bad analogy.
    :
    Not if you add: I then entered them into the Indianapolis 500!
    ;D
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Gannon says:
    "I think back to my career, the first seven or eight years, and I was out of my brain. That's how long it takes to learn the position."
    He must have been a VERY SLOW LEARNER because I can name you any number of QB's that were starters who did great by their 2nd or 3rd year. I still contend it's not as much as the QB being great as it is having someone who is SMART and given enough time to read the receivers. A luxury no QB had for the Vikings last year.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Here we go again...maybe there should be an official "TJack is or isn't the man" thread??

Whatever...seems like the place to share a bit of an opinion I got this weekend.
    Talked to some sort of World Fantasy Football Champ who claimed that Chilly is not happy with his QBs' progress and IS looking to add a vet, BUT everything I see, says he is standing pat.
    Newest team report (7-24) on cbssportsline says,
    "Despite recent speculation the Vikings are looking to add a veteran quarterback before training camp, Brad Childress said this is not the case."
    He goes on to talk about how there are always names of players they like being pinned up, shuffled around and looked into..."it's an endless process."
    Of course, this could be more smoke and mirrors...maybe he's waiting for PHI to cut Holcomb so he doesn't cost us a pick, but you've got to think that ATL is looking pretty hard right now.

There were some quotes I liked in this article too:
    The Vikings consider Bollinger wise beyond his experience — a player who could provide strong mentorship. The son of a college football coach, Bollinger is a "football gym rat," Rogers said, and received his NFL indoctrination from two smart quarterbacks: the Jets' Chad Pennington and Vinny Testaverde.

"Somewhere," Childress said, "you have to take that step. Unless you're George Blanda, you're not going to be playing into your 50s. And so somewhere, you end up making an investment in young guys and playing them. Whether that's Tarvaris or Brooks this year, that's what you do."

"There are limited opportunities to get guys prepared," Childress said. "You have a 20-play period and you have 12 plays scripted for your [starters]. You do the math on how many turns the starters are going to get and then the [backups]."
    Sounds like we're set.
    Brooks has embraced the mentor role, in his father's camp, and with the Vikings...TJack needs trial by fire to get better.
    The more you do anything the better you get!

And, as expected, we'll be relying on strong Defense and a good running game to help the young guy out
    ;D
    I didn't think he looked all bad last year...he threw the ball away when needed, avoided some pressure, got some first downs with his feet, completed 58% of his passes (better than Vick ever has in a season)...and, Troy dropped one TD pass (der, da der) and we had another huge pass called back on a bullsheet offensive pass interference call (man the refs hated Travis Taylor last year!) OR we would have beat the Packers!!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!
    HERE COMES THE (BOOM!) FUTURE, READY OR NOT!! ;D
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Gannon says:
    "I think back to my career, the first seven or eight years, and I was out of my brain. That's how long it takes to learn the position."
    He must have been a VERY SLOW LEARNER because I can name you any number of QB's that were starters who did great by their 2nd or 3rd year. I still contend it's not as much as the QB being great as it is having someone who is SMART and given enough time to read the receivers. A luxury no QB had for the Vikings last year.
    True Dat!!
    Here's a quote from BChill last year that I liked so much it got copied to the top of my personal fantasy football rankings:

“It is the ultimate team sport. Again, you're only as good as the guys standing next to you. You can be a great individual player, but if you don't get the protection, what good is he?”
    -Brad Childress
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

The Vikings report to camp Wednesday with an unprecedented lack of experience at the quarterback position.
    Okay, so I see how Seifert added up the number of starts for all our QBs to get this, but what are we really talking about here?
    The guy that's going to make it happen or not is our starting QB, Tarvaris Jackson.
    And it's not unprecedented or unusual to have a guy start after essentially a year of riding the bench.
    Heck, it's not impossible for that guy to be successful either.

Here's the easy example: Daunte didn't really play his rookie season (I think he got into one game), but started his entire second season.
    He did pretty well - tossing 33 TDs to 16 INTs with a QB rating of 98.0.
    So it's quite possible to do well as an inexperienced new starter.

Of course, in line with mountainviking's comment, Daunte was playing with one of the most talented offensive groups of all time, and Tarvaris is playing with... well... they're not as good.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast