singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings lost a lot when Gilliam was nudged out

[size=13pt]Souhan: Vikings lost a lot when Gilliam was nudged out[/size]

After 36 years, the talent evaluator received a low-ball offer and left. He'll be missed.

By Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

Last update: June 16, 2007 – 1:38 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Vikings lost a lot when Gilliam was nudged out

THIS little nugget scares me. Spielman wants to bring more of his Doplhin staff in? You mean, those juggernaut Dolphins? I have conceded that Rick Spielman has apparently redeemed himself with this last Viking draft, after I had been bemoaning his involvment before the draft; but more Dolphin scouts? And no Gilliam? A man who seems to have done a pretty good job over the years? Please, say it ain't so.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Just last spring, Gilliam helped identify Tarvaris Jackson as a prospect. Through the years, he and Reichow excelled at discovering late-round steals such as Brad Johnson, Terry Allen and Scott Studwell in the ninth round, and Robert Griffith and John Randle as college free agents.
    What did I say when this story first broke a couple of weeks ago? I said it was a mistake. We'll see what a prophet I am.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"HornedHat" wrote:
    THIS little nugget scares me. Spielman wants to bring more of his Doplhin staff in? You mean, those juggernaut Dolphins? I have conceded that Rick Spielman has apparently redeemed himself with this last Viking draft, after I had been bemoaning his involvment before the draft; but more Dolphin scouts? And no Gilliam? A man who seems to have done a pretty good job over the years? Please, say it ain't so.
    What scares me is both Childress & Spielman have brought in "friends" & put them on the billionaires payroll. Are they all qualified or are they doing their "friends" a favor?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

You know I am kindof torn on this one.

On one hand I find it a shame that we couldn't take care of a mainstay of the Vikings org and on the other I gotta wonder if change isn't always inevitable and sometimes for the betterment of the org.

I still remember the day Joey Browner left.
    :'(

Anyway, I'm with Singer, sure hope these guys are qualified and not just a couple of good old boys being rewarded for past favors.

Time will tell I guess. :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "HornedHat" wrote:
    What scares me is both Childress & Spielman have brought in "friends" & put them on the billionaires payroll. Are they all qualified or are they doing their "friends" a favor?
    Nothing against Gilliam...BUT if you READ the article, you will see that he originally got HIS job from an old "friend", Jerry Reichow.
    Granted, Gilliam has more than proven himself...BUT them's the breaks.
    Happy Retirement, Gill !
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"Marrdro" wrote:
    You know I am kindof torn on this one.

On one hand I find it a shame that we couldn't take care of a mainstay of the Vikings org and on the other I gotta wonder if change isn't always inevitable and sometimes for the betterment of the org.

I still remember the day Joey Browner left.

:'(

Anyway, I'm with Singer, sure hope these guys are qualified and not just a couple of good old boys being rewarded for past favors.

Time will tell I guess. :
    There's just too many of them on the coaching staff & in the executive positions to at least raise an eyebrow & suspiscion.

Could be they are all legit & Childress & Spielman personally knew they were all good at what they do, but between coaches, staff & ex-Eagle players, it made me wonder.

I recall someone posting here last year (a Dolphins fan) stating that we won't like Spielman & what he will do to the organization. I'm not positive, but I thought "bringing in his buddies" was one of them.