singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings on lookout for cameras filming injuries

[size=18px]Judd Zulgad: Vikings on lookout for cameras filming injuries[/size]

Judd Zulgad
    Last update: August 10, 2006 – 11:51 PM

The KSTP camera was isolated on Vikings safety Tank Williams Saturday with the expectation that this would provide yet another in a long line of mundane training-camp footage. But that changed when Williams crumpled to the ground after planting his foot and let out a scream.
    Williams had a broken left kneecap and, for better or worse, KSTP had the most compelling footage of the injury happening. Only viewers never saw it.

Why? Because of a rule the franchise instituted this year under new coach Brad Childress. It reads as follows: "Coach Childress requests the following of photographers: When a player incurs an injury on the practice field, still and video photography of the player is to halt immediately following the occurrence; cameras are asked not to film the player being treated by the medical staffs on the field."

It's a policy that Childress' former team, the Philadelphia Eagles, uses, as do the Green Bay Packers. Basically, when a player goes down the teams mandate that so do any cameras. "The Vikings requested the video not be shown out of sensitivity to the player who got hurt," said Bob Hagan, the Vikings' director of public relations.

One could argue that KSTP showing the injury as it occurred would not have violated this rule. It does say "following the occurrence." But at least one Vikings official knew what KSTP had, and a lengthy post-practice conversation ensued. The message was simple: Air the video and there could be consequences.

Right now, the Vikings allow stations to shoot all their practices in Mankato. However, under NFL rules they would be within their rights to implement restrictions. "It is permissible to limit the videotaping or photographing of certain portions of training-camp practices," Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations, said in an e-mail. The Detroit Lions, for instance, let television outlets film only a brief portion of practice during camp.

"Coach Childress' policy is way above and beyond what is required by NFL rules," Hagan said.

KSTP, which is the Vikings' partner for preseason games, never aired the Williams footage. Rob Hubbard, the station's general manager, wasn't involved in the initial call but said he did not object to how things played out. "I do know that our guys believe we told the story in a way it didn't matter," if we showed the injury, he said. "There is always more than one way to tell a story."

Internally, however, KSTP newsroom staffers have been told that if there is an injury to a significant player in the future it will be aired.

Lester Bagley, Vikings vice president of public affairs, made it clear that if that happens the issue will be addressed. "It would be a serious breach of the agreement," Bagley said. "I can't say I can tell you what we'd do but we'd have to take a hard look. We're happy they agreed to abide by our policy."

The story, however, does not end there. While Vikings officials saw KSTP filming, they did not know KMSP (Ch. 9) was rolling its camera as Williams lay on the ground. The Fox affiliate ran the footage, violating the policy. "I think the Vikings understand on some level that we have a job to do," said Bill Dallman, the station's news director. "There are times we are trying to do our job and don't think about some rules that somebody made. It wouldn't have crossed my mind not to use it."

Dallman did say if the Vikings talked to him before the footage aired that he would have "tried to work out an agreement." Bagley has yet to see what KMSP aired but said he is trying to "track it down," so he can get a look.

It's likely too late for any action to be taken in the case of the Williams injury, but this situation seems certain to arise again.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings on lookout for cameras filming injuries

i like that policy, much more considerate for the players

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

It's good to be able to see training camp footage, but seeing injuries can be depressing.

morphius is offline Rookie

Good rule not to show the footage, kind of pathetic that some station feels that it is their job to show the footage, as if saying that the player went down with a scream and reports say it is a broken knee cap can't get the point across.

But I guess if you don't have faith in your ability to get that across in words then maybe people should be asking what university you studied journalism at, as it is obvious that they let you down...

Sorry to hear about your player, sounds bad.
    it s not a sport until someone gets hit.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

It's in place to protect the Vikings from a lawsuit. Lawyers look at the stuff and the will try and say the Vikings medical staff did not follow protocol.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

darkflood is offline Starter

Did that say Bill Dallman, or Geraldo Rivera??? I know that "the public needs to know", but how far are we going to go? I'm not saying a training camp injury is anywhere in the same universe as troop movement, but this is retarded. Who wants to see that. Urrgghhhh!!!
    WELL, I LL ASK HIM, BUT I DON T THINK HE WILL BE VERY KEEN. UH, HE S ALREADY GOT ONE, YOU SEE.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

agreed

Go vikes!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It's just human nature for people to want to see that type of stuff.

How many times do you see people flock to a scene of an accident or fire?

How often do people drive to go see a town or country side that has been damaged
    by tornadoes, fire or floods?

How many times have you watched the Joe Theisman video?

Did you look at pics of the Rothlesburger accident?

I'm not saying it's right or justified, but reporters will film that kind of stuff because it sells air time, newspapers & magazines.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

exactly right singer, its kind of sad, but im guilty as well

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Yeah i have no problem with that policy. Yes its human nature to want to see that sort of stuff but its not like seeing an nfl player go down with an injury is that entertaining, atleast to see it happen.