Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

Vikings Looking at Linebackers....

Free-Agent Linebacker a Favorite of Safety

By: Tim Yotter

Date: Aug 16, 2006

Receiver isn’t the only position of need for the Vikings. With Chad Greenway’s season over, the team is looking at several linebackers, and one current Viking is hoping for an intriguing option.

Linebacker Chad Greenway’s 2006 season ended when he suffered a season-ending knee injury in the team’s preseason opener Monday night.

Following Wednesday morning’s practice, the team was working out a half-dozen prospects on a practice field at Minnesota State-Mankato’s training camp. They all appeared to be linebacker size and going through typical linebacker agility and speed drills.

Although the team wasn’t releasing the names of those that were working out, there is one prospect that would seem to fit the scheme, the need, and bring a family element to the roster – linebacker Jamie Sharper, the brother of safety Darren Sharper.

“I’m trying to get him in. He’s great. He’s been working out … the last two months. He’s in excellent condition. He worked out (last week) for the New England Patriots and they said he looked real good,” Sharper said.

Darren said he talked with Jamie Monday night after Greenway’s injury. Jamie suffered a staph infection in his knee last November as a member of the Seattle Seahawks and was placed on injured reserve in December, but Darren said Jamie is healthy and ready to play.

“He would fit in good. His weight is like 235, so he can move extremely well. He could probably play two spots, the weak side or the middle. He’s a guy that can bring you versatility and experience. He knows what to do,” Darren said.

However, Darren said he didn’t think Jamie had a workout scheduled with the Vikings. According to the Tampa Tribune, Jamie was also working out on a field adjacent to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice facility Tuesday, but Bucs GM Bruce Allen denied that Jamie was working out for the team.

Jamie signed a five-year, $17.5 million deal, including a $1.5 million signing bonus, with the Seahawks last year, but they released him in March. Previous to 2005, Jamie had started 127 of 128 games, including 121 consecutive games. He played strongside linebacker with the Seahawks.

Before signing with Seattle, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Jacksonville had each shown some interest in him. He was a second-round draft pick of the Baltimore Ravens in 1997 and also played with the Houston Texans before signing with the Seahawks.

Prior to joining Seattle, Jamie had more than 1,000 tackles, including 100 or more in six consecutive seasons, along with 25.5 career sacks, 14 forced fumbled, seven fumble recoveries and two interceptions.

Before being injured last season, Sharper started the first eight games of the season, registering 37 tackles and one forced fumble.

“He would love to be here, so hopefully it would work out,” Darren said.

Reuniting the two brothers, who played together at Hermitage High School in Richmond, Va., is something Darren would embrace.

“That would be a good cap of our careers. It would be good to play together and it would be even better if we could win the Super Bowl together. He has a ring and hopefully I can get one too, but it would be better if I could get one with him.”

MISSING BRETT

Told Brett Favre had called a press conference Wednesday morning, Darren Sharper, a former teammate of Favre’s in Green Bay, was asked to speculate if he thought the Packers quarterback was going to retire.

“He’s probably going to announce a fishing trip is what he’s going to do. He wouldn’t announce at this time,” Sharper said.

“I hope he

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings Looking at Linebackers....

niiiice, Jamie Sharper would be an awesome addition as long as he stays healthy.. ..i have to fill in 100 characters, so thats how i made it work
    :P
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

no more Seahawks!
    LOL
    Seriously this new minimum message thing is annoying
    what the heck....how many words do I have to type Webby?

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Prophet Guest

No mention of Donnie Edwards or even a cursory mention of Hank as a sideline rant?
    This author doesn't know what he's talking about.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

This is good news. The addition of Jamie Sharper or others will only strengthen the core of the linebacking unit. I hope that we get the other sharper though. It would be cool to have both sharper brothers on the team.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

I Would absolute love Jamie Sharper playing on our D with Darren!!

Looking sharper x2

He would also bring much needed leadership to our unproved Linebacking ground

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I would not mind if they brought in Jamie Sharper at all!

He has expierence and he is a solid player, he would be a backup and add depth he wouldn't be a starter.

If he has any gas left in his tank then let's take a look.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

“He would fit in good. His weight is like 235, so he can move extremely well. He could probably play two spots, the weak side or the middle. He’s a guy that can bring you versatility and experience. He knows what to do,” Darren said.

Could he REALLY play the middle?
    Just in case Napo craps out!

Still, we all know who would be the best fit!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"cajunvike" wrote:

Could back up both places i guess and battle out for a starting spot also.. the only lock so far i guess is strongside - Leber!

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:

Donnie Edwards and his bad back will not be seen in a Minnesota Vikings uniform anytime this year. I would not mind if we did bring Jamie in he could be helpful just as his brother was a year ago.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast