Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Vikings look to plug hole in the middle

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    If middle LB is the ONLY weak spot we have on defense, I'll be happy.
    But then we get the trickle-down effect... If the mike LB is lost, then he can't direct traffic. Then the OLBs get lost, or blow an assignment. Then the line has trouble penetrating...

I'd rather see a weak spot on the line, in all honesty...
    -Sno

"V4L" wrote:
    Strongside- Leber
    Middle- EJ
    Weakside- Greenway
    Vikings | No rookies top the depth chart heading into training camp
    Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:30:25 -0700

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress can't see any of the Vikings draft choices, including first-round draft pick LB Chad Greenway, being on the top offensive or defensive depth charts at the start of training camp. "(Greenway) is a backup as we go into training camp," Childress said. "I don't care if it's the kid from Texas (CB Cedric Griffin, the Vikings' second-round pick) or the center we drafted from New Mexico (OC Ryan Cook, another second-round pick). All those guys, it's on merit. It's not just because they were high draft choices."

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?all=1

Now, I'm not saying Greenway won't be starting by the beginning of the season. I just wanted to put that up for conversation's sake.

Prophet Guest

Childress said. "I don't care if it's the kid from Texas (CB Cedric Griffin, the Vikings' second-round pick) or the center we drafted from New Mexico (OC Ryan Cook, another second-round pick). All those guys, it's on merit. It's not just because they were high draft choices."
    Seems obvious, I'm not so sure Meathead was bright enough to figure that out though. I know Haslett wasn't.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    I have a strong feeling Napolean Harris is going to step up this season.
    I agree. It would not surprise me to see him win the job.

WWBGD

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    If middle LB is the ONLY weak spot we have on defense, I'll be happy.
    But then we get the trickle-down effect... If the mike LB is lost, then he can't direct traffic. Then the OLBs get lost, or blow an assignment. Then the line has trouble penetrating...

I'd rather see a weak spot on the line, in all honesty...
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that. From my basic understanding of the "Tampa 2," if we had a weak D-line, that could spell trouble against the run. With the MLB dropping back into a bit deeper coverage, the two OLs will have to cover more space behind the line. If the D-line is weak, then the OLs will have to pick and choose which holes to plug and it will make it harder to pick up the responsibilities/failures of a weak lineman, making the D very susceptible to the run. Although, I could be full of crap in my assessment.

Sorry, for the double post. Didn't see this one until I already posted the last one.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I agree the middle LB is the heart of the defense. That is one of the reasons I and Cajun has been lobbying to try and get Donnie Edwards. He is a born leader and can step in anywhere he goes with whatever scheme they have.

I'd rather not have any holes but I guess that's what you face heading into training camp. We have capable talent but not enough experience or proven track record to say any of the LBs are ready for the "heart of the defense" role. As I have been saying this defense needs a field general in that position. All we have right now are unproven. I know Tomlin knows more to the situation than I do so I will respect that. The person that wins that job really needs to step up and be a leader no matter how you look at it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123