Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Helmut Vikings Locker Room

From Scoggins: "Frustrated Vikings locker room over turnovers and sloppiness overall on both sides. Players also upset over Suh's hit on Sullivan."

I mean really, what else is there to say to summarize it without pointing fingers. Couch it in sloppiness on both sides and frustration, rather than specific players.

But what everyone focused on Ponder is missing: The D.

Smith showed up. Yes Henderson got a pic and Allen a sack, but on the whole they ran right over top of us.

I think we may end up more hurt on D than on O.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    From Scoggins: "Frustrated Vikings locker room over turnovers and sloppiness overall on both sides. Players also upset over Suh's hit on Sullivan."

I mean really, what else is there to say to summarize it without pointing fingers. Couch it in sloppiness on both sides and frustration, rather than specific players.

Smith showed up. Yes Henderson got a pic and Allen a sack, but on the whole they ran right over top of us.

I personally think it has to do with the offense not sustaining a drive. They were out on the field A LOT.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post

They spent more than 20 minutes on the field in the first half. And it came in pretty long stretches. If Ponder were able to convert a 3rd down, they would've had a lot more gas in the tank in the second half of this game. Week one is tough on everybody. They're not used to playing at full intensity for 60 minutes. Tired teams are slow off the ball and miss tackles.

The offense let the defense down today. It sounds strange, but it's true. They held Detroit's biggest threat to no big plays downfield. He would have caught a couple of TDs if he held on to them, but that's just because he's a monster. He's indefensible in the red zone.

I'm not discouraged by what I saw from the defense. Ponder on the other hand...
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 09-08-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings Locker Room

The Lions ran right over the defense from the first series to the last. That was not a fatigue problem, the defense was just plain bad all game.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Whiplash reading from Mr Anderson to Purple Floyd. LOL!

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    They spent more than 20 minutes on the field in the first half. And it came in pretty long stretches. If Ponder were able to convert a 3rd down, they would've had a lot more gas in the tank in the second half of this game. Week one is tough on everybody. They're not used to playing at full intensity for 60 minutes. Tired teams are slow off the ball and miss tackles.

The offense let the defense down today. It sounds strange, but it's true. They held Detroit's biggest threat to no big plays downfield. He would have caught a couple of TDs if he held on to them, but that's just because he's a monster. He's indefensible in the red zone.

I'm not discouraged by what I saw from the defense. Ponder on the other hand...
    That doesn't sound strange at all. The D was gassed in the 2nd half. That has plagued us for how long now? But I also think the swiss cheese defensive "scheme" we run is a huge part of the problem as well. I think we focus too much on being safe and fundamental tackling and not enough on being aggressive and getting takeaways. Shorter fields would at least translate to more Walsh FG's.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    That doesn't sound strange at all. The D was gassed in the 2nd half. That has plagued us for how long now? But I also think the swiss cheese defensive "scheme" we run is a huge part of the problem as well. I think we focus too much on being safe and fundamental tackling and not enough on being aggressive and getting takeaways. Shorter fields would at least translate to more Walsh FG's.
    I think you're right about scheme being a problem. The bears are no more talented on defense than the Vikings but they force turnovers like crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The Lions ran right over the defense from the first series to the last. That was not a fatigue problem, the defense was just plain bad all game.
    They gave up one TD in 45 plays over 21 minutes in the first half. The offense ran 19 plays in that time. There were no big plays to Calvin Johnson. Bush did have a couple of longer runs in the first half, but they weren't scoring. If the offense does anything at all to dictate the pace of the game it's a totally different outcome in the first half.

I won't say the defense was good. They clearly weren't. But they played the hand they were dealt alright today. Ponder put them in no position to succeed.

Blog Entries

Vikings Locker Room

Well I would say that TD taken from CJ was a TD to be honest and even without that they moved the ball at will from the start. We had no answers from the opening bell and we could just as easily had 3- outs for our offense right from the start but failed. IMHO the defense was more to blame than the offense and it pains me greatly to have to say that.

Blog Entries

Vikings Locker Room

They also botched a FG that would have been even more points. We could have easily given up 50 if not for some calls that screwed the Lions

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    IMHO the defense was more to blame than the offense and it pains me greatly to have to say that.
    They were tired from being on the field for over 36 minutes of the game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast