Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Vikings Linebackers

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    There is no need to panic. We have solid starters. We can wait to the 3rd maybe 4th for depth. I see Marrdro is writing off the youngsters again. Tyrell, no one can pick on but all the others are career backups or ST players. LOL.

Farwell could easily step in and perform if Leber or Greenway went down. First petes sake we had a rookie come in for Henderson and do fine. What the hell makes you think a guy who has been he for a while would fail? LOL! We all know Marrdro dislikes him but in reality Heath would be just fine. Leman, Erin, and Kenny are all undrafted but still are not garbage. Let them learn. They are backups for right now.
    I'm writing off youngsters? Comeon, don't make me go get stuff from you on cats like Griff and Chad.

Erin has been dropped and added from the roster. I'm not the one doing that now am I. Onatolu is 225 soacking wet. Spin it all you want, but that equates to a ST's guy (and a damn good one by the way). I like Leman, but he only fills one roster spot.

And Farwell can't step in at MLB or he would have been in there several times when we needed him.

Love the discussion points though.
    Not sure why you always bring up Griffin. I have always liked him. I would love to see a quote of me bashing him. On the other hand, I have said a few things about Greenway but in no way EVER did I want a replacement for him or want him off the team.

Like I have said before, we need to draft a OLB but not that early.
    My apologies. For some reason I had you on the "I dislike Griff" spreadsheet. Consider your name removed.....

Back to the OLB discussion.

I agree, I wouldn't take one with the 30th either, however, when I do my mocks and talk this stuff this time of year, in almost every circumstance it isn't what I would do but rather what I think ole Ricky boy is gonna do.

If one of the top 5 OLBs were sitting there at 30, I don't think it is out of the question that he would take one is all I'm saying mostly because we don't need to take a certain position at any spot but rather they have the lattitude of selecting the best value.

I know the BPA cliche is used alot, but I am 100% that they will actually do it this year without a bit of the "Need" pushing decisions.
    I think we will draft the BPA for what we need. G, CB, S and yes I think OLB could be an option as well.
    All ya got to do is put DT and QB in there and I think we will be on the same page this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    There is no need to panic. We have solid starters. We can wait to the 3rd maybe 4th for depth. I see Marrdro is writing off the youngsters again. Tyrell, no one can pick on but all the others are career backups or ST players. LOL.

Farwell could easily step in and perform if Leber or Greenway went down. First petes sake we had a rookie come in for Henderson and do fine. What the hell makes you think a guy who has been he for a while would fail? LOL! We all know Marrdro dislikes him but in reality Heath would be just fine. Leman, Erin, and Kenny are all undrafted but still are not garbage. Let them learn. They are backups for right now.
    I'm writing off youngsters? Comeon, don't make me go get stuff from you on cats like Griff and Chad.

Erin has been dropped and added from the roster. I'm not the one doing that now am I. Onatolu is 225 soacking wet. Spin it all you want, but that equates to a ST's guy (and a damn good one by the way). I like Leman, but he only fills one roster spot.

And Farwell can't step in at MLB or he would have been in there several times when we needed him.

Not sure why you always bring up Griffin. I have always liked him. I would love to see a quote of me bashing him. On the other hand, I have said a few things about Greenway but in no way EVER did I want a replacement for him or want him off the team.

My apologies. For some reason I had you on the "I dislike Griff" spreadsheet. Consider your name removed.....

I agree, I wouldn't take one with the 30th either, however, when I do my mocks and talk this stuff this time of year, in almost every circumstance it isn't what I would do but rather what I think ole Ricky boy is gonna do.

If one of the top 5 OLBs were sitting there at 30, I don't think it is out of the question that he would take one is all I'm saying mostly because we don't need to take a certain position at any spot but rather they have the lattitude of selecting the best value.

I know the BPA cliche is used alot, but I am 100% that they will actually do it this year without a bit of the "Need" pushing decisions.
    I think we will draft the BPA for what we need. G, CB, S and yes I think OLB could be an option as well.
    All ya got to do is put DT and QB in there and I think we will be on the same page this year.
    I think we will be fine if we don't draft a dt. Pat's got one more year of rotating with Kennedy and we can draft one next year or in the later rounds of this year. I just don't think its as urgent as everyone else thinks. Definitely QB CB S and G.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

I think we will be fine if we don't draft a dt. Pat's got one more year of rotating with Kennedy and we can draft one next year or in the later rounds of this year. I just don't think its as urgent as everyone else thinks. Definitely QB CB S and G.
    Your missing the point on DT.

Like any position, you don't wait to draft a cat until the starter is gone, you draft them early so they can learn 3 or 4 years (if possible) before they leave.

Makes the transition easier.

As to JK, you do realize they drafted K-wills replacement in 2008. JK came out the same time as K-will did. One would think that if the logic behind Guion selection is applied to the other DT position, someone would have already been drafted.

Why hasn't this happened? My guess, one gap, penetrating lineman like Phat Pat are hard to come by. Just so happens to be 3 or 4 in this draft. If one of them is available at 30 you should take him cause you won't see another one that low again for a long time.

On the other hand, take CB for instance. You should have a pick of at least 2 good CB's in the first, 3 possibly 4 that fit our scheme in the 2nd and 2 damn nice fits in the 3rd.

Why pass on a DT for a CB that you can get later rounds if you aren't gonna get the DT of equal value later on.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

Like any position, you don't wait to draft a cat until the starter is gone, you draft them early so they can learn 3 or 4 years (if possible) before they leave.

As to JK, you do realize they drafted K-wills replacement in 2008. JK came out the same time as K-will did. One would think that if the logic behind Guion selection is applied to the other DT position, someone would have already been drafted.

Why hasn't this happened? My guess, one gap, penetrating lineman like Phat Pat are hard to come by. Just so happens to be 3 or 4 in this draft. If one of them is available at 30 you should take him cause you won't see another one that low again for a long time.

On the other hand, take CB for instance. You should have a pick of at least 2 good CB's in the first, 3 possibly 4 that fit our scheme in the 2nd and 2 damn nice fits in the 3rd.

Why pass on a DT for a CB that you can get later rounds if you aren't gonna get the DT of equal value later on.
    I'm not missing the point, I just didn't make my point clear enough. I realize its good to develop DTs behind great ones for a few years, but we have more glaring needs (CB, S, OL) than DT. Take one in the later rounds, we have more holes NOW in other positions than DT
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    12purplepride28 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

I'm not missing the point, I just didn't make my point clear enough. I realize its good to develop DTs behind great ones for a few years, but we have more glaring needs (CB, S, OL) than DT. Take one in the later rounds, we have more holes NOW in other positions than DT
    First there won't be one in the later rounds. Atleast not one that can be developed in a year or two.

Second, I don't believe our issues at CB and S aren't as bad as you seem to think.

The loss of Griff and Whinny's slide are something to be concerned about, however, Whinny could come back and still be the starter. Griff, I don't think so.

a. We resigned Benny. He gives us a nice Vet who has been in the system for a few years now. Mix in that the defense actually played better with him and AA in there than it did with Whinny and I don't see the concern most have at the starter positions.

b. Asher Allen. Another young cat that stepped into the void his first year and gave us some real nice reps in games were we needed help. Again, when he and Benny were in there our defense played better than when Whinny was in there.

c. Vet Presence. The staff seems to think that adding a 2nd Tier Vet on the cheap is all thats needed to add depth behind our current starters until Griff is back next year.

d. Additional DB coach. I really like how they added additional coaching to the position. Should pay dividends down the road as these cats continue to get better.

I for one would feel very comfortable with the following lineup going into next season, keeping in mind they traditionally only keep 5 CBs on the 53 man roster:

a. LCB - AA/Whinny/3rd eound draft choice
    b. RCB - Benny/Vet/3rd round draft choice
    c. Nickle - Whinny/Vet

Third. This draft is damn deep at CB with quality players in each and every round. If the staff thinks they need to add another cat, they can when the value is right. Doesn't mean they won't take one in the first round, just saying they don't have to.

CBS Sports - Dominique Franks

CBS Sports - Amari Spievey

CBS Sports - Jerome Murphy

Fourth. I don't think adding another rookie to our inexperienced S's is gonna solve anything. The S's we have are talented, they just need reps.

Fifth. Same thing goes for OLB's as it does for CB. There are a butt load of them in this draft that could be taken as low as the 4th round and still be ready to go in 2011 when Lebers contract is up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123