Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Vikings Linebackers

Marrdro wrote:
    I wanted them to draft a backup to EJ before he went down the first time. Glad the FO pukes finally listened to me and got Jasper last year. I believe he is EJ's eventual replacement.
    LOL. Child please.

There is no need to panic. We have solid starters. We can wait to the 3rd maybe 4th for depth. I see Marrdro is writing off the youngsters again. Tyrell, no one can pick on but all the others are career backups or ST players. LOL.

Farwell could easily step in and perform if Leber or Greenway went down. First petes sake we had a rookie come in for Henderson and do fine. What the hell makes you think a guy who has been he for a while would fail? LOL! We all know Marrdro dislikes him but in reality Heath would be just fine. Leman, Erin, and Kenny are all undrafted but still are not garbage. Let them learn. They are backups for right now.

Marrdro wrote:
    3 sites I visit this time of the year don't have much on him other than 2 of them list him as a UDFA.
    I found all types of stuff on him.

PLAYERS TO WATCH: DE Chris McCoy - The senior is fourth on the team with 59 tackles and leads the Blue Raiders with 20 tackles for loss and seven sacks.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/558530

Middle Tennessee's Chris McCoy came out of nowhere last season and has been steadily moving up draft boards since September. Almost two-dozen teams were on hand at MTSU to watch the pass-rushing terror work out, and McCoy did not disappoint. He ran a 40 time in the low 4.7-second area at 261-pounds, posted a vertical... jump of 33.5 inches and a broad jump of 10'3'. McCoy lined up in a three-point stance in college, but projects to linebacker in the NFL. Many of the teams at the workout use a 3-4 alignment on defense and were impressed with the ease with which McCoy was able to move in reverse when simulating pass coverage skills. He's secured a spot for himself in the later rounds.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Evanston-IL/OTG-Sports-Management/177585367186?ref=share

Interview

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/chrismccoyinterview.htm

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

marstc09 wrote:
    There is no need to panic. We have solid starters. We can wait to the 3rd maybe 4th for depth. I see Marrdro is writing off the youngsters again. Tyrell, no one can pick on but all the others are career backups or ST players. LOL.

Farwell could easily step in and perform if Leber or Greenway went down. First petes sake we had a rookie come in for Henderson and do fine. What the hell makes you think a guy who has been he for a while would fail? LOL! We all know Marrdro dislikes him but in reality Heath would be just fine. Leman, Erin, and Kenny are all undrafted but still are not garbage. Let them learn. They are backups for right now.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I wanted them to draft a backup to EJ before he went down the first time. Glad the FO pukes finally listened to me and got Jasper last year. I believe he is EJ's eventual replacement.
    Finally listened to you?
    We drafted Rufus Alexander, he got hurt.
    We drafted Greenway to start
    Not to mention we're always bringing in UDFAs to try out.

Although, I would like to draft another LB this year. I'm not sold on Brinkley yet. He's got some talent, but he's a liability in the passing game as I feared, I think another season as a backup could help him become even better.

If we had a shot at Weatherspoon, I'd love to grab him, move Leber to middle and start him on the outside. Problem is he plays WLB, which is what Greenway plays also, wonder how tricky the transition to Strongside will be for him.
    Comeon my friend, I am talking about a MLB, not some 7th round OLB (Rufus).
    6th round my friend. round 6 pick 2. Might I remind you he was was named to the All-Big 12 First Team, the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, and an AP and AFCA All-American.

He was though of as a potential sleeper pick, and he just never panned out. I can list a whole whack of 4th rounders who never panned out too.

If you discount "7th" round picks, then what about your pal Tahi? He was undrafted, didn't even make the Bengals squad.
    As to Jasper being a liability. I think I agree with you, if your saying that his flaws were related to inexperience and not talent. Cat can fly around the field now. Get him some more reps and he will be a anchor in the middle for years to come.
    Thats exactly what I'm saying. I'm not comfortable yet with him starting full-time, but I like what I've seen, and he's still quite young and has time to develop into a decent linebacker.

I wouldn't move Chad at all. That would be kindof like breaking both positions.
    I wasn't talking about moving Chad, I was talking about moving Weatherspoon. He played WLB in College, and Chad's our Will now, wonder what effect moving weatherspoon to slb would have. If we've learned anything from EJ, its that moving young LB's around really negatively affects their play.
    He never panned out as a OLB. Again, go back and read my original post. I was talking about MLB. No way in hell you can say that Rufus was gonna be an answer at MLB.

As to Spoon. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't think you would try to put a cat like Spoon as the Sam. He is to small.

Not all NFL scouts are convinced that he can be an elite linebacker at the next level. He has only adequate size and tends to run around blocks. But Weatherspoon's speed and productivity will convince a team to pick him early in the draft.

Will take on fullback and lineman blocks inside, but does not have the size or punch needed to regularly disengage. Also has troubles getting off run blocks from larger receivers.
    CBS Sports Player Profile - Weatherspoon
    Look, I really like the guy, but don't see how he would fit into the scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 wrote:

I'm writing off youngsters? Comeon, don't make me go get stuff from you on cats like Griff and Chad.

Erin has been dropped and added from the roster. I'm not the one doing that now am I. Onatolu is 225 soacking wet. Spin it all you want, but that equates to a ST's guy (and a damn good one by the way). I like Leman, but he only fills one roster spot.

And Farwell can't step in at MLB or he would have been in there several times when we needed him.

Love the discussion points though.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

I'm writing off youngsters? Comeon, don't make me go get stuff from you on cats like Griff and Chad.

Erin has been dropped and added from the roster. I'm not the one doing that now am I. Onatolu is 225 soacking wet. Spin it all you want, but that equates to a ST's guy (and a damn good one by the way). I like Leman, but he only fills one roster spot.

And Farwell can't step in at MLB or he would have been in there several times when we needed him.

Not sure why you always bring up Griffin. I have always liked him. I would love to see a quote of me bashing him. On the other hand, I have said a few things about Greenway but in no way EVER did I want a replacement for him or want him off the team.

Like I have said before, we need to draft a OLB but not that early.

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

Not sure why you always bring up Griffin. I have always liked him. I would love to see a quote of me bashing him. On the other hand, I have said a few things about Greenway but in no way EVER did I want a replacement for him or want him off the team.

My apologies. For some reason I had you on the "I dislike Griff" spreadsheet. Consider your name removed.....

Back to the OLB discussion.

I agree, I wouldn't take one with the 30th either, however, when I do my mocks and talk this stuff this time of year, in almost every circumstance it isn't what I would do but rather what I think ole Ricky boy is gonna do.

If one of the top 5 OLBs were sitting there at 30, I don't think it is out of the question that he would take one is all I'm saying mostly because we don't need to take a certain position at any spot but rather they have the lattitude of selecting the best value.

I know the BPA cliche is used alot, but I am 100% that they will actually do it this year without a bit of the "Need" pushing decisions.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I still have hopes for Erin Henderson. I know what he's capable of and he showed some flashes in his first pre-season.

He is very similar to his older brother. Unfortunately, that includes the injury problems too.

It seems like Erin has lost some confident. I hope he can get back on the horse and get some opportunities at linebacker. That's what he does best.

Erin is still young (only 23 years old) and he's both faster and bigger than his older brother.

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

My apologies. For some reason I had you on the "I dislike Griff" spreadsheet. Consider your name removed.....

Back to the OLB discussion.

I agree, I wouldn't take one with the 30th either, however, when I do my mocks and talk this stuff this time of year, in almost every circumstance it isn't what I would do but rather what I think ole Ricky boy is gonna do.

If one of the top 5 OLBs were sitting there at 30, I don't think it is out of the question that he would take one is all I'm saying mostly because we don't need to take a certain position at any spot but rather they have the lattitude of selecting the best value.

I know the BPA cliche is used alot, but I am 100% that they will actually do it this year without a bit of the "Need" pushing decisions.
    I think we will draft the BPA for what we need. G, CB, S and yes I think OLB could be an option as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast