Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings Linebackers

Is everyone happy with the depth we have there? I don't really know who would fill in if greenway or leber went down. I know Brinkley came in, and I don't think he was too bad for a rookie, I think he could be pretty good in this league, and he is a big hitter. And are the vikings happy with Leber? He always seemed like he was a little above average, but nothing great. He's definitely not a weakness on the team, but I was still wondering if we would look at getting him a good replacement within the next few years.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Re:Vikings Linebackers

I thought Brinkley did a pretty good job filling in for E.J.. However, I also think that E.J. was missed a great deal during the playoffs. Certainly with the double teams on JA and Edwards playing havoc on the other side, E.J. would have racked up some good hits. I feel that it was the one element missing that would have totally stopped the offense of both Dallas and NO.

I think the Vikings are happy with Leber and they should be. Same with Greenway. It is a strong unit that plays well together. Still, keeping an eye out for future replacements is always a good idea.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Brinkley played well considering his lack of experience at the position. However it did highlight the need to have a more seasoned backup available -maybe we should have Greenway or Leber spend time at MLB as it might be easier to have a rookie/less experienced player fill in for them whilst they move to the MLB as cover.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I always want linebackers. Never can have enough of them. So the rest of this post is rather bias.

Linebacker needs to be drafted in the first two rounds and I think we need to sign one. There are still tons of LBs who have not been signed yet and I think we need someone to help Greenway. With the health of EJ still being in question and me not liking Leber, another two would be nice. Brinkley is a fantastic backup, but is not a player we want on the field for 40-50 plays a game.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I wanted them to draft a backup to EJ before he went down the first time. Glad the FO pukes finally listened to me and got Jasper last year. I believe he is EJ's eventual replacement.

Chad is fine. He seems to fit our scheme pretty well now that he is almost a full up round NFL player. Kindof funny when I think about a select few on here who hated his ass and wanted him gone from the get go. They are strangley quiet after this year.

Leber. I like what he brings to the table as well although he does have some liabilities in this scheme with respect to covering TE's/RB's. I think he is better suited for a 3-4 defense were he would have the luxury of staying inside and playing the run/rushing the QB.

I think the Vikes will look to add a cat behind Ben this year, if for no other reason than to add some depth because none of the other youngsters (Erin/Farwell/Leman/Onatou) appear to be anything but ST's role players.

The good thing for us is this draft is deep with OLB'rs. In my current Mock, I only have Spoon, Kindle and Graham coming off the board and then I have 5 coming off in the second.

For me, that means if we don't look for a cat in the first or second, most teams that needed one should have filled thier need leaving some nice cats for us to pick from in the 3rd round or beyond.

One of the cats I like that should be available late 3rd is a cat named A.J. Edds. Kindof ironic when you look at who he is compared to in some of the value boards......

Analysis
    Read & React: Recognizes play-action and misdirection and gets to the flat in a hurry to cover screens. Seems to run routes for tight ends and running backs. Very good reacting to the ball whether lined up at the nine-technique or in the stack.

Run defense: Gives little ground against linemen and tight end blocks on the edge. Keeps containment on his side of the field to make a tackle or funnel plays inside. Can punch and rip off consistently to make plays. Throws his shoulder into fullback in the hole but doesn't always anchor well. Chases plays across the field, taking good angles to the ball. Must use his hands consistently to protect his legs from cut blocks. Does not always break down in space and lacks the change-of-direction skills to compensate against elusive backs.

Pass defense: The former tight end is agile in coverage, and covers receivers and tight ends the flat very well. Can get deep or attack to the sideline. Runs with most tight ends down the seam and reads their eyes to turn and look for the ball. Reacts quickly to throws in his area. Able to knock passes away before or after the receiver gets his hands on the ball. Very good hands for the interception.

Tackling: Strong wrap-up tackler in the open field and around the line of scrimmage. His size and length means few missed tackles, as well as having the ability to chase down backs from behind. Brings hips to stop ballcarriers in a hurry when heads-up.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Stacks up tackles and tight ends on the edge, and will still come after the quarterback if sent or the signal caller is looking deep downfield. Will defeat running back blocks with his hands and strength. Won't miss the sack or quarterback hit once in position. Lacks great pass-rush moves or the speed to turn the corner against better tackles.

Intangibles: Major contributor since his redshirt freshman season and a leader on the defense the past two years -- by actions more than words. Solid character and weight-room work ethic.

NFL Comparison: Ben Leber, Chargers
    CBS Sports Player Profile - AJ Edds
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    I wanted them to draft a backup to EJ before he went down the first time. Glad the FO pukes finally listened to me and got Jasper last year. I believe he is EJ's eventual replacement.
    Finally listened to you?
    We drafted Rufus Alexander, he got hurt.
    We drafted Greenway to start
    Not to mention we're always bringing in UDFAs to try out.

Although, I would like to draft another LB this year. I'm not sold on Brinkley yet. He's got some talent, but he's a liability in the passing game as I feared, I think another season as a backup could help him become even better.

If we had a shot at Weatherspoon, I'd love to grab him, move Leber to middle and start him on the outside. Problem is he plays WLB, which is what Greenway plays also, wonder how tricky the transition to Strongside will be for him.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Finally listened to you?

Although, I would like to draft another LB this year. I'm not sold on Brinkley yet. He's got some talent, but he's a liability in the passing game as I feared, I think another season as a backup could help him become even better.

If we had a shot at Weatherspoon, I'd love to grab him, move Leber to middle and start him on the outside. Problem is he plays WLB, which is what Greenway plays also, wonder how tricky the transition to Strongside will be for him.
    Comeon my friend, I am talking about a MLB, not some 7th round OLB (Rufus).

As to Jasper being a liability. I think I agree with you, if your saying that his flaws were related to inexperience and not talent. Cat can fly around the field now. Get him some more reps and he will be a anchor in the middle for years to come.

Problem is, depth behind him. Still think they should look at bringing in a 2nd tier Vet to help out cause I still don't think EJ is gonna be 100% this year.

I wouldn't move Chad at all. That would be kindof like breaking both positions.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Finally listened to you?

Comeon my friend, I am talking about a MLB, not some 7th round OLB (Rufus).
    6th round my friend. round 6 pick 2. Might I remind you he was was named to the All-Big 12 First Team, the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, and an AP and AFCA All-American.

He was though of as a potential sleeper pick, and he just never panned out. I can list a whole whack of 4th rounders who never panned out too.

If you discount "7th" round picks, then what about your pal Tahi? He was undrafted, didn't even make the Bengals squad.
    As to Jasper being a liability. I think I agree with you, if your saying that his flaws were related to inexperience and not talent. Cat can fly around the field now. Get him some more reps and he will be a anchor in the middle for years to come.
    Thats exactly what I'm saying. I'm not comfortable yet with him starting full-time, but I like what I've seen, and he's still quite young and has time to develop into a decent linebacker.

I wouldn't move Chad at all. That would be kindof like breaking both positions.
    I wasn't talking about moving Chad, I was talking about moving Weatherspoon. He played WLB in College, and Chad's our Will now, wonder what effect moving weatherspoon to slb would have. If we've learned anything from EJ, its that moving young LB's around really negatively affects their play.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Marrdro wrote:

Chad is fine. He seems to fit our scheme pretty well now that he is almost a full up round NFL player. Kindof funny when I think about a select few on here who hated his ass and wanted him gone from the get go. They are strangley quiet after this year.

Leber. I like what he brings to the table as well although he does have some liabilities in this scheme with respect to covering TE's/RB's. I think he is better suited for a 3-4 defense were he would have the luxury of staying inside and playing the run/rushing the QB.

I think the Vikes will look to add a cat behind Ben this year, if for no other reason than to add some depth because none of the other youngsters (Erin/Farwell/Leman/Onatou) appear to be anything but ST's role players.

The good thing for us is this draft is deep with OLB'rs. In my current Mock, I only have Spoon, Kindle and Graham coming off the board and then I have 5 coming off in the second.

For me, that means if we don't look for a cat in the first or second, most teams that needed one should have filled thier need leaving some nice cats for us to pick from in the 3rd round or beyond.

One of the cats I like that should be available late 3rd is a cat named A.J. Edds. Kindof ironic when you look at who he is compared to in some of the value boards......

Analysis
    Read & React: Recognizes play-action and misdirection and gets to the flat in a hurry to cover screens. Seems to run routes for tight ends and running backs. Very good reacting to the ball whether lined up at the nine-technique or in the stack.

Run defense: Gives little ground against linemen and tight end blocks on the edge. Keeps containment on his side of the field to make a tackle or funnel plays inside. Can punch and rip off consistently to make plays. Throws his shoulder into fullback in the hole but doesn't always anchor well. Chases plays across the field, taking good angles to the ball. Must use his hands consistently to protect his legs from cut blocks. Does not always break down in space and lacks the change-of-direction skills to compensate against elusive backs.

Pass defense: The former tight end is agile in coverage, and covers receivers and tight ends the flat very well. Can get deep or attack to the sideline. Runs with most tight ends down the seam and reads their eyes to turn and look for the ball. Reacts quickly to throws in his area. Able to knock passes away before or after the receiver gets his hands on the ball. Very good hands for the interception.

Tackling: Strong wrap-up tackler in the open field and around the line of scrimmage. His size and length means few missed tackles, as well as having the ability to chase down backs from behind. Brings hips to stop ballcarriers in a hurry when heads-up.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Stacks up tackles and tight ends on the edge, and will still come after the quarterback if sent or the signal caller is looking deep downfield. Will defeat running back blocks with his hands and strength. Won't miss the sack or quarterback hit once in position. Lacks great pass-rush moves or the speed to turn the corner against better tackles.

Intangibles: Major contributor since his redshirt freshman season and a leader on the defense the past two years -- by actions more than words. Solid character and weight-room work ethic.

Excellent post!! I really wasn't a fan of leber until this year. If you watch tape on him he is usually in a good position, fairly instinctive ala Cowgirls game (His INT.). I think Rockmolder hit it on the head, if we could draft Weatherspoon we could be crazy fast at LB. We would have Weatherspoon at the WILL, Greenway at the SAM & Leber in the middle. That would be a very good LB core.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tarkenton10 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Analysis

Excellent post!! I really wasn't a fan of leber until this year. If you watch tape on him he is usually in a good position, fairly instinctive ala Cowgirls game (His INT.). I think Rockmolder hit it on the head, if we could draft Weatherspoon we could be crazy fast at LB. We would have Weatherspoon at the WILL, Greenway at the SAM & Leber in the middle. That would be a very good LB core.
    I'm just not as big on Spoon anymore, especially after I read some of the stuff on other players.

Here is an interesting one.....

Add McCoy To The List

3 sites I visit this time of the year don't have much on him other than 2 of them list him as a UDFA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast