Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    "ejmat" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

    What is surprising to me is the fact that the games AP did well this year was when there were 8 men in the box.
    The one game he didn't do well is when there were less.
    That question doesn't apply.
    He has done well 3 out of 4 games this year.
    Nothing to ponder what-so-ever.
    Are you going to say that he is doing worse with Favre at QB?
    That is what that question implies to me.
    He has over 500 yards after 4 games.
    Is that bad?
    Only if you are a "we must have consistency" fan. We have many of those here who toss out the "he's inconsistent" card.

    Whether you are running the ball well, racking up rushing yards & scores, but your passing game is lacking in yardage/completion because the defense you are facing is better in pass protection than they are in rush defense (AKA taking advantage of what the defense is allowing) or you are passing
    the ball well, racking up passing yards & scoring, but your rushing game is lacking because the defense you are facing is better in rush protection than they are in pass protection (AKA still taking advantage of what the defense is allowing), then who gives a rats jiggly butt which of the two is working better as long as we are winning?

    A balanced attack in a game is nice, but that only works if your opponents are equally as mediocre in pass protection as they are in run protection. Each of our opponents differ in what they bring to the table each week, ergo we will see games that are lopsided in passing & rushing yards based on what the defense is giving up that particular week. There will be some games when both will work equally as good & games when we are shut down on both sides of the ball. It all has to do with are opponents strengths & weaknesses.

    Our balanced attack is such that we are capable of both passing the ball well & running the ball well, but it is dependent on our opponents strengths that will determine which of the two will be successful that week.

    With that said & to get back on topic, I must say that our O-line did an outstanding job this past Monday & hopefully they can continue
    that trend against the much better defenses that we will face.

    The Steelers & the Ravens will be a real test for our o-line. Lets hope they do equally as well. They'll either make us or break us in those games.
    Great post SInger and I agree.
    Those two games will tell how good or bad the OL is.
    What you say about the balanced attack or lack there of is also true.
    You have to take what the defenses give.
    Therefore if it means passing more you do so.
    If it means running more, you do so.
    Excellent post Sir!
    Football 101

  2. #12
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    I measure balance more in the ability to run or pass as opposed to how many times we do each in a particular game.
    A balanced offense is one that is capable of winning by passing if the run is taken away, or running if the pass is taken away.

    Because Peterson is Peterson, we will always defended as a run team with 8 or more in the box at times, and with run blitzing.

    It's nice to have a QB capable of taking advantage of that fact.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  3. #13
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I measure balance more in the ability to run or pass as opposed to how many times we do each in a particular game.
    A balanced offense is one that is capable of winning by passing if the run is taken away, or running if the pass is taken away.

    Because Peterson is Peterson, we will always defended as a run team with 8 or more in the box at times, and with run blitzing.

    It's nice to have a QB capable of taking advantage of that fact.

    +1 doc

    Some games will be different

  4. #14
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,228

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    I think a few people have summed it up pretty well here.

    Our offense does not have to have an even amount of runs and passes every game to be balanced. It does not have to end with 225 yards passing and 155 yards rushing to be balanced.

    Our offense is balanced because if you allow All Day to do so, he will gash you for 150+, but if you focus and take him away, we can hit you for 250+ in the air. And we can do both VERY efficiently.

    As of now, you have to pick your poison with us. And I imagine it is going to continue to get better as Favre grows more comfortable and as Harvin gets more and more acclimated to the NFL.

  5. #15
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    "midgensa" wrote:
    I think a few people have summed it up pretty well here.

    Our offense does not have to have an even amount of runs and passes every game to be balanced. It does not have to end with 225 yards passing and 155 yards rushing to be balanced.

    Our offense is balanced because if you allow All Day to do so, he will gash you for 150+, but if you focus and take him away, we can hit you for 250+ in the air. And we can do both VERY efficiently.

    As of now, you have to pick your poison with us. And I imagine it is going to continue to get better as Favre grows more comfortable and as Harvin gets more and more acclimated to the NFL.
    +1 Amen
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    "We did a couple of different types of schemes in the last game," Bevell said. "Not just using zone schemes; we had some track schemes that we tried to use, so we've just got to continue to bring (everything) along."
    Did you all miss this?
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "We did a couple of different types of schemes in the last game," Bevell said. "Not just using zone schemes; we had some track schemes that we tried to use, so we've just got to continue to bring (everything) along."
    Did you all miss this?
    :
    I imagine they can do quite a few more things this year now that Cook isn't in the lineup.

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "We did a couple of different types of schemes in the last game," Bevell said. "Not just using zone schemes; we had some track schemes that we tried to use, so we've just got to continue to bring (everything) along."
    Did you all miss this?
    :
    I imagine they can do quite a few more things this year now that Cook isn't in the lineup.
    You do realize that "Track Blocking" or "Railroading" is a simplification of the ZB scheme right? :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Isanti, MN
    Posts
    978

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "We did a couple of different types of schemes in the last game," Bevell said. "Not just using zone schemes; we had some track schemes that we tried to use, so we've just got to continue to bring (everything) along."
    Did you all miss this?
    :
    I imagine they can do quite a few more things this year now that Cook isn't in the lineup.
    You do realize that "[glow=red,2,300]Track Blocking[/glow]" or "[glow=red,2,300]Railroading"[/glow] is a simplification of the ZB scheme right? :
    I must admit I don't know what those two mean.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

  10. #20
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

    "battleaxe4cheese" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "We did a couple of different types of schemes in the last game," Bevell said. "Not just using zone schemes; we had some track schemes that we tried to use, so we've just got to continue to bring (everything) along."
    Did you all miss this?
    :
    I imagine they can do quite a few more things this year now that Cook isn't in the lineup.
    You do realize that "[glow=red,2,300]Track Blocking[/glow]" or "[glow=red,2,300]Railroading"[/glow] is a simplification of the ZB scheme right? :
    I must admit I don't know what those two mean.
    My apologies my friend.....

    Nothing hard about it.
    Just a method coaching staffs use to simplify thier blocking techniques.

    - Another scheme asks the offensive linemen to imagine a "railroad track" parallel to the runningbacks path and block everything they find on their way. This could be a linebacker, but also a slanting defensive linemen from somewhere else
    .

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_blocking

    Sometimes it is even used on defensive schemes....

    A philosophy is like a railroad track.
    You have a clear cut direction in which you are going.
    If you start to get off track it becomes real obvious to you.
    If you don’t know what you want and what you are about you won’t know when you are off course.
    If you do realize you are off course you won’t know how to fix the problems you are having without a philosophy.
    http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.co...dpress/?p=1066

    Problem is, although it makes things easier to execute, it takes away from the overall effectiveness of the blocking scheme.
    Again, why I believe our run production might be dropping a bit.

    As I said, something to ponder.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Season-ticket holders keeping an eye on Vikings' moves
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 08:36 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 07:00 AM
  3. Offensive Line keeping seven?
    By slinkey in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
  4. Pack putting together GREAT offensive line to protect Favre!
    By cajunvike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 09:40 AM
  5. Greenway vs. Hawk - Vikings/Packers rivalry rejuvenated
    By umaguma1979 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •