Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

Favre singled out rookie right tackle Phil Loadholt, who didn't let Packers speed rusher Aaron Kampman get a whiff of his quarterback all night long.

"[size=10pt]I told him at the end of the game I was extremely proud of him because I know how good Aaron Kampman is," Favre said.[/size] "To hold your own against him is pretty impressive. I could say that about all our guys this year."

New center John Sullivan also played the best game of his young career, and it was no coincidence that Favre was so effective.

So why the difference this time around?

"Sometimes you can't put your finger on it. We just went out there and executed well," Sullivan said. "The whole offense was in sync. Guys were getting open, the ball was getting out and we were holding up on the offensive line. [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]All the credit has to be spread across to everybody[/size][/size][/size]."

http://host.madison.com/sports/footb...2933fc1f1.html

Marrdro's comments follow:
    Were are the crowd who were already to throw young PL under the bus now?
    Even ole Noodle Arm gives him props......

Another thing, who was the yutz on here who keeps harping that it is still a team sport?

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Vikings line keeping rejuvenated Favre upright

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Offensive line paved the way[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi.../63634012.html
    Marrdro's comment follows:

Attention, attention, this is gonna be a thought/point that isn't 100% positive.
    Anyone who only wants to read positive stuff, please forgive me and ignore the following, if you choose to comment, please, don't turn this into a "LNAD pissing contest" as I believe the issue lies elsewere.......

Why was AD able to beat 8 in the box with a substandard QB, but now that LNAD seems to be the second coming, is he being shut down?

Just something to ponder....... :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Vikings' Peterson remains the primary focus of opposing defenses

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said many things can be done to improve the running game. He mentioned everything from offensive linemen targeting the correct blocks and using proper technique to making sure the running backs use the blocks properly and make the right cuts.

[size=10pt][size=10pt]"We did a couple of different types of schemes in the last game," Bevell said. "Not just using zone schemes; we had some track schemes that we tried to use, so we've just got to continue to bring (everything) along."[/size][/size]
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13517813?source=rss
    Just what I thought....... :

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Offensive line paved the way[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Attention, attention, this is gonna be a thought/point that isn't 100% positive.
    Anyone who only wants to read positive stuff, please forgive me and ignore the following, if you choose to comment, please, don't turn this into a "LNAD pissing contest" as I believe the issue lies elsewere.......

Why was AD able to beat 8 in the box with a substandard QB, but now that LNAD seems to be the second coming, is he being shut down?

What is surprising to me is the fact that the games AP did well this year was when there were 8 men in the box.
    The one game he didn't do well is when there were less.
    That question doesn't apply.
    He has done well 3 out of 4 games this year.
    Nothing to ponder what-so-ever.
    Are you going to say that he is doing worse with Favre at QB?
    That is what that question implies to me.
    He has over 500 yards after 4 games.
    Is that bad?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Favre singled out rookie right tackle Phil Loadholt, who didn't let Packers speed rusher Aaron Kampman get a whiff of his quarterback all night long.

"[size=10pt]I told him at the end of the game I was extremely proud of him because I know how good Aaron Kampman is," Favre said.[/size] "To hold your own against him is pretty impressive. I could say that about all our guys this year."

New center John Sullivan also played the best game of his young career, and it was no coincidence that Favre was so effective.

So why the difference this time around?

"Sometimes you can't put your finger on it. We just went out there and executed well," Sullivan said. "The whole offense was in sync. Guys were getting open, the ball was getting out and we were holding up on the offensive line. [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]All the credit has to be spread across to everybody[/size][/size][/size]."

http://host.madison.com/sports/footb...2933fc1f1.html

Marrdro's comments follow:
    Were are the crowd who were already to throw young PL under the bus now?
    Even ole Noodle Arm gives him props......

Another thing, who was the yutz on here who keeps harping that it is still a team sport?

I was never one to start throwing PL under the bus yet.
    As an OL they have had their share of problems this year.
    They did very well blocking against the Pack but don't you think a lot has to do with the fact they gave up blitzing and stacking the box when Favre proved he can throw the ball successfully?
    If you have 5 people blocoking and only 3 rushing you better be able to sustain your blocks.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

[size=13pt]Sacks aside, Favre impressed by pass protection[/size]

By CHIP SCOGGINS and JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune staff writers
    Last update: October 8, 2009 - 10:19 PM

The Vikings offensive line heard some criticism about protection breakdowns after the first three opponents combined to sack Brett Favre nine times.

But the Vikings did not give up a sack Monday night against the Packers for the first time in 23 games. Favre, who got hit repeatedly by the San Francisco 49ers the previous week, said his protection has been "very good" all four games.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:

With a substandard QB, we relied on AD more, giving him more carries, and thus more chances to break the big runs. With Favre at the helm, if AD is getting shut down, we don't feel the need to keep handing the ball off to him, we have other playmakers who can effectively move the ball through the air.

I was surprised that GB stuck with protecting against the run, even after Favre burnt them, several times.... thus why they lost.... LOSERS aha!
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ejmat" wrote:

What is surprising to me is the fact that the games AP did well this year was when there were 8 men in the box.
    Is that bad?
    Only if you are a "we must have consistency" fan. We have many of those here who toss out the "he's inconsistent" card.

Whether you are running the ball well, racking up rushing yards & scores, but your passing game is lacking in yardage/completion because the defense you are facing is better in pass protection than they are in rush defense (AKA taking advantage of what the defense is allowing) or you are passing
    the ball well, racking up passing yards & scoring, but your rushing game is lacking because the defense you are facing is better in rush protection than they are in pass protection (AKA still taking advantage of what the defense is allowing), then who gives a rats ass which of the two is working better as long as we are winning?

A balanced attack in a game is nice, but that only works if your opponents are equally as mediocre in pass protection as they are in run protection. Each of our opponents differ in what they bring to the table each week, ergo we will see games that are lopsided in passing & rushing yards based on what the defense is giving up that particular week. There will be some games when both will work equally as good & games when we are shut down on both sides of the ball. It all has to do with are opponents strengths & weaknesses.

Our balanced attack is such that we are capable of both passing the ball well & running the ball well, but it is dependent on our opponents strengths that will determine which of the two will be successful that week.

With that said & to get back on topic, I must say that our O-line did an outstanding job this past Monday & hopefully they can continue
    that trend against the much better defenses that we will face.

The Steelers & the Ravens will be a real test for our o-line. Lets hope they do equally as well. They'll either make us or break us in those games.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

I remember at one point Monday night watching Loadholt block 2 Packers at once.
    One with each arm.
    Its nice having a mountain on each end of the OL.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

"singersp" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

Is that bad?
    Only if you are a "we must have consistency" fan. We have many of those here who toss out the "he's inconsistent" card.

Whether you are running the ball well, racking up rushing yards & scores, but your passing game is lacking in yardage/completion because the defense you are facing is better in pass protection than they are in rush defense (AKA taking advantage of what the defense is allowing) or you are passing
    the ball well, racking up passing yards & scoring, but your rushing game is lacking because the defense you are facing is better in rush protection than they are in pass protection (AKA still taking advantage of what the defense is allowing), then who gives a rats ass which of the two is working better as long as we are winning?

A balanced attack in a game is nice, but that only works if your opponents are equally as mediocre in pass protection as they are in run protection. Each of our opponents differ in what they bring to the table each week, ergo we will see games that are lopsided in passing & rushing yards based on what the defense is giving up that particular week. There will be some games when both will work equally as good & games when we are shut down on both sides of the ball. It all has to do with are opponents strengths & weaknesses.

Our balanced attack is such that we are capable of both passing the ball well & running the ball well, but it is dependent on our opponents strengths that will determine which of the two will be successful that week.

With that said & to get back on topic, I must say that our O-line did an outstanding job this past Monday & hopefully they can continue
    that trend against the much better defenses that we will face.

The Steelers & the Ravens will be a real test for our o-line. Lets hope they do equally as well. They'll either make us or break us in those games.
    Great post SInger and I agree.
    Those two games will tell how good or bad the OL is.
    What you say about the balanced attack or lack there of is also true.
    You have to take what the defenses give.
    Therefore if it means passing more you do so.
    If it means running more, you do so.
    Excellent post Sir!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast