Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings like right tackle's potential

Posted on Sat, Sep. 23, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings like right tackle's potential[/size]

Johnson faces another tough matchup Sunday

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Despite a rough outing against Carolina all-pro defensive end Julius Peppers, Vikings right tackle Marcus Johnson has regrouped for Sunday's showdown against Chicago's Adewale Ogunleye.

And veteran Artis Hicks is convinced Johnson has the potential to be a star.

"I think he can be a Pro Bowl player," said Hicks, who starts next to Johnson at right guard. "He's got the body, and he's got the athleticism. It's just a matter of getting that experience."

Johnson, who declines all interview requests, has plenty to learn from after Peppers tallied three sacks and four hurries Sunday, mostly against him.

During the game, which the Vikings ended up winning 16-13 in overtime, left tackle Bryant McKinnie encouraged Johnson not to get frustrated.

"If you make a mistake, don't let him get you out of your game," McKinnie told the second-year tackle. "Just play your game, and just use the technique you were taught."

After a lull in the third quarter, when he got "discouraged," Johnson rebounded in the fourth quarter and overtime, according to McKinnie.

"He said after the game that he didn't play well," McKinnie said. "But I was like, 'You just got to watch the film and learn from it. Those are some of the things you're going to have to go through. You can't just dominate everybody.' "

McKinnie should know. He said he struggled as a rookie, especially when he missed all of training camp. McKinnie especially remembers having a difficult time against Green Bay's Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

"I didn't have any foundation, because I wasn't here," McKinnie said. "He was tough, and then I had to play him again."

But McKinnie said Johnson showed that he was a "fighter."

Now Johnson gets to face Ogunleye, who has 41.5 sacks since 2000.

"He's a hard-working guy," Hicks said of Johnson. "If you have a great game or a bad game, you have to have a short memory in this league."

Injury update: Hicks (shoulder) and receiver Troy Williamson (shoulder) were upgraded Friday from questionable to probable. Neither has missed a practice this week.

Receiver Marcus Robinson (hamstring) still is listed as questionable, but he appears on track to play Sunday against his former team. He also hasn't missed any practices this week.

Bollinger adjusting: Backup quarterback Brooks Bollinger, acquired in a trade Aug. 31, is getting caught up. But he's not quite there, he said.

"It's a continual process, because they've been doing this since March," Bollinger said. "So am I at the level that Brad (Johnson) and these guys are at? No. But I'm to the point where I can step into the huddle, get a play called and execute."

Bollinger was pleased Childress thought enough of his progress to name him the backup last week against the Panthers.

Mitchell ready: Rookie defensive end Jayme Mitchell could have chosen a number of teams after he went undrafted. But he chose the Vikings because of one person: defensive line coach Karl Dunbar.

Mitchell said players at Louisiana State raved about Dunbar's coaching ability. There were two key factors, though.

"He's a spiritual person, and the defense was one I was familiar with," Mitchell said.

Asked about the possibility of playing his first NFL game, he said: "I'm very excited. You dream about this as a kid."

Mitchell took the roster spot of Erasmus James, placed on injured reserve this week.

Briefly: First-round pick Chad Greenway said his knee is feeling "awesome."

"They're doing a great job here," he said of the medical staff.

Greenway is optimistic he will be ready for minicamp and training camp next year.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings like right tackle's potential

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Sat, Sep. 23, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings like right tackle's potential[/size]

Johnson faces another tough matchup Sunday

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Despite a rough outing against Carolina all-pro defensive end Julius Peppers, Vikings right tackle Marcus Johnson has regrouped for Sunday's showdown against Chicago's Adewale Ogunleye.

And veteran Artis Hicks is convinced Johnson has the potential to be a star.

"I think he can be a Pro Bowl player," said Hicks, who starts next to Johnson at right guard. "He's got the body, and he's got the athleticism. It's just a matter of getting that experience."

Johnson, who declines all interview requests, has plenty to learn from after Peppers tallied three sacks and four hurries Sunday, mostly against him.

During the game, which the Vikings ended up winning 16-13 in overtime, left tackle Bryant McKinnie encouraged Johnson not to get frustrated.

"If you make a mistake, don't let him get you out of your game," McKinnie told the second-year tackle. "Just play your game, and just use the technique you were taught."

After a lull in the third quarter, when he got "discouraged," Johnson rebounded in the fourth quarter and overtime, according to McKinnie.

"He said after the game that he didn't play well," McKinnie said. "But I was like, 'You just got to watch the film and learn from it. Those are some of the things you're going to have to go through. You can't just dominate everybody.' "

McKinnie should know. He said he struggled as a rookie, especially when he missed all of training camp. McKinnie especially remembers having a difficult time against Green Bay's Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

"I didn't have any foundation, because I wasn't here," McKinnie said. "He was tough, and then I had to play him again."

But McKinnie said Johnson showed that he was a "fighter."

Now Johnson gets to face Ogunleye, who has 41.5 sacks since 2000.

"He's a hard-working guy," Hicks said of Johnson. "If you have a great game or a bad game, you have to have a short memory in this league."

Injury update: Hicks (shoulder) and receiver Troy Williamson (shoulder) were upgraded Friday from questionable to probable. Neither has missed a practice this week.

Receiver Marcus Robinson (hamstring) still is listed as questionable, but he appears on track to play Sunday against his former team. He also hasn't missed any practices this week.

Bollinger adjusting: Backup quarterback Brooks Bollinger, acquired in a trade Aug. 31, is getting caught up. But he's not quite there, he said.

"It's a continual process, because they've been doing this since March," Bollinger said. "So am I at the level that Brad (Johnson) and these guys are at? No. But I'm to the point where I can step into the huddle, get a play called and execute."

Bollinger was pleased Childress thought enough of his progress to name him the backup last week against the Panthers.

Mitchell ready: Rookie defensive end Jayme Mitchell could have chosen a number of teams after he went undrafted. But he chose the Vikings because of one person: defensive line coach Karl Dunbar.

Mitchell said players at Louisiana State raved about Dunbar's coaching ability. There were two key factors, though.

"He's a spiritual person, and the defense was one I was familiar with," Mitchell said.

Asked about the possibility of playing his first NFL game, he said: "I'm very excited. You dream about this as a kid."

Mitchell took the roster spot of Erasmus James, placed on injured reserve this week.

Briefly: First-round pick Chad Greenway said his knee is feeling "awesome."

"They're doing a great job here," he said of the medical staff.

Greenway is optimistic he will be ready for minicamp and training camp next year.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Nice to see Chad is doing well.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

yea, the right side of the O line is our weak spot on th team but am sure the coaches have worked something out all week to help out on that, ogunleye is good but doesnt compare to the player of peppers...
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

also gadl to hear that greenway is doing good, wsa really looking forward to seeing him play as i live in iowa and big hawkeye fan, seems like we are getting our share of injuries this early in the season, now jackson out for about 4 weeks...
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

McKinney, and Hicks were right on with those statements.. McKinney said don't get frustrated and let him to take you out of your game.. Hicks said he will be fine, and you have to have a short memory in this league..

Good to see 2 veterans coming to his aid during that bad game.. Look at McKinney, he had problems against KGB a couple seasons ago, now KGB can't touch the MT. they call McKinney..

very good point and now we also have 2 very good blockers if johnson runs into trouble, they can always put jimmy in and now we have richardson as well that we didnt have before, i dont know why they didnt have those guys in there more to help out last week, i know the guy has to learn but we also cant let brad get hurt either, especially now since jackson is out for awhile
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    McKinney, and Hicks were right on with those statements.. McKinney said don't get frustrated and let him to take you out of your game.. Hicks said he will be fine, and you have to have a short memory in this league..

Good to see 2 veterans coming to his aid during that bad game.. Look at McKinney, he had problems against KGB a couple seasons ago, now KGB can't touch the MT. they call McKinney..
    LOL, ain't that the truth.

Bryant Mckinnie owns KGB, the only time I hear his name, is when the Packers defense is being introduced.
    ;D

In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

Marcus Johnson definatley has the potential to be a great RT in the NFL.

He just has to improve his technique, and that will happen as he becomes more experienced.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

that is vewry true and with the help of mt.mckinney and the rest, ti shouldnt take long at all, so hopefully we will play them again in the playoffs and i dont think peppers will get thru so easily...
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

An O-lineman usually take 3 to 4 years to develop into a solid starter and Marcus will be fine he just needs the experience and unfortunately for Brad that experience is going to cost him some pain.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast