singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: LeFors, receivers audition for jobs

Posted on Wed, Sep. 27, 2006

[size=13pt]LeFors, receivers audition for jobs[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN and DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings worked out former Carolina Panthers quarterback Stefan LeFors on Tuesday, along with wide receivers Darius Watts and Efrem Hill.

The team was expected to work out several more receivers in the evening, including Bethel Johnson, Randy Hymes and Charlie Adams. The Vikings also were believed to be working out another quarterback.

Hymes and Johnson are NFL veterans who can return kickoffs, while Watts and Hymes are taller targets. Watts caught 31 passes for 385 yards and one touchdown in 2004 for the Denver Broncos. Hymes has 43 career catches for 578 yards and four touchdowns, all for the Baltimore Ravens. Johnson has 30 catches for 450 yards and four touchdowns for the New England Patriots. He also averaged 25.1 yards on 102 kickoff returns, including two touchdowns, and can handle punts.

The Vikings player who could be in trouble is wide receiver Maurice Mann. After he signed off the Seattle Seahawks' practice squad on Sept. 9, Mann was assured of being on the roster for three weeks, per NFL rules, and guaranteed three weeks' salary.

Mann made his Vikings debut in Sunday's 19-16 loss to Chicago, taking the field for a number of plays, but he didn't have a pass thrown to him. He is eligible for the practice squad.

LeFors fits the profile of the type of player coach Brad Childress indicated the team might sign to take some snaps from quarterbacks Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger while Tarvaris Jackson recovers from minor knee surgery. LeFors likely would end up on the practice squad.

"You really don't want those guys taking all those turns when it's the practice team reps as well, so just to have another arm in here," Childress said Monday.

The Vikings probably would not be inclined to sign a veteran like Todd Bouman or Shaun King because of cost.

Lions game update: The Vikings are taking a wait-and-see approach to a potential scheduling conflict with the Twins at the Metrodome.

If the Twins win the American League Central Division title and home-field advantage for the divisional round of the playoffs, they could be hosting Game 5 of the divisional series Oct. 8, the same day the Vikings are scheduled to face the Detroit Lions.

In that scenario, the Vikings might have to move their game to Monday night, Oct. 9, or flip-flop home games with the Lions, meaning the teams would play Oct. 8 in Detroit and Dec. 10 at the Metrodome.

Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president of public affairs and stadium development, said the team continues to talk with the NFL and the Lions regarding possible contingency plans.

"The Twins' season will be over in five days," Bagley said. "One way or another, the season's over on Sunday. We're just going to kind of let this play itself out and respond accordingly. If there is a reason to change dates, we'll try to give our fans every warning."

If the Vikings-Lions game is moved to Monday night, an NFL spokesman has said it would be televised on over-the-air affiliates in both teams' home markets and be available to Sunday Ticket subscribers.

Mixed results: The Vikings did a good job containing Bears punt returner Devin Hester in Sunday's loss, but punter Chris Kluwe wasn't happy with his 39.8-yard average or his initial 20-yard effort.

"I kind of mis-hit them," Kluwe said. "They were supposed to be directional punts, but I got a little under them. That first one was just a bad kick. Unfortunately, the ball doesn't always go where you want it to."

Kluwe ranks 29th among NFL punters with a 42.1-yard average and 26th in net average (35.9).

Briefly: Childress said he replaced Troy Williamson with Artose Pinner on kickoff returns for most of Sunday's game to save wear and tear on Williamson's sprained left shoulder, but he said Williamson will still be used as a return man from time to time.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected] Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected].

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Vikings: LeFors, receivers audition for jobs

I think the main reason for looking at receivers is to find someone who is capable 1st & foremost in returning kicks & as back-ups 2nd.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

I really enjoyed watching LeFors in college, I thought he had some skills.
    And was an inspirational story coming from the household with two deaf parents, and his brother was deaf as well.

I hope he works out.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

eh, not much different from some of the other articles out there, this one just named a couple more names.
    childress i have a feeling will be busy trying to improve the roster all the way through week 16.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    eh, not much different from some of the other articles out there, this one just named a couple more names.
    childress i have a feeling will be busy trying to improve the roster all the way through week 16.
    Eh, the other threads were posted hours after this one came out.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

yea, i see that you bumped it back up

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Taylor fumbles in Chi territory

TWill drops the pass on our last drive which would have put us on the Chi 40 yd line.
    Never would have had to throw that fade and maybe never seen 4th down on that drive.

MRob is hurt about half of every season.

I think that Chilly might want to replace one of these guys.
    We have no Mr Clutch at this time.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

the nfl season is a grueling 16 games.. then playoffs.. it's a physical game and guys get hurt.. it's never a bad idea to get some people involved that u hope can help here and there without really disturbing your team.

here's a few ?'s though.

1. What does the coaching staff not see in J.c?

2. I scanned through the nfl teams today and saw many are doing the same thing. I'm glad B.chill is reviewing what's out there and seeing if he can add a body that will help more then what we have. I do'nt see though anyone coming in the the starting line up any time soon.
    so how long before u put in someone you just pick up?

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall