Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: LB Questions Remain

[size=18px]LB Questions Remain [/size]

By: Viking Update Staff

Date: Jul 10, 2006

The Vikings have had more than six months to attempt to figure out how they will man their roster heading into the 2006 season. But, with three weeks left until the opening of training camp, linebacker remains an open question.

Over the last couple of years, linebacker has been a sore spot with the Vikings. With the advent of the Cover-2 defense coming to town, new defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin has insisted that his linebackers know all three positions. It would appear that is because there is still no consensus as to who will start and where they'll start.

The strongest candidate to assure himself a starting spot is Ben Leber on the strongside. It has been acknowledged that the Vikes intend to use him at Sam linebacker, but that is just the beginning of the questions.

The key to the linebacker puzzle could lay with rookie Chad Greenway. If Greenway can pick up the system quickly, the plan is to start him at weakside linebacker. In that case, it's likely that E.J. Henderson would be the starter at middle linebacker. But, as of now, Henderson is listed as No. 1 on the Will linebacker slot with Greenway as the No. 2. In that event, the middle linebacker position would be a battle between Napoleon Harris and Dontarrious Thomas -- both of whom struggled in brief attempts at being the Vikings' middle linebacker.

These position battles will be among the highlights of the training camp jockeying that will go on during August. But, with free agency and the draft well behind us and minicamps and a dozen OTA days in the rearview mirror, it would seem there are still more questions than answers when it comes to who will be at the linebacker spots on opening day. As of now, nothing has really been resolved in that regard.

MONDAY NOTES
    * The collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players union may not be a completely done deal after all. The six-year agreement, which is slated to run through the 2011 season may in fact only run through 2009. Lawyers for the league and the players association are hammering out the final language of the contract documentation and word is getting out from both sides that there may be a chance that the owners will opt out of the contract by the November, 2008 deadline -- which would trigger an end to the current deal by the end of the 2009 season. It is believed by several sources that the owners are convinced they can't afford the new deal, which gave many monetary concessions to the players.

* The NFL will conduct a supplemental draft of seven college players Thursday. It isn't expected that the Vikings will be one of the teams looking to make a pick among the group, but, if they do take a player, they will sacrifice a commensurate pick in next April's draft. Few teams get too deeply involved in supplemental drafts, but they have had some big-time players make a splash in the past, including Cleveland's drafting of Bernie Kosar via this system.

LB Questions Remain

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings: LB Questions Remain

I'd start getting worried if it was september 8th and this article was printed....right now, i don't think it's that big of a deal, let them fight it out on the field and see who wants it more.
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    MONDAY NOTES
    * The collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players union may not be a completely done deal after all. The six-year agreement, which is slated to run through the 2011 season may in fact only run through 2009. Lawyers for the league and the players association are hammering out the final language of the contract documentation and word is getting out from both sides that there may be a chance that the owners will opt out of the contract by the November, 2008 deadline -- which would trigger an end to the current deal by the end of the 2009 season. It is believed by several sources that the owners are convinced they can't afford the new deal, which gave many monetary concessions to the players.
    I love the Vikings - but this is much more important than anything having to do with our LB situation. That, if true, is horrible news. Tagliabue will be gone, so it will be up to a relatively inexperienced Commish to deal with the rancor.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

The article says that Napo struggled at MLB.. But he never had a shot?.. i dont remember it.. Cowart played all the games in the middle didnt he?..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

boognish is offline Coordinator

These articles are a joke. It's the same stupid story being re-hashed ad nauseum. Most of the players left town after the OTA's and they're not in training camp yet, so how can breaking news continue to come out of MN? It's hard to believe that someone gets paid to keep posting the same story over and over again, just changing the wording slightly.

We should quit posting this garbage on the board and wait until training camp stories or other newsworthy stories appear.

Here are the headlines for VikingUpdate for the next 3 weeks:

"Questions at LB abound for Vikes"
    "Depth at QB a key concern for Vikes"
    "C. Taylor out of shape; coaching staff unhappy"
    "Battle at MLB for Vikings"
    "Johnson's durability is worrisome for Vikes"
    "Blah, Blah, Blah..."
    I am a dipshit!!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I got one answer: Nap sucks!

ZDoy379 is offline Starter

i think that if napo was actually given the chance to play on defense instead of phuckin special teams all the time than he would be just like he was in oakland and that is fairly swell.

rolb=greenway
    mlb=henderson
    lolb=harris

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"ZDoy379" wrote:
    i think that if napo was actually given the chance to play on defense instead of phuckin special teams all the time than he would be just like he was in oakland and that is fairly swell.

rolb=greenway
    mlb=henderson
    lolb=harris
    He has been getting the most snaps at middle linebacker so he is getting his chance to win the job.

I got one answer: Nap sucks
    !

Good of you to keep an open mind Keith Newman is gone so get over it and start supporting those that are still here ultravikingfan. :roll:
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

oakmage is offline Starter

"boognish" wrote:
    "Blah, Blah, Blah..."
    Dude that article was my favorite articles right after the Yada Yada Yada one. :lol:

"ZDoy379" wrote:

rolb=greenway
    mlb=henderson
    lolb=harris
    I agree with you that I think Napo would do a great job if he was given a shot with good coaching.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "ZDoy379" wrote:

rolb=greenway
    mlb=henderson
    lolb=harris
    He has been getting the most snaps at middle linebacker so he is getting his chance to win the job.

I got one answer: Nap sucks
    !

Good of you to keep an open mind Keith Newman is gone so get over it and start supporting those that are still here ultravikingfan. :roll:
    Does that mean you're going to support JT O'Sullivan? :wink:

Ultra didn't say he wouldn't support him. He simply said he sux!

And I didn't see him contribute a whole lot last year.

Certainly it was a lot less than Newman & Johnstone.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast