singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: Kolodziej gets opportunity

Posted on Wed, Aug. 02, 2006

[size=18px]Kolodziej gets opportunity[/size]
    Defensive tackle fills in while Williams works on conditioning

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn.
    — One man's misfortune is another man's opportunity.

It's an old saying but a timely one for free-agent defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej, who lined up with the Vikings' first-team defense a second straight day Tuesday, with starter Pat Williams on the physically unable to perform list.

Kolodziej realizes he's no immediate threat to Williams, who will return as the starter once he gets his weight down and improves his conditioning, but the fifth-year veteran plans to take full advantage of his opportunity.

He also insisted he wasn't surprised that he got the first call to take Williams' place.

"Not really," Kolodziej said. "I started 14 games last year (for the Arizona Cardinals), so it's not something I'd be uncomfortable with or surprised about. It's the first day of camp, so it's not how you start; it's where you finish. Pat will be back here real quick. It's just a temporary thing, and you make the most of your opportunity and try to get better."

Kolodziej (pronounced Ka-LODGE-ee) played in 29 games in two seasons with the Cardinals, posting career highs last season in tackles (39) and sacks (three) after failing to appear in a regular-season game from 2002-03 with the New York Giants and San Francisco.

A seventh-round draft choice of the Giants in 2001, he said he had other options this offseason but chose to sign with the Vikings and coach Brad Childress, an assistant coach at Wisconsin when Kolodziej helped the Badgers to consecutive Rose Bowl victories over UCLA and Stanford.

Kolodziej said the familiarity factor played a part in his decision but that the overall quality of the coaching staff and the organization's commitment to winning were what really sold him.

Childress cautioned not to read too much significance into Kolodziej's temporary ascension to first-team status but added, "We picked up Ross for a reason. He can play football."

Kolodziej, whose first NFL sack came against New England's Tom Brady in 2004, said his situation hasn't changed. He still considers himself to be fighting for a roster spot.

"There's no guarantees in this business," he said. "Come cut time, you'll see names you'd be surprised to see — not just on this team but around the league. Training camp's always the time of year where guys that people might not expect come and step up, and guys that people expect something out of don't show up."

Young at heart: Much has been made about Brad Johnson's age going into this season, but he said he takes pride in being the NFL's oldest starting quarterback.

"I take care of my body, and I have a feeling for what I want to accomplish and what's in my tank," said Johnson, who turns 38 in September. "I want to play for a lot more years, not just try to get through a season. That's where I'm at in my career. I plan on playing a long time."

Canton-bound: Fullback Tony Richardson has been excused from Friday night's practice against Kansas City so he can attend Hall of Fame induction ceremonies for good friend and former Chiefs teammate Warren Moon.

Richardson, who played 11 seasons for the Chiefs before signing with the Vikings during the offseason, said he has no regrets about missing an opportunity to face his old team.

"It's just another practice for me," he said. "It just would have been a chance to high-five some guys I haven't seen in a while, that's all."

Rain or shine: Childress said he was prepared to move the morning practice, which began in a light drizzle that turned into steady rain, indoors if necessary. But he was glad that wasn't necessary.

"I don't think, obviously, we would have fought lightning or anything like that," he said. "You want to be smart."

The Vikings wore full pads in the morning and shorts and shells in the afternoon practice, held under dry skies.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Kolodziej gets opportunity

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings: Kolodziej gets opportunity

So they really like this guy, and he apparently lives up to it on the field.

Then we can start speculating in who gets cut. Spencer Johnson or C.J. Mosley? Or both?

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Prophet Guest

I assume Kolodziej is here to stay, seems like a decent guy with a good attitude.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I just hope that the coaching staff are fair in the evaluations and that CJ Mosley gets a chance.

When Mosley was taken by the Vikes in last years draft in the 6th round he was a steal, he has the talent but attitude and personal reasons kept him from being a much higher draft pick. He showed last year that he has the talent and could be the replacement for Pat in a couple of years if the Vikes coaching staff can get him to be a solid team player.

I know that Kolodziej has history with some of the coaching staff, but it should be who is the best player and has the talent! Not who do you know!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

while I don't know much about this new guy (not going to try to spell his name), Mosley and Johnson played very good last year in limited roles. Both are very young (1st year and 2nd year) and both had very low expectations (6th round pick and undrafted), but proved to be solid players. I hope they both are here to stay
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

Tanner_QBRB8 is offline Pro-Bowler

i especially think that Mosely shouldnt get cut because he was very solid last year in my opinion