Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Jan '06-Nov. '06. The story.

"Acumen" wrote:
    Wake up Pillow Munchers
    I bet you wrote that whole thing w/out taking a breath.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

ClanGunn is offline Waterboy

Is it just me or what? We ahould be 6-3. 9ers game C Taylor Touchdown gets called back because of A penalty, Pack ers game B. Johnson Touchdown Gets called back because of penalty. If both of these penalties hadn,t happened we could have won both of these games. Haven't we been shooting ourselves in the foots with stupid penalties all year or is it just me?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"ClanGunn" wrote:
    Is it just me or what? We ahould be 6-3. 9ers game C Taylor Touchdown gets called back because of A penalty, Pack ers game B. Johnson Touchdown Gets called back because of penalty. If both of these penalties hadn,t happened we could have won both of these games. Haven't we been shooting ourselves in the foots with stupid penalties all year or is it just me?
    No, anyone that has followed the Vikings this year knows that a big part of the Ls is sloppy playing and penalties at inopportune times.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ClanGunn" wrote:
    No, it's not just you.

Basically, here's a rundown of the Vikings problems:

Stupid penalties
    Missed blocks on passing downs - especially by the tackles
    WRs dropping balls
    Passes not going to TEs
    What APPEARS to be predictable play-calling
    Poor tackling by Fred Smoot - compare the rolling way he tackles with how Ced Griffen tackled yesterday
    An offense which REFUSES to get aggressive.
    3rd down dump-off passes
    The STUPID "stoppage-of-play" announcers at the MetroDome - Tiffany needs to be tied to the Watson's girl and tossed off of a bridge
    10. "Bring in Da Horns"
    Feeding the trivia answers to the contestants - although I loved the guy who won the Richard Simmons DVD yesterday
    HUGE lines for food at The Dome
    The lack of interceptions by the Defense - where is Sharper?
    Dwight Smith?
    Koren Robinson's drunken speeding
    Dwight Smith's hallway Sconnie-ing
    Fans with no patience
    Rainbow passes to the other team's CBs
    Long drives for FGs
    Phantom penalties which negate big plays (2 yesterday)

and finally,
    No Play-Makers

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"ClanGunn" wrote:
    In a perfect world, I understand where you are coming from.
    We should have won the Bears game too, CT fumbles instead of putting points on the board??

If you want to use this analogy though, then the Panthers would say, we would have won that game if it wasn't for Gamble.
    Then the Vikes would have one more loss.

You win some and you lose some.

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Good post Acumen and well thought out. Even though Johnson has struggled at times, and not always due to him, I cannot go along with those who favour benching him and bringing TJ in. All that will do is shatter his confidence as the OL are struggling to protect Johnson now so why would they protect TJ any better.

For years we struggled with a good offense and poor defence, so now we have the tables turned around and people have a problem dealing with it. Looking at the games people forget how close we have been, the defence has been playing well and with the odd break here and there and we could 6-3 and there would not be so much knee jerking going on - in fact some people have jerked that much that they can use their knees for ear muffs..

I don't agree with making judgements on Childress after only half a season, three years is a far amount of time. Given the amount of time of recent coaches then it could be argued that 3 years isn't a fair period but we will then have an idea of where the team is going by then.

I'll agree with the right side of the line being awful and that is something that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately this isn't something that will happen during the season and is something that we will have to live with. It is possible that Marcus Johnson is having problems due to having Hicks next to him and is picking up bad habits. I was watching the rams/seattle game last night and it was mentioned how one of the rams OL has the most false starts of the season. Who lines up next to him ?

yep good old Todd 'false start' Steussie - so younger players can pick up bad habits quite easily.

I was hoping for a division title this year though no more but maybe that was being overly optimistic. There is still a chance to make the playoffs a wild-card but I think that would be a one and out in the postseason. Until we're mathematically eliminated then I'm still going for a post-season spot.

We have a good defence, currently missing a couple of key players like James and Greenway, and a solid base for Tomlin to build on further for next year. Offensively there is room for improvement without a doubt and scope for upgarding via draft and FA during the offseason. WR being a major area to be looked at though I suspect via FA rather than the draft.

However that's off-season action, for the moment we're still in this season. Next week is the start of the rest of the season.
    I agree that three years is even short-term.
    People that are in panic mode after part of one season need to get their prescriptions filled.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "ClanGunn" wrote:
    No, it's not just you.

Basically, here's a rundown of the Vikings problems:

Stupid penalties
    Missed blocks on passing downs - especially by the tackles
    WRs dropping balls
    Passes not going to TEs
    What APPEARS to be predictable play-calling
    Poor tackling by Fred Smoot - compare the rolling way he tackles with how Ced Griffen tackled yesterday
    An offense which REFUSES to get aggressive.
    3rd down dump-off passes
    The STUPID "stoppage-of-play" announcers at the MetroDome - Tiffany needs to be tied to the Watson's girl and tossed off of a bridge
    10. "Bring in Da Horns"
    Feeding the trivia answers to the contestants - although I loved the guy who won the Richard Simmons DVD yesterday
    HUGE lines for food at The Dome
    The lack of interceptions by the Defense - where is Sharper?
    Dwight Smith?
    Koren Robinson's drunken speeding
    Dwight Smith's hallway Sconnie-ing
    Fans with no patience
    Rainbow passes to the other team's CBs
    Long drives for FGs
    Phantom penalties which negate big plays (2 yesterday)

and finally,
    No Play-Makers

=Z=
    Seems like a pretty comprehensive list...you forgot one...Zygi not paying the REFS more than Robert Kraft did a few weeks ago!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

The thought of 3 years of Childress being head coach makes me wanna go skydiving without
    a parachute. If he could actually coach our team to be more disciplined, and give the playbook to someone, anyone, else, it wouldnt be so bad. I think he was picked as HC because he is the exact opposite of Mike Tice. That doesnt make him good. Time will tell.

"CCthebest" wrote:
    The thought of 3 years of Childress being head coach makes me wanna go skydiving without
    a parachute. If he could actually coach our team to be more disciplined, and give the playbook to someone, anyone, else, it wouldnt be so bad. I think he was picked as HC because he is the exact opposite of Mike Tice. That doesnt make him good. Time will tell.
    Yes, time will tell.
    The opposite of Tice?
    I guess that's right, he worked his way up through the coaching ranks, he can think, and he is respected among his colleagues.
    Don't see any problems with that.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I was going to start my own thread, but I thought I would put it here instead.

[size=14pt]What is the Vikings Biggest Problem?[/size]

It may just be your Biggest fear, "the Abyss."

With Acu's lengthy and ever so calming post, we might just be ready to confront the TRUTH.
    Now your mind is telling you something similar to what Jack said in A Few Good Men, "you can't handle the truth."
    You need to tell your mind to be quiet for another few minutes while you take the time to read in peace.

So let's take a quick step back to game one when our minds were still at peace with the Team the Season and the Coaches.
    We had a lot to look forward to.
    We didn't know where our season was heading, but we were optimistic.
    We had 16 games in front of
    us and we were telling ourselves, all we need is 9 wins and we can get in, to the playoffs that is.
    We still had that hope of the ever elusive Super Bowl victory.
    So we play the Redskins, we win, and we all get it in the back of our heads that we are going to go undefeated on the season, or atleast we have that chance.

Week 3 comes around, and we get our first loss, we are 2-1 which is one game above .500 and our hopes of going undefeated are thrown out the window. At this point, we start to lower our expectations a bit, but we still have the "we lost to a top teir team, so we will be OK," story to hang our hats or our season on.

Week 4 comes around and we are handed another loss, this time by what we are all saying are the lowly Bills.
    Wow that hurts!
    Well, we can justify it with maybe they are better than we thought.
    Where are they now, 3-6 and bottom dwelling in the AFC East.

Weak 5, no that is not a typing error, I did say weak which equals the Lions.
    We beat this team, knowing that they are weak and we get all enthused again about how we are going to kick some jiggly butt and take over the North.
    Let me remind you that we were donw 17-3 at the start of the 4th quarter and scored 23 unanswered points to win the game.
    Let me also remind you that if it wasn't for Kitna and the mistake prone Lion's we would have lost that game also. Please sea exhibit A

Exhibit A:

Week 7, we head into Seattle coming off a bye week.
    We are rested and our coaches have had ample time to game plan against the Walrus and his band of Super Bowl losers.
    I think if I remember right, this was a game that most of us on PPO, were willing to let slide.
    But amazingly enough, we come out on top, against their back up RB and their back up QB.
    Now we are 4-2 and we are all looking at that November schedule and had drool rolling down our chins. Let's go Brad squared, bring on the Pats.

Well, to make a short story even shorter, weeks 8,9 and 10, the Pats, Niners, and the Packers all brought it right upside the head.
    While we were drooling at that schedule of low lifes and drivel was pouring out of our mouths about how we had it so easy in the mont of Nov, we found out this season's glaring Truth.
    That truth is that we are an AVG team.
    But within this truth, there is another truth that we are all facing.
    That truth may just answer the question, "what is wrong with our team?" The answer may not be a coach or player, it might be you.
    Now before you go off the deep end and call out for the PPO lynching of Snow, hear me out.
    The problem is you and your fear that not only are we not very good right now, but what the hell happens if we fall into the NFC Abyss over the next few seasons, what if we become the Lions?
    Ouch!
    I am not ready to handle the truth to that extent.
    I think that the problem is that we aren't being patient enough or realistic enough.
    There has to be a happy middle ground somewhere.
    We are AVG, I just hope we aren't below AVG.

Wins
    Wash 3-6
    Car

4-4
    Det

2-7
    Sea
    6-3

Losses
    Chi

8-1
    Buf