Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Jan '06-Nov. '06. The story.

Wake up Pillow Munchers

The surreal world of the Church of Chicken Little is upon us.
    The converts from the ‘trade for Moss’ denomination are overshadowed by the Start Tarvaris denomination and the O-line sucks sect followed by a new cult calling themselves the Tice was better hold-outs.
    The day of worshipping the golden calf is upon us and the peasants are being mislead by every wind of doctrine that passes by their non-convalescent grey matter.

Following is a brief summary of some important highlights of the Vikings 2006 offseason and season to date.
    The summary will not be mired in opinion, just simply offer a quick temporal breakdown of where the Vikings are today with a brief wrap-up mired in opinion.

New Coach
    On Jan. 5, 2006, Zygi Wilf was the first owner to fill the head coaching vacancy created when Tices’ contract was not renewed.
    Wilf aggressively pursued Childress.
    Brad Childress became the seventh head coach for the Minnesota Vikings.
    You can read his acceptance speech here.
    This year marks his 29th year of coaching experience and his ninth in the NFL.
    He has worked his way up through the ranks in his career and has proven in multiple different scenarios that he can excel and his colleagues believe in him.
    His W/L this year is hovering around a 0.500 record and some are calling for his head.
    Brilliant.
    He has coached a few games his first season and all of a sudden Tice is better?
    I will gladly pay for anyone's lobotomy that truly believes that.

To top it off, a few fans are even saying that Mike Tice was at least as good as Brad Childress.
    Please take a few minutes and look at the biographies of the two coaches and decide which one was better prepared to take control as the head coach of an NFL team at that juncture of their career.
    If you are semi-conscious, it is readily apparent that Mike Tice should have ended his head coaching career the year after he was crowned the interim head coach by Red McCombs.
    Red enjoyed sitting on his wallet while this genius was allowed to run the team into mediocrity for half a decade.
    If there is a person alive that thinks Mike Tice is capable of winning a close game where the teams are evenly matched and it relies on his coaching skills, I do not want to meet him.

Defensive Coordinator/coaching staff
    On Jan. 10, the Vikings added Mike Tomlin as the defensive coordinator.
    The other teams were still on the hunt for a new head coach while the Vikings were hiring the blue-chip coaches from around the league.
    They continued to add a large number of coaches that was unprecedented during Red McComb’s reign as owner.

The Daunte Saga

Childress said Daunte Culpepper was going to be the team's starter and that Brad Johnson was going to be the backup.
    After becoming coach Childress said , "Daunte right now is the franchise quarterback, he's the guy, and we'll just leave it at that. We hope he gets well, and rehabs. …I've always believed a guy doesn't lose his position if he gets hurt," Childress said. "But Brad Johnson is a talented guy, and he won a lot of football games for you guys this year, and I'm familiar with him, and he knows this system." Culpepper did not return phone calls seeking comment. Johnson could not be reached for comment.

On January 9, 2006, Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings injured QB Daunte Culpepper has agreed to fly to the Twin Cities from Orlando this week to spend some time visiting with new head coach Brad Childress. "I spoke to Daunte Saturday morning. I had a nice conversation with him," Childress said. "I will have a chance to sit down face-to-face with him here later in the week." Childress wants to tell Culpepper how valuable he is to the team. Apparently, Culpepper is making good progress after undergoing surgery to repair his knee. The meeting never happened.

The calm before the storm ended on February 16, 2006. The article entitled, Daunte’s Inferno summarizes what was going on while the Vikings faithful were patiently waiting for the outcome of Daunte’s disappearance and trade rumors. In the height of the controversy Mr. Culpepper sent an e-mail to the Associated Press that read as follows: "I have found over the years that people with knowledge of the situation are usually the most ignorant, and anonymous sources are usually synonymous with cowards who don't want to go on the record," Culpepper said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "My position has been and continues to be that I am focusing on rehabilitating my knee so that I can come back and play the game I love at the highest level." "Until I hear different from Mr. Wilf or the new 'triangle of authority' at the Vikings, I plan on playing quarterback for Minnesota. Trying to delve into speculation, innuendo, rumor or anything else of this nature would be a waste of energy. I choose at this time to spend my energy on getting healthy. Thank you for relaying this message to the public."

On March 8, 2006 my interest and support for Daunte vanished. I loved watching Daunte play and was a supporter of him for years. When times get tough the true character of a man comes out. We saw his true character, and I did not like it. The infamous Trade me, or Terminate my Contract article appeared where Daunte stated, “…However, because of the fundamental differences I have with management regarding the approach to my personal and professional life, I think it is the best business decision for both parties to go our separate ways." Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press reported on March 8, 2006, that Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper has said he would like the team to release him if the Vikings are not able to trade him. "Now that I have confirmed that the Vikings have been seeking to trade me, I have asked for permission to speak to the interested teams. The Vikings have denied my request," Culpepper said in an e-mail to the paper. "If a trade does not happen, then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible. ... Because of the fundamental differences I have with management regarding the approach to my personal and professional life, I think it is the best business decision for both parties to go our separate ways," Culpepper said. Again, done by e-mail while he still had not met with the new HC and stayed in Florida to rehab. on his own.

On March 16, 2006, Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press, reported Miami Dolphins QB Daunte Culpepper and Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf blamed each other for the way Culpepper's career in Minnesota came to an end. Culpepper said, "Up until March 6, I felt I was going to be a Minnesota Viking. It really wasn't about money. It was about the principle of the whole thing. The way I see myself is way more important than any dollar amount that someone can throw at me." Wilf claims, "We tried everything to have him be our leader. But it seemed like a lot of things that happened last year, between the injury and the (Love Boat) incident, he felt it was time to move on. His attitude has been building up since we asked him to work out up here. He decided, against everyone's suggestion; that he was going to do things independently on his own." Also, on March 16, 2006, in an article in USA Today, "We thought we could find a way in which we could get Daunte to work with us and to get into the plan that we were trying to put together for our future. With everything he had gone through this past year, the injury and the incidents and everything else, getting rid of his agent, it just seemed to me that in his mind he wanted to make a change in his life and in his career. ... We tried everything we could do to accommodate, but it didn't seem like he was interested in staying a Viking."

On March 17, 2006, Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel reported that Brad Childress said Daunte Culpepper was seeking more money, and lots of it. “Somewhere there is a buy-in factor. I just didn't think that was the case," Childress said. "Right from the beginning. As I mentioned, I never had a conversation with him about this football team. It was always about what he needed financially and money. I never heard team, I always heard me and I and, 'I need $10 million. I'm a $10 million-dollar-a-year quarterback.'" "It just became a deal where I didn't feel like it was the team, I felt like it was 'me,'" Childress said on March 21, 2006, about Culpepper. "I went through a big 'me' situation last year with a guy who was all about 'me.'"

Childress handled the situation professionally based on his actual comments and not on the media's twist of his comments. It was a touchy situation and Childress knew it was. The Vikings organization had to say something from their angle or the media would run with it and destroy credibility of the Vikings organization. Childress was forced to address the issue because Culpepper was whining like a newborn to the press.

What happened?
    1. Management's feelings were hurt, 2. Daunte's feelings were hurt, 3. No reconciliation took place, 4. Daunte was traded.

Some of the Daunte faithful surmised the Vikings got a raw deal in the trade with the Dolphins. Reality is that Daunte wanted out and the Vikings received the fair market value for him while racing against a $6M deadline of March 24, 2006. The perception of what he was worth and the reality of what he was worth were two different things.

Post-Daunte Saga
    the Interim Brad Johnson Era
    Daunte left.
    The Vikings had the option to trade up for one of the ‘big three’ QBs in the draft or to sit tight and start to build up the new team.
    The Vikings strengthened other positions during free agency and the draft and are counting on Brad Johnson to help in the conversion of a new offense while the theoretical new quarterback of the future, Tarvaris Jackson, is groomed. If you want to delve into the ‘start Tarvaris’ sect I beg you to at least read this thread in its entirety before going off on some nonsensical tangent.
    In that same thread, there is another post by Caine that should be required reading at this juncture of the season.

Other acquisitions
    The offensive line was beefed up, an all-pro fullback added to the team and an every down running back. The draft consisted of Chad Greenway (#17) on IR, Cedric Griffin (#48), Ryan Cook (raw, but talented) (#51), Tarvaris Jackson (#64), Ray Edwards (#127), and Greg Blue (#149).
    Personally, I like all the picks, there are a few that are stretches, but you can never analyze the success/failure of your picks until a few years down the road.
    Tank Williams and some others that my mind refuses to remember are also hovering in the background.

2006 Regular season
    A few bits of information for the play calling is the problem crowd follow.
    The abbreviations are P=Pass, R=Run, Pu=Punt, FG=Field Goal.

GAME 1: Vikings @ Redskins 19-16

The first game of the season results in a win in Redskin country.
    Vikings fans are thrilled with the resurgence of the running game and a rare road win against a team predicted to make the playoffs.

Play calling by down:

1st
    P,P,R,P,R,R,R,R,P,R,R,R,R,R,P,P,R,R,R,R,R,R,R,R,R (24% passes, 76% runs)
    2nd R,R,P,R,R,R,P,R,P,R,P,R,P,R,P,R.R,R,R,R (30% passes, 70% runs)
    3rd P, P, R,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,R (90% passes, 10% runs)
    4th Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, FG, Pu,FG

The running game dominated, but the third downs still resulted in 90% passing.

GAME 2: Panthers @ Vikings 16-13 OT

The standout play in this game was the boneheaded cross field pass by Gamble, that Fox took credit for, giving the Vikings a win.
    The purple-shaded faithful began to get excited about the new look Vikings.
    The offense was beginning to worry people, but the defense was refreshing.

Play calling by down:

1st
    P,R,R,P,P,R,P,R,R,R,R,P,P,R,R,R,R,P,R,R,P,P,P,P,P, P,R,R,R (45% passes, 55% runs)
    2nd R,R,P,P,R,P,R,P,P,R,R,P,P,P,P,R,R,P,R,R (50% passes, 50% runs)
    3rd R,P,P,R,P,R,R,P,P,P,P,P,P,P, FG (71% passes, 29% runs)
    4th R, FG, Pu, Pu, Pu, FG, R, Pu, P, Pu, Pu

The most evenly split run/passing game of the year.
    The third downs still resulted in a heavy passing percentage.

GAME 3: Bears @ Vikings 19-16

This game was won in the trenches, and the Vikings gave it away in a turnover late in the game.

Play calling by down:

1st
    P,R,P,P,R,R,R,P,P,P,R,R,P,P,R,R,P,R,P,R,R,R,P (48% pass, 52% run)
    2nd R,R,R,P,P,R,R,P,R,P,P,P,P,R,P,P,R,P,P (58% pass, 42% run)
    3rd P,P,P,P,P,P,P,R,R,P,P,P,P,P,R,R (75% pass, 25% run)
    4th FG, Pu, Pu, FG, Pu, Pu, FG, P

Another evenly distributed game in the rushing and passing game.

GAME 4: Vikings @ Bills 12-17

Pathetic showing, gave up on the run.

Play calling by down:

1st
    R,P,P,R,R,P,R,R,P,P,P,R,P,P,R,R,P,P,P,P,P,P (64% pass, 36% run)
    2nd R,R,P,P,R,P,P,P,P,R,P,P,R,P,P,R,P,P,P (68% pass, 32% run)
    3rd P.P,P,R,P,P,P, FG, P,P,P,P,P (92% pass, 8% run)
    4th FG, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, P,P

The first game where passing statistics were considerably higher than the rushing statistics by down, even though the game was within reach.

GAME 5: Lions @ Vikings 26-17

Vikings came alive in the fourth quarter scoring 24 pts against the hapless Lions.

Play calling by down:

1st
    P,R,P,R,R,R,P,R,R,P,R,P,R,P,R,P,R,P,P,P,R,P,R,R,R, P,R (44% passes, 54% runs)
    2nd R,R,P,R,P,R,P,P,P,P,P,P,R,R,P,R,R,R,P,R,P,P,R,R (50% passes, 50% runs)
    3rd P,P,P,R,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,R (86% pass, 14% run)
    4th FG, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, FG,

Another evenly split game with rushin/passing in the first and second downs, the Viking squeaked out a win by coming alive in the fourth.

GAME 6: Vikings @ Seattle 31-13
    The Vikings appeared to come alive this game with Chester Taylor having a career day.
    All was well in Viking land.

Play calling by down:

1st
    P,R,R,P,R,R,R,R,R,R,P,P,R,P,R,R,R,R,R,R,R (24% pass, 76% run)
    2nd R,P,P,R,P,P,R,P,R,P,R,P,R,R,R (47% pass, 53% run)
    3rd R,P,P,R,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,R (77% pass, 23% run)
    4th FG, Pu, Pu, P, FG, Pu, Pu, Pu

In this game there was an inverse relationship between the first and third downs regarding rushing/passing.
    The second downs were evenly split with the rushing and passing attack.

GAME 7: Patriots @ Vikings 7-31

Vikings were owned.

Play calling by down:

1st P,P,R,P,P,R,P,P,R,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,R,P,P,R,P,P,P,P (80% passes, 20% runs)
    2nd P,R,R,R,R,P,P,P,R,P,P,P,P,P,R,P (63% pass, 37% run)
    3rd P,P,R,P,P,P,R,P,P,P,P,P,P (84% pass, 16% run)
    4th Pu, Pu, Pu, P, Pu, Pu, P

The play calling in this game was similar to the Bills game, however, the Vikings were getting destroyed in this game.
    I still don’t understand why they didn’t pound the ball more in the Bills game.

GAME 8: Vikings @ 9ers 3-9

Vikings has a pathetic offensive showing, the defense kept them in the game, again.

Play calling by down:

1st P,R,R,R,R,P,R,R,P,P,R,R,P,P,P,R,R,P,R,R,R,R,P,P,P, P,P,R,P (48% passes, 52% run)
    2nd R,R,P,R,R,R,R,R,P,P,P,R,P,R,R,R,R,R,R,R,R (24% passes, 76% run)
    3rd R,R,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P (86% pass, 14% run)
    4th FG, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, P

A nice split statistically, the offense was dead again for reasons we have discussed ad nauseum.

GAME 9: Packers @ Vikings 17-23

Vikings has a pathetic offensive showing, the defense kept them in the game, again.

Play calling by down:

1st R,R,R,P,R,P,P,R,R,R,R,R,R,R,R,P,R,R,P,P,P (33% passes, 67% run)
    2nd P,P,R,R,R,P,R,R,P,R,P,R,P,R,P,P,P (53% passes, 47% run)
    3rd P,P,P,P,P,P,P,R,P,P,P,P,P,P,P,P (94% passes, 6% run)
    4th Pu, R, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, Pu, FG

The distribution looks reasonable for the rushing/passing game.
    Some key penalties and lackluster play resulted in another loss.

Wrap-up mired in opinion

The bottomline is that I have no reason to believe that playcalling is the big issue.
    Like others have said, it is execution.
    The coaches are responsible for getting the players ready to play and for calling the shots, but they cannot be responsible for players screwups on the field.
    Ridiculous penalties, missed reads, missed catches, crappy blocking, poor execution across the board for the offense and sporadically for the defense.

Another thing, the homers that thought this was a SB run year, good for you.
    You are more optimisitc than I am.
    A new coaching staff and new schemes across the board and what happens?
    You get a pendulum effect.
    Some areas excell one week and others don't.
    The team is working on improvement and they will get better.
    They have been in every game down to the last minute except for the Patrots game.
    Should there be a shakeup on offense?
    Maybe.
    Do you think you are better qualified to make that decision than the coaching staff that has close to a century of combined coaching experience?
    I highly doubt it.

Childress gets a pass for at least three years.
    He will continue to add depth to the lines and solidify the weaknesses on the team.
    He has a helluva lot more riding on it than you or I do.
    He has the potential to be one of the elite Vikings coaches.
    If you truly think he is washed up at this juncture of his career you should seriously consider taking up this sport.

There is no reason the Vikings could not make the post-season yet.
    The Vikings have lost close games this season, they are not getting destroyed.
    Their schedule remains soft and they are just missing an offensive spark.
    They are in all likelihood a few years away from getting their rings, but this season is not over.
    They need to continue to work on their problems and hold their heads up high in the process.
    This team is on the right track for the first time in a long time.
    The offense is a few pieces of the puzzle away from performing and the defense has made progress.
    Get some balls and quit whining.
    Anyone that has followed the Vikings for any amount of time knows that the Packers/Vikings rivarly is tough regardless of the season (44-45-1).
    The battle continues.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Re: Vikings Jan '06-Nov. '06. The story.

Red enjoyed sitting on his wallet while this genius was allowed to run the team into mediocrity for half a decade.

[/quote]
    good post. although i have to say i couldnt recognize him w/ out the pencil suck in his ear. i wonder if he still does that
    "God has blessed me tremendously. I'd be a fool to complain."
    "From what I understand, the coaches will put the best 11 on the field."
    -Tyrell Johnson

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Great post there....it really sums up what we've been through. I think with all of that crap going down and a rookie head coach 4-5 is reasonable. A superbowl, 12-4 year would have been nice, but it isn't realistic.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

An unbiased view of the past few years.

People need to get their heads out of their asses and shape up. No need to jump off of a damn bridge because we are below .500. It's a losing season, get over it. And hey, think of it this way. We're one game closer to Calvin Johnson!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

There is no way in heck Childress gets a pass for 3 years if the team plays like this with the talent they have.

The past 2 weeks they got beat by teams they should have handled and today they got outcoached and outplayed by a team we were all laughing at during the beginning of the season.

This is no longer a league that allows you to come in and take 3-4 years to win,there is too much money on the table for that.

Here is another brief history:

Childress was hired because he came from a successful system in Philadelphia. The team won with great defense and an offense with a successful QB,who he had a hand in developing, and a group of no-name receivers(Pre- T-Ho) and an O-line who had few players who were household names but still managed to get to the NFC Championship 3 times in a row.

This year he is gone from Philly and I am not sure who the new OC is, but they lead the league in plays over 20 yards. They re-emerged as possibly the top offense in the NFC and aquired Daunte Stallworth who has emerged as one of the best receivers in the league.

The Vikings,meanwhile have gone from one of the top offensive teams in the league over the past decade to going 29 straight posessions without scoring a touchdown. they released their #1 receiver,let the #2 go in free agency, and replaced them with players that have never proven to have the ability to consistently catch the ball when placed in their hands or to run correct routes that allow them to create separation with the DB which has led to an increase in interceptions.

The Defense is greatly improved. While the offense has remained fairly healthy the defense has been severely challenged by injuries to key players. Greenway, Tank Williams, Erasmus James and others certainly has had an impact. Without James the pass rush has really become tame and the secondary could really use every player who we had under contract. Still they are playing well enough for us to win if the offense helps at all.

On offense they got rid of Culpepper and from the looks of it, Miami may have given up too much to get him. +1 for us.
    We signed hutch to a big contract and he is the strength of the line right now. This should make a strong case for human cloning as we could use 3 or 4 more of him.+1
    We also signed McKinney to a monster contract to keep him happy and he has responded by getting his jock handed to him on a consistent basis. I guess pride is no longer something that matters to him because his opponents have stripped every bit of what he ever had. -2
    The right side of the line was also retooled and they are not working out at all. -1

there is more but it is getting late.

The bottom line is we are only as good as our record and right now that is sub-.500

You can complain about Tice or Green or Burns but until Childress gets the team to win games they should and until he outcoaches the opposition instead of getting outcoached he is no better than any of them. I hope he does end up being our Belichek and that we win some super bowls with him in the future but right now the way we are playing There is no team on our schedule that we will be favored to beat including detroit.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    There is no way in heck Childress gets a pass for 3 years if the team plays like this with the talent they have.

The past 2 weeks they got beat by teams they should have handled and today they got outcoached and outplayed by a team we were all laughing at during the beginning of the season.

This is no longer a league that allows you to come in and take 3-4 years to win,there is too much money on the table for that.
    They are not as bad as you like to believe.
    He will get three years, my guess is longer after they start performing.

Here is another brief history:

Childress was hired because he came from a successful system in Philadelphia. The team won with great defense and an offense with a successful QB,who he had a hand in developing, and a group of no-name receivers(Pre- T-Ho) and an O-line who had few players who were household names but still managed to get to the NFC Championship 3 times in a row.

This year he is gone from Philly and I am not sure who the new OC is, but they lead the league in plays over 20 yards. They re-emerged as possibly the top offense in the NFC and aquired Daunte Stallworth who has emerged as one of the best receivers in the league.
    Missing the point here.
    Childress has done well in every position he has had during his career.

The Vikings,meanwhile have gone from one of the top offensive teams in the league over the past decade to going 29 straight posessions without scoring a touchdown. they released their #1 receiver,let the #2 go in free agency, and replaced them with players that have never proven to have the ability to consistently catch the ball when placed in their hands or to run correct routes that allow them to create separation with the DB which has led to an increase in interceptions.
    ...and how does this have anything to do with Childress?
    Maybe KRob going off on a drunken chase is his fault or the poison pill for Nate 'I'm as mediocre as they come' Burleson?

The Defense is greatly improved. While the offense has remained fairly healthy the defense has been severely challenged by injuries to key players. Greenway, Tank Williams, Erasmus James and others certainly has had an impact. Without James the pass rush has really become tame and the secondary could really use every player who we had under contract. Still they are playing well enough for us to win if the offense helps at all.
    Agree.
    The plan wasn't complicated.
    BJ buys time while Tarvaris develops.
    Now, if Childress put all his apples into Tarvaris and he doesn't pan out you will have something to whine about.

On offense they got rid of Culpepper and from the looks of it, Miami may have given up too much to get him. +1 for us.
    Maybe you should re-read the summary above.
    Culpepper left.
    There is no opinion in my summary, just stating facts, quotes, from the situation.
    Culpepper wanted out, he left.
    Yes, it's a big plus.

We signed hutch to a big contract and he is the strength of the line right now. This should make a strong case for human cloning as we could use 3 or 4 more of him.+1
    Agree.

We also signed McKinney to a monster contract to keep him happy and he has responded by getting his jock handed to him on a consistent basis. I guess pride is no longer something that matters to him because his opponents have stripped every bit of what he ever had. -2

The right side of the line was also retooled and they are not working out at all. -1
    McKinney was going to be a free agent this offseason and the first sentence uttered out of Childress' mouth related to his plan for the Vikings was that he was going to solidfy the lines.
    McKinnie does appear to be a slouch after the signing, he has always been a little slow.
    They will continue to solidify the lines, that is his philosophy.
    Given the salary cap and their offseason acquisitions they have done ok.
    Hicks alone makes the whole right side look like crap (I'm making a big assumption that some of M. Johnsons woes are related to Hicks).

there is more but it is getting late.

The bottom line is we are only as good as our record and right now that is sub-.500
    Look at the NFC standings right now.
    The Vikings are right in the thick of the wildcard hunt.
    That is beside the point though, they will not go deep in the playoffs this year even if they do make it, they are a year or two away.

You can complain about Tice or Green or Burns but until Childress gets the team to win games they should and until he outcoaches the opposition instead of getting outcoached he is no better than any of them. I hope he does end up being our Belichek and that we win some super bowls with him in the future but right now the way we are playing There is no team on our schedule that we will be favored to beat including detroit.
    Tice had a sub-0.500 record as the HC for the Vikings the last time I checked.
    He hovered around 0.500 every year and the difference was they always looked mediocre.
    He had no right being an HC.
    Did you notice how many of the six teams were knocking down his door for a HCing job when he was made available?
    There's a reason for that, he was not good.
    To even think that Tice is on the same level is ludicrous.
    If you look at his biography when he was brought in as HC for the Vikings he got a half a decade of on-the-job training.
    He may be good sometime, but we are talking today.
    Now.
    Childress is in his first year.
    Writing him off is so myopic that it is beyond words.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Great comment Acumen.
    And I'm NOT trying to hijack the thread, but anyone else notice the poll on the PaperRockScissors website?

"Do you plan on attending the 2006 World RPS Championships this fall?"

45%-"Never in a million years!"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Here is another piece of history;

Bud Grant' 1st 3 years;

1967: 3-8-3

1968: 8-6

1969: 12-2

Bud is now a HOF coach

Belichick (New England) went 5-11 his first year.

I'm not saying Childress will or will not be a great coach, but 1 year is not enough to tell the whole story, as history will show you.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

This is a great breakdown of this year Acumen. I completely agree with you, I have looked at it the same way throughout the year.

For me it is officially a rebuilding year. However I thought that we would still have a reasonable chance to make a playoff push. Even if you're right in saying that we still have that chance given the schedule, I'm still too much down after yesterdays upset to believe that we'll end up making it.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good post Acumen and well thought out. Even though Johnson has struggled at times, and not always due to him, I cannot go along with those who favour benching him and bringing TJ in. All that will do is shatter his confidence as the OL are struggling to protect Johnson now so why would they protect TJ any better.
    For years we struggled with a good offense and poor defence, so now we have the tables turned around and people have a problem dealing with it. Looking at the games people forget how close we have been, the defence has been playing well and with the odd break here and there and we could 6-3 and there would not be so much knee jerking going on - in fact some people have jerked that much that they can use their knees for ear muffs..
    I don't agree with making judgements on Childress after only half a season, three years is a far amount of time. Given the amount of time of recent coaches then it could be argued that 3 years isn't a fair period but we will then have an idea of where the team is going by then.
    I'll agree with the right side of the line being awful and that is something that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately this isn't something that will happen during the season and is something that we will have to live with. It is possible that Marcus Johnson is having problems due to having Hicks next to him and is picking up bad habits. I was watching the rams/seattle game last night and it was mentioned how one of the rams OL has the most false starts of the season. Who lines up next to him ?
    yep good old Todd 'false start' Steussie - so younger players can pick up bad habits quite easily.
    I was hoping for a division title this year though no more but maybe that was being overly optimistic. There is still a chance to make the playoffs a wild-card but I think that would be a one and out in the postseason. Until we're mathematically eliminated then I'm still going for a post-season spot.
    We have a good defence, currently missing a couple of key players like James and Greenway, and a solid base for Tomlin to build on further for next year. Offensively there is room for improvement without a doubt and scope for upgarding via draft and FA during the offseason. WR being a major area to be looked at though I suspect via FA rather than the draft.

However that's off-season action, for the moment we're still in this season. Next week is the start of the rest of the season.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast