Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Vikings to Interview Ted Cottrel for the Headcoaching Job.

WTF? this guy can't handle our defense. How is he gonna handle the whole team?

Moving quickly to begin their search for a new head coach, the Vikings will interview incumbent defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell on Tuesday afternoon, ESPN.com has learned.

It is not known if Cottrell will actually be the first candidate to interview, since the Vikings were attempting on Monday evening to arrange a meeting with another potential candidate, believed to be Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. The Rams, who on Monday fired Mike Martz, have asked permission to speak to Rivera.

Because he is an assistant with a playoff team that has a first-round bye, Rivera must be interviewed this week by suitors or wait until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs to meet with interested franchises.

A 22-year NFL veteran, Cottrell has interviewed for several head coach vacancies in the past and finished runner up to Dennis Erickson for the top job in San Francisco in 2003. Cottrell is black and Rivera is Hispanic, and both would enable the Vikings to meet the guidelines of the "Rooney Rules," which compel teams to interview minority candidates for head coach openings.

Sources said, though, that Cottrell is a serious candidate to succeed Mike Tice, dismissed on Sunday night by new owner Zygi Wilf. Several Vikings veterans lobbied Wilf and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski on behalf of Cottrell's inclusion in the interview process.

Cottrell, 58, joined the Vikings staff in 2004. His defense statistically ranked 21st overall this season but demonstrated marked improvement in the second half of the year, when a half-dozen new starters began to play well together and the team built a winning streak that thrust it into the NFC playoff race.

Notable in the second-half improvement is that the Vikings became more aggressive and began taking the ball away with regularity. Minnesota finished the season with 35 takeaways, fifth-most in the league, and posted a plus-five turnover differential for the year.

Before joining Tice's staff last season, Cottrell's previous NFL stops included Kansas City (1981-82), Buffalo (1986-89 and 1995-2000), Arizona (1990-94) and the New York Jets (2001-2003).

Sources said Monday evening that the Vikings are nearing an agreement with Eagles vice president Tom Heckert to become the top personnel official in their reorganized front office. In an afternoon news conference, Wilf declined to discuss the possibility of Heckert joining the team, but said he hoped to have a new head coach in place by the end of this month.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings to Interview Ted Cottrel for the Headcoaching Job.

ugh.. cotrell.. maybe he wont be doing the defensive play calling anymore then
    i m better than you, so just give up...

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Vikings to Interview Ted Cottrel for the Headcoaching Jo

Well, they do have to interview a minority candidate.

Maybe they are just using Ted to fill that role.

There is no way they would take him as the HC.

(I would drop dead where I stand if they did)

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

NO NOT COTRELL. He needs to GO. I think this may just be so that we can meet the guidelines of interviewing a black head coach. Other than that i have no idea why we would ever do that.

Also... Is the heckert thing true? That would be really cool. I also like that zygi wants a new HC by the end of this month. He wants to do thing quickly so that we can continue with building the team.

napo58 is offline Pro-Bowler

Ultra, I think it will be hard to support the vikings if Cottrell becomes hc!!!! I hate this crap crap crap, damn no!!!

Why does it say that our players are lobbying for his return?

vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer

FUCK THAT!!! Cottrell is a fucking retard!!! with the talent we have on D to be ranked twenty fuckin first! If anyone needed to be fired it's him. I will be a VIKE fan till I die BUT if ted does become the HC then we will most certainly have the #1 draft pick in the 2007 draft! I pray to GOD that he does not become HC
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z

I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

This is bit scary cause they could just interview the hispanic fella but i guess there serious about giving cotrell a serious shot at an interview/possible head coaching job.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i woulda had him fired before tice.
    and i guess we came up just short on heckert

napo58 is offline Pro-Bowler

no!!! NO!!!!!!!

ok Ron Rivera please please please!!! Come to Minnesota please. IF ziggy hires Cottrell, I will HATE HIM!!!!!

Ron and lovie made the bears defense, Cottrell is killing ours!!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"napo58" wrote:
    Ultra, I think it will be hard to support the vikings if Cottrell becomes hc!!!! I hate this crap crap crap, gol 'darnit no!!!

Why does it say that our players are lobbying for his return?
    The players like cotrell just like they liked tice. We got alot of players to come to Minn, mainly on defense because of cotrell, players follow good coaches. I'm not thrilled with the job he has done as our DC at all times but i must give him credit for getting our d to play solid most of the year.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast