Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Insider: Quarterback question has an answer

You keep using the "Lean on it" thing.
    What the heck does that mean.
    Probably reads better if you said, "The good ones win, the rest loose".
    I have never used it before that I know of

I blame the coaches as well, however, why is it so hard for you to admit that we had issues last year with respect to the players and thier capabilities/abilities to execute at a consistent basis every game?
    Look back at what I have said for the last 2 seasons.I have been sying that there has been a problem with execution,especially the line,qb and wr for 2 years. What I pointed out was that the talent Childress started out with had the talent to start out 4-2, but that they were hampered as the season went on by the coaching and after that start, went 2-8 in their final 10 games.

If they started off badly but improved as guys they brought in like Pinkston,McMahon,Hicks etc that knew Childress and and were brought in specifically by him and the FO to play his style of football then I would have a different stance on it. But the players he brought in from his former regime failed miserably and as the season went on, the team regressed.

If players could just trot out onto the field and win games there wouldn't be any need for coaches now would there.
    What the heck does that have to do with what I have been saying ???
    Haven't you been reading anything I wrote? How many times have I said the coaches are responsible for evaluating the talent they have on hand and developing a plan to use them to the best of their abilities? And also if the player is not doing their job, that it is the job of the coaches to provide additional training or to replace them with someone who can do the job.

Face it. Our team wasn't gonna win the SB this year.
    Oh, I agree. And if you look back at my posts, my theme has been that the talent at many positions that we have been bringing in or not changing(WR,QB,DB,TE) are not super bowl quality and that we will not win the SB with that talent. I could care less if TJ can become a starter,If Bevell can call a series of plays correctly or if Childress can outprepare his counterpart once in a while.

What I care about is that the front office has the in depth football knowledge to be able to build a true championship caliber organization that can not only go on a run to win the super bowl, but also be able to deal with coaching changes, loss of players to FA and rule changes that shift the approach you need to take in evaluating talent in order to stay on top and be competing for a title year after year.

I don't see that.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I have never used it before that I know of
    I read it at least 3 times last week.
    Thought it was you.
    My apologies.
    ;D

Look back at what I have said for the last 2 seasons.I have been sying that there has been a problem with execution,especially the line,qb and wr for 2 years. What I pointed out was that the talent Childress started out with had the talent to start out 4-2, but that they were hampered as the season went on by the coaching and after that start, went 2-8 in their final 10 games.

If they started off badly but improved as guys they brought in like Pinkston,McMahon,Hicks etc that knew Childress and and were brought in specifically by him and the FO to play his style of football then I would have a different stance on it. But the players he brought in from his former regime failed miserably and as the season went on, the team regressed.
    You lost me somehow.
    Are you saying the coaches are taking talented players and making them worse just because the team did better early on and worse later on?
    :

If you are then I could almost agree to a point but would look at two other things that might be a result of a indicator like that.

a.
    Our scheme (and we all agree it was pretty basic this year) wasn't to hard to game plan against resulting in losses.
    b.
    We face more talented teams in towards the end of the year.

If that is what you are aluding to then I agree.
    Our experience level (especially at the QB position) pretty much limited what game plans we could run up every weekend so that was probably the biggest issue here moreso than the teams we faced.

What the heck does that have to do with what I have been saying ???
    Haven't you been reading anything I wrote? How many times have I said the coaches are responsible for evaluating the talent they have on hand and developing a plan to use them to the best of their abilities? And also if the player is not doing their job, that it is the job of the coaches to provide additional training or to replace them with someone who can do the job.
    I have been reading your stuff.
    I think it is more of a difference with respect to what the coaches should be doing at this stage of the "Developmental" year.

Should they keep "Forcing" the players to try to fit the system to see if they will work in the system or should they just keep changing the system because the players don't have the experience level to run the system.

I kindof think it is a bit of both.
    I believe the talent was brought in by the front office to fit the system. It is the coaching staffs job to work with the players to make sure they are taught thier roles in that system.

Problem we have here is that we are 2 years into the program and the "Win now" crowd isn't liking it.
    As I've said several times, you can't fix it all at once.
    We are getting close but just quite not there yet in a couple of areas.

Thus my comment.......

Face it. Our team wasn't gonna win the SB this year.
    But I wasn't aluding to the fact that our players arent talented.
    You will be hard pressed to get something out of me like that.

Oh, I agree. And if you look back at my posts, my theme has been that the talent at many positions that we have been bringing in or not changing(WR,QB,DB,TE) are not super bowl quality and that we will not win the SB with that talent. I could care less if TJ can become a starter,If Bevell can call a series of plays correctly or if Childress can outprepare his counterpart once in a while.

What I care about is that the front office has the in depth football knowledge to be able to build a true championship caliber organization that can not only go on a run to win the super bowl, but also be able to deal with coaching changes, loss of players to FA and rule changes that shift the approach you need to take in evaluating talent in order to stay on top and be competing for a title year after year.
    I don't see that.
    This (bolded area) is one of those topics I would love to have about 4 hours and a case of beer to discuss with people, especially my thoughts on why the staff is so hard over with respect to sticking with the scheme and not making drastic changes. Suffice it to say that our front office is in the second year of that process and I believe they can/will achieve just that.

Again, I kindof disgree with you on our talent level.
    I think the guys (in most positions) are quite talented.
    What they need is experience.
    Sure they all got reps this year, and some of them got reps last year but if anyone thinks we are gonna be able to take those kids and turn them around into a SB caliber team in two years then they are just fooling themselves.

Was there progress this year?
    Yes
    Is there room to grow? Yes
    Is the growth requirement as huge next year?
    I don't think so.

We will still have issues related to experience but they will be a heck of alot less and if the front office gets us a crafty DE and a WR then I think our learning curve at our 2 weakest positions will be significantly reduced.

But to believe that (trying to get back on topic) players like our QB aren't talented and didn't improve this year is a bit off the mark if you are looking at it from a bigger picture kindof perspective.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ranger is offline Coach

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

a.
    Injuries. The loss of Rice/Williamson threat signifacantly degraded our perceived deep threat/passing ability for what that was worth.
    We had the same issues last year. Krob, the Pinkston experiment,loss of Burly etc. along with injuries to Tank, Greenway, James... that hurt our pass offense and pass defense.

b.
    Experience.
    Not all of the key players have been with the system, let alone the NFL for two years.

Last year for the first six games they hadn't been in the system long at all, had less talent due to Tice as you say, and still won 4 of 6. It was when they were exposed and the coaches failed to adapt to the changes in the way they were defended that we went on the downhill slide. The same thing happened this year after our Mini-win streak when San Fran exposed us.

c.
    Players/talent/scheme matchups with respect to the other team.
    You always have that. Every team in the league deals with that on a weekly basis. The good ones handle it. the rest lean on it. ;D
    I completely agree with you... with regards to play-calling / adjusting to what teams are doing to us... I hate this... I really would like to bring in another offensive coordinator.. i guess, i'd be willing to see what happens next year, but i'd rather have a billick / cam cameron / somebody with experience calling plays to be our O-coordinator...

it kills me that it takes like 4 games before we make adjustments... there's reason after the 49ers game that we should have been running AP out of spread formations and mixing it up alittle..

instead of just trying to pound it down the throats of people.. unsuccessfully... uterly ridiculous...
    Again with the "Play Calling" and "Adjustments".

Do you really think that our coaching staff is so ignorant that they can't adjust a gameplan to what is happening on the field?
    Comeon we are talking about NFL coaches with a hell of lot of experience at thier craft.

Maybe, just maybe, (I know its hard to grasp this) some of the players were not able to execute those types of changes. Or how about his one, maybe just maybe we just didn't have the right players to run those types of changes?

I find it ridiculous that we keep having this same arguement almost every week.

Was it play calling that had us move the ball at will in the Denver game only to come up with no TD's cause of Fumbles, dropped passes, blown blocks?

If it is so ludicrous to keep running the ball Off Gaurd, Off Tackle when it isn't getting anywere why did the Redskins keep doing it against us?
    Ooohhh, wait, I guess because by the end of the 3rq quarter we couldn't stop them anymore.

Was it play calling in the first Lions game that resulted in all those INT's or was it crappy OL play (no protection for the QB) and poor decision making by the QB that lost it for us.

Seriously, I get just a bit ticked over this same argument.
    If we are gonna have any sort of credibility as a site we need to really take a look at what we are saying.

Blame the coaches when they deserve it, cause they sure do, but gol 'darnit, lets also take a look at what the players were doing.

Sorry for the rant.
    :
    C'mon MARRDRO... i get a little or a lot ticked and having this same argument/disagreement with you my dear friend...

C'mon man.. the playcalling significantly changed the 2nd half of the Denver game.. and if you look at our formations and the playcalling it just wasn't there.. Even you buddy the great magnificent and all knowing CHiller admitted they stuck with the run too long against the skins...

Could it be?? maybe just maybe.. that our O-coordinator is inexperienced at calling plays.. haven't you noticed that with the two guys imploring our game plans and calling plays have a WHOPPING 2 years experience between the two of them at callling plays... and that coming in the last two years...

Don't blame the players on predictable boring snooze watching playcalling.. i agree with you alot of things go into running an effective offense, which include picking up blocks etc etc... but anyone could see, in those last 4 games, that our playcalling was adequate at best and when teams did the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over against us.. we did the same thing against them over and over and over and over and over... it was ridiculous...

My brother was watching the game, who by the way, knows alot more about football than you and I as he was once in the Bengals camp and allocated through them to NFL Europe (didn't make it over there due to injury) and played at Duquesne with very good stats by the way.. (plus, one of his best friends is Leigh bodden - CB for the browns where they talk football all the time) and as we watched the skins game together he just simply said, dude what's up with your playcalling..??? it's killing yall.....

Now, I'm not sure what more proof you would need than that... if he can look at one game and basically say what alot of us have been saying for a longtime...

So, while i agree with you on some points as far as picking up blocks execution.. and all that... you gotta take the blinders off, and see what kind of plays they are calling or formations they are running etc and try and see it through just sheer competence wise what they are doing...

Sh!TT i don't know more about politics than the president.. but i sure as hell know we shouldn't have went into iRAQ after 911 looking for no WOMD!!!!! and will question his judgement all day on it.. (sorry to bring politics in this)

I sure as hell know Isiah Thomas has no freakin clue what he's doing up in NY and why he hasn't been fired yet.!!!!

SO while, your defending the coaches on playcalling and scheming... and while they may know more than what we do... that doesn't mean WE as fans don't have the right to question what they are doing or simply say they are doing the same thing over and over again and that's why we're loosing bc we're predictable..... C'mon... don't be a hyprocrit and question the front office and all the other moves we made.. but then sit there and say we shouldn't question the playcalling bc they know more than we do bc they have more experience... thats a bunch of crap and you know your my dogg on this here site...

I mean... that's like blaming the dumb jiggly butt call in the saint game when Peyton called the reverse and bush had a bad toss, dude fumbles and they loose the game.. arguably costing them a shot at the playoffs and the division... then blaming that on the players.. NO!!! the call should have never been made... and they win...!!

Sorry for the rant.... lol... ahh i feel better now.. I need a cigarette.... lol..j/k

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910