Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Vikings "inside-out" stategy proves itself

    The Vikings strategy of building the team from the inside out (i.e. building the lines first, and then the "outside" (receivers, etc.) is proving itself. If you look at the teams that win in the NFL, they obviously have strong lines (Colts, Bears, Seahawks, Chargers, etc.). This, I think, is Childress's thinking. There are teams (Arizona, etc.) that have concentrated on the "outside-in", and it doesn't work too well. If you build the "skill positions" (receiver, running back, etc.) first and then hope that the line blocks for them, you end up with Arizona.

    Specifically: teams that are the best on the line go to the Super Bowl (Steelers two years ago, Seahawks; Colts and Bears last year). Despite all the talk of "west coast offense" and all the attention paid to flashy receivers, the line of scrimmage is still where games are won and lost.

    Minnesota has shown that spending big on the offensive line results in good protection and running lanes, and spending big on the defensive line results in a great Cover 2 defense.

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings "inside-out" stategy proves itself

    While I agree that we are approaching building the team in the correct way... let's not get too ahead of ourselves.
    Our Defense destroyed Atlanta on Sunday - but that may not be the best measure of greatness.
    How we handle the Lions offense this week will be more telling.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: Vikings "inside-out" stategy proves itself

    I agree. I did like the way our defense changed things up and blitzed. I think the first INT TD came off an all-out blitz (multiple guys thrown at the QB). I like that.

    If you watched the Baltimore game on Monday night, supposedly, their defense is the best in the NFL. They looked static and listless compared to our defense. Of course, Carson Palmer and that offense is much better than Harrington. But still...


  4. #4
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings "inside-out" stategy proves itself

    You also have to look at the fact that the Vikings have had some of the best lines in the league often in the last 20 years and it has not led to superbowls.

    The lines 1989 for example with Lowdermilk,Zimmerman,Kalis,McDaniel and Habib as well as the 1998 line with Christy,Steussie,Stringer,Dixon,Randall McDaniel were very solid and to a big degree during that time span they had a solid line most years with pro bowl talent. The line went down hill when our line coach,who excelled at that job,was promoted to head coach and didn't find an equal replacement.

    I do think that the line is becoming more disciplined,though and that is one thing that was always an achilles heel with our line( Like Steussie)

  5. #5
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings "inside-out" stategy proves itself

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I agree. I did like the way our defense changed things up and blitzed. I think the first INT TD came off an all-out blitz (multiple guys thrown at the QB). I like that.

    If you watched the Baltimore game on Monday night, supposedly, their defense is the best in the NFL. They looked static and listless compared to our defense. Of course, Carson Palmer and that offense is much better than Harrington. But still...

    There was a blitz on KWill's INT.
    But even he admits that the reason he was in position to make the pick was because Harrington caught him off guard with a hurry up snap. ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #6
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,819

    Re: Vikings "inside-out" stategy proves itself

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I agree. I did like the way our defense changed things up and blitzed. I think the first INT TD came off an all-out blitz (multiple guys thrown at the QB). I like that.

    If you watched the Baltimore game on Monday night, supposedly, their defense is the best in the NFL. They looked static and listless compared to our defense. Of course, Carson Palmer and that offense is much better than Harrington. But still...

    Better to be lucky than good I guess.
    Taking advantage of the opportunity is what matters, right Mr. Smoot.

    There was a blitz on KWill's INT.
    But even he admits that the reason he was in position to make the pick was because Harrington caught him off guard with a hurry up snap. ;D

Similar Threads

  1. Inside Vikings camp
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
  2. Once again, the Vikings FO proves that they know more than me...
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
  3. Inside the Vikings
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 07:20 AM
  4. Minnesota Vikings - Inside Slant
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 06:35 AM
  5. Vikings Inside Slant
    By Slade in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 09:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •