View Poll Results: Which receiver do you want the Vikings to sign this off-season?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wes Welker

1 5.00%
  • Greg Jennings

6 30.00%
  • Dwayne Bowe

5 25.00%
  • Mike Wallace

5 25.00%
  • Brian Hartline

1 5.00%
  • None of the listed

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Post Vikings Hunt For Wide Receiver

The Minnesota Vikings needs to upgrade their roster of wide receivers. Any fan of the Vikings will agree on that. The fans are thankful to have Percy Harvin. I strongly believe that there does not exist a team with a more exciting and explosive duo as Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin. Harvin is like a more versatile mini-AD. He's a unique player in the NFL and when healthy he can be in MVP-discussions. Not only because he's Vikings number one receiver, but also the team's second best running back and a one of the league's most dangerous returners as well.

The issue is: there's Harvin... then there's the rest.

The drop of in the level of talent is too great to compete with the top passing offenses in the NFL. Plus, Harvin is not a natural outside receiver. The Vikes have excellent depth at the slot position with one of the best in the game, Percy Harvin, and a young newcomer in Jarious Wright. With Percy Harvin healthy, the Vikings can compete with the best, but with Harvin out, Ponder can not to the job by himself (Wright is good, but he's no Percy Harvin) and Ponder needs good receivers around him if we are going to make another run at the Super Bowl.

So... without further ado, I compiled a list of the top 5 wide receivers this off-season that will become Unrestricted Free Agents in order of who I think will contribute the most for the Vikings. Funny thing: flip this list and you will get the best players out of the five (except from Bowe, he is right after Jennings) but here I will focus on who fits the team the most, that also includes the youth profile the Vikings have.

5. Wes Welker - Best slot receiver... maybe ever. Problem is: we need someone on the outside and a highly accurate QB to take full advantage of him. 31 years old.

4. Greg Jennings - I've always liked him (for a Packer) and he's been one of the best in the game for a long time. He doesn't have any big flaws. 29 years old.

3. Brian Hartline - Eclipsed 1000 yards this season. Has good size and speed and is just 26 years old.

2. Mike Wallace - A true deep threat who is known as one of the fastest players in the league, and like Hartline, just 26 years old.

1. Dawyne Bowe - A playmaker. Got excellent size and is one of the best outside receivers, but not one of the most reliable guys with most questionable character out of the top 5. Still in his prime at 28 years old.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Hartline and Wallace are the 2 guys I'm leaning toward, Hartline seems to have a good relationship with the fins and Tannehill and the fins have lots of capspace which leads me to think he'll stay there and get his payday. Steelers are 10 mill over so there is a better chance of getting him especially if he hasn't seen much of our game tapes from last season other than AD big runs.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Hartline and Wallace are the 2 guys I'm leaning toward, Hartline seems to have a good relationship with the fins and Tannehill and the fins have lots of capspace which leads me to think he'll stay there and get his payday. Steelers are 10 mill over so there is a better chance of getting him especially if he hasn't seen much of our game tapes from last season other than AD big runs.
    Say no to hartline...
    Jennings is our target

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Say no to hartline...
    Jennings is our target
    I think with the 40 mill in cap space the fins have and Joe Philbin they'll go after both Hartline and Jennings

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Jennings would be my first choice.

My only concern with that is who he's had throwing to him. Great QB's make good receivers look very good. Big downgrade here.

Welker is the only one from that list that doesn't interest me at all.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Jennings is my pick.

He would be perfect for what we need. He doesn't fit any one specific mold, he's a guy who can play all the positions on the field. Line him up wide, and he can play big like a guy who's 6'2". PLay him inside, and he's a more than acceptable slot. PLay him as split End, let him take on the jam, play him as flanker, it doesn't matter. He can do it all. He's fast, he's got moves in the open field, most importantly, he's got hands. Yes, Having Favre and Rodgers helps, but I've seen Jennings bail Rodgers and Favre out of more bad throws than anybody. Yes, he's no CJ1.9K, but nobody expects that. If a balls a bit inaccurate, Jennings can make a play on it, despite being a relatively little guy. He probably runs the best post-corner in the game.

Out of everybody else, look at the options:

Bowe. Has been inconsistent, partially due to QB play, but partially due to conentration and effort
    Wallace: One trick pony. Think Berrian 2.0. Fastest guy in the league, but we don't have a guy who can a) throw it so far only one guy can possibly chase it, or b) hit him perfectly in stride so that he can use his speed for the yac. He would be wasted here.
    Hartline: If I said his name last year, you'd say "WHO!?" NO thanks. We need a proven threat, not a chance player.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings Hunt For Wide Receiver

I would rather draft a few guys than overspend to get Jennings who is still like the 4th best WR on the Packers roster.

Think about it. They have 3 guys better than him and we are asking to make him out top guy.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I would rather draft a few guys than overspend to get Jennings who is still like the 4th best WR on the Packers roster.

Think about it. They have 3 guys better than him and we are asking to make him out top guy.
    He actually isn't. I will give you 2nd...but if you think he isn't better than Cobb and Jones... you're not watching closely enough.

The reason they might not resign him is because they can't keep everyone.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings Hunt For Wide Receiver

Yes, Cobb and Jones are better than him. Did you watch the game last night where he went Simpson on that pass from ARod?

No way would it be smart to overpay to bring him in. I think the team has overspent enough on WRs that don't pan out over the last 8 years.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    We need more than 1, but the poll allows you to pick only one.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast