Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Vikings' hot corner

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    Yes, it got really bad last year when Winfield went down and the rookie McCauly game in.
    I think McCauly played well for a rookie, but the young CB's were left hanging with minimal QB pressure.

Sacks would be nice but at least get a few extra hurries and knock down to give the CB's a chance to make plays.

McCauley was also assigned to cover Santana Moss... thanks coaching genius.
    Would you have rather had him try it last year, get the reps/learn from it or have to go through that learning process this year?

Long story short, I like that the staff let the kids try last year.
    They will be better for it.

By the way, we sure went on a nice winning streak last year with Gordon and McCauley filling in.
    ;D
    Thats OK and all, but we were still in the hunt for the playoffs at the time, and McCauley got burned repeatedly by Moss.
    I guess the next natural question is who were they gonna put in there.

Kindof a bad thing when you elect to rebuild a roster via the draft and choose to populate the roster with rookies instead of proven vets. When the starter goes down, the rookie has to step up.

By the way, I bet because McCauley got schooled by the Vet in the Deadskin game, it won't happen as much this year when it really counts.
    Seriously, do you really think this staff expected to win the SB last year?
    They should have at least put Griffin on Moss... IMHO.

No, I don't think they expected the SB... But I hope they would at least try to make an honest run to get into the playoffs.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Good article, I think having a better pass rush, and a safety who can cover more ground in coverage, will greatly help all our corners. Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Marcus McCauly, Charles Gordon, Benny Sapp, Dee McAnn, and a couple young guys that probably won't make the 53 man roster will benefit from the push up front by our front four and Jared Allen. Not having to blitz to get pressure on the passer will also help on the underneath stuff that hurt us last year.
    Agreed, once again our players getting bashed based on stats vs. their effectiveness.
    Our corners continually get underrated.
    We play a cover 2 scheme, not a man to man system.
    The objective is to keep the WR in front of
    you and minimize the YAC.
    That's not to say we want teams to dink and dunk on us consistemtly throughout a game, just that we are designed to give up those plays more than the medium and deep routes.
    Thus, many pass completions against us, but yards per catch and points allowed should be fairly low.
    Add to that the best run defense in the game and wala teams our making a lot of short throws against us.

Add to that a lack of consistemt pass rush from our front 4, requiring us to send LB's for pressure and it is nearly impossible to expect our corners to break up 5 yard passes in space.
    To add to Marr's last post, if JA's addition allows us to generate consistent pressure by the front four, then the LB's can slip back, play their zones, and take away the angles from the QB's.
    Also, if you don't constantly put the CB's on an island to make sure the WR's gains are minimized, they can be more aggressive on occassion.

If JA has the impact we all hope he does, I would expect to see more picks and pass break ups from our D.
    5-6 INT's from a guy like Greenway is not out of the question.
    I was hoping for that from him last year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    [quote author=gagarr link=topic=46219.msg801898#msg801898 date=1215791169]
    Yes, it got really bad last year when Winfield went down and the rookie McCauly game in.
    I think McCauly played well for a rookie, but the young CB's were left hanging with minimal QB pressure.

Sacks would be nice but at least get a few extra hurries and knock down to give the CB's a chance to make plays.

McCauley was also assigned to cover Santana Moss... thanks coaching genius.
    Would you have rather had him try it last year, get the reps/learn from it or have to go through that learning process this year?

Long story short, I like that the staff let the kids try last year.
    They will be better for it.

By the way, we sure went on a nice winning streak last year with Gordon and McCauley filling in.

;D
    Thats OK and all, but we were still in the hunt for the playoffs at the time, and McCauley got burned repeatedly by Moss.
    I guess the next natural question is who were they gonna put in there.

Kindof a bad thing when you elect to rebuild a roster via the draft and choose to populate the roster with rookies instead of proven vets. When the starter goes down, the rookie has to step up.

By the way, I bet because McCauley got schooled by the Vet in the Deadskin game, it won't happen as much this year when it really counts.
    Seriously, do you really think this staff expected to win the SB last year?
    They should have at least put Griffin on Moss... IMHO.

No, I don't think they expected the SB... But I hope they would at least try to make an honest run to get into the playoffs.
    [/quote]
    I hear ya my friend, but you do remember a article that someone posted on here where the Chiller says they didn't want to roll guys based matchups.

Again, I put that all back to the big picture stuff of developing them instead of protecting them.

By the way, we were competitive in most games last year weren't we?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Our guys get alot of flack in the secondary but what I did like was our ability to prevent teams from scoring points. It wasn't always great but several of the TD's were just inches away from being a batted pass. Hopefully a guy like Grifin can start making plays on those passess. I really like his future and see star potential but he is playing a very tuff position and he must forget quickly in order to move on.

In a sense I still can't believe we got JA, and after reading his sack ratio I'm getting even more exited for teams that think they want to pass on us. With JA and Ray Ray on the ends I expect to keep our LB's in alot more coverage resulting in more coverage sacks.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Our guys get alot of flack in the secondary but what I did like was our ability to prevent teams from scoring points. It wasn't always great but several of the TD's were just inches away from being a batted pass. Hopefully a guy like Grifin can start making plays on those passess. I really like his future and see star potential but he is playing a very tuff position and he must forget quickly in order to move on.

In a sense I still can't believe we got JA, and after reading his sack ratio I'm getting even more exited for teams that think they want to pass on us. With JA and Ray Ray on the ends I expect to keep our LB's in alot more coverage resulting in more coverage sacks.
    I honestly think that based on what i saw last year.. we should play more man coverage... I think all of our corners are physical and are actually better in man coverage...

Anyone notice the last few games of the year after winny went down, we played a little more man and the pass defense was better....
    i like the idea of playing man more.. if anything to switch it up a little more!!!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

I honestly think that based on what i saw last year.. we should play more man coverage... I think all of our corners are physical and are actually better in man coverage...

Anyone notice the last few games of the year after winny went down, we played a little more man and the pass defense was better....
    i like the idea of playing man more.. if anything to switch it up a little more!!!
    Well I think what we really want to do is stick with the Cover 2 as long as we are effective with the 4 man rush upfront. I like our Corners in man but I really like them in a Cover 2 because both our guys are very physical and great tacklers, they fit the scheme very well and IMO Grifin plays a much better game when he's in the zone defense. I do believe both are capable of man but I like the idea of allowing them to play with game if front of them with great safety help over the top.

Sharper is getting up there but is a adequate starter this season along with Birk. I like the way Tyrell J fits our defense schematicly(Cover2). Both he and Maudue are more like CB's at Safety. There both fluid in the hips, athletic and very fast. Essentually this gives us 4 CB talents in the secondary but all four at the same time are very physical and great tacklers. Having such talent in the secondary will make for more incompletions on the sidelines with the new rule change. Our guys will cover lots of ground in hurry and be able to reach WR and force him from a completion.

When Winny went down we got torched, but since our team was playing so well as a collective group we pulled out wins.

All clues seem to be leading toward the continuation of the Cover 2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12