Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' hot corner

[size=13pt]Minnesota’s hot corner[/size]

Friday, July 11, 2008

Posted by Jonathan Mohr
    realfootball365.com

You didn't have to spend time breaking down game film with Ron Jaworski last season to find the Achilles heel of the Minnesota Vikings' defense....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings' hot corner

Good article, I think having a better pass rush, and a safety who can cover more ground in coverage, will greatly help all our corners. Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Marcus McCauly, Charles Gordon, Benny Sapp, Dee McAnn, and a couple young guys that probably won't make the 53 man roster will benefit from the push up front by our front four and Jared Allen. Not having to blitz to get pressure on the passer will also help on the underneath stuff that hurt us last year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks for the read my friend.

Only thing I want to bring up is that Whinny and Griff will still give up alot of completions.
    Its what they do after the completion that needs to be watched.

In the cover 2 scheme, they are gonna play off and give up the quick pass (and this is were all the tackles come from) and tackle the guys as soon as he catches it for minimal gain.
    Additionally, they will have to work with the S to prevent the deep quick strike forcing teams to move the ball the length of the field.

Only thing that will change in all of this is the impact that JA will now bring to the table.
    He, along with the other 3 DL will need to make sure they can get pressure on the QB consistently so that our LB's can drop into those lanes that allow the QB to throw those quick throws.

If, (Big IF), the DL can do thier jobs, I look to see our Sam/Will LB'rs to get alot of tips/INT's this year as QB's make bad decisions with those short/underneath throws.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Yes, it got really bad last year when Winfield went down and the rookie McCauly game in.
    I think McCauly played well for a rookie, but the young CB's were left hanging with minimal QB pressure.

Sacks would be nice but at least get a few extra hurries and knock down to give the CB's a chance to make plays.

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"gagarr" wrote:
    Yes, it got really bad last year when Winfield went down and the rookie McCauly game in.
    I think McCauly played well for a rookie, but the young CB's were left hanging with minimal QB pressure.

Sacks would be nice but at least get a few extra hurries and knock down to give the CB's a chance to make plays.

McCauley was also assigned to cover Santana Moss... thanks coaching genius.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

Did Brad Childress ass-rape you at summer camp or something, dude?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"C" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

Would you have rather had him try it last year, get the reps/learn from it or have to go through that learning process this year?

Long story short, I like that the staff let the kids try last year.
    They will be better for it.

By the way, we sure went on a nice winning streak last year with Gordon and McCauley filling in.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Thanks for the article Singer. I think the six games Winfield missed hurt us even though we won some of those games he was gone. Let's hope Griffin can preform a little better this season. He is developing into a strong tackler. I hope McCauley will step up it and be the corner he was his Junior year of college. (PS) Scroll all the way down the page and read the 1 comment left by a Redskins fan. He obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.
    ;D

Troy Smith knows... Your Quaterback will know too.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

Would you have rather had him try it last year, get the reps/learn from it or have to go through that learning process this year?

By the way, we sure went on a nice winning streak last year with Gordon and McCauley filling in.
    ;D
    Thats OK and all, but we were still in the hunt for the playoffs at the time, and McCauley got burned repeatedly by Moss.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

;D
    Thats OK and all, but we were still in the hunt for the playoffs at the time, and McCauley got burned repeatedly by Moss.
    I guess the next natural question is who were they gonna put in there.

Kindof a bad thing when you elect to rebuild a roster via the draft and choose to populate the roster with rookies instead of proven vets. When the starter goes down, the rookie has to step up.

By the way, I bet because McCauley got schooled by the Vet in the Deadskin game, it won't happen as much this year when it really counts.
    Seriously, do you really think this staff expected to win the SB last year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast