singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings hope Rhett Ellison is the next Jim Kleinsasser

Vikings hoping Rhett Ellison is the next Jim Kleinsasser

Chip Scoggins: Vikings hoping Rhett Ellison is the next Jim Kleinsasser | mlive.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Got some big boots to fill, but hopefully he can do it. He seems like a sharp kid, hopefully he's got the work ethic and selfless attitude that made 'Sauce such a great player for so long for us. That, and being shaped like a cinder block helped.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    The next Tom Rathman would be better.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I don't think for one second they want this cat to replace Sauce. I think this cat is being brought in to make teams struggle with a defensive package when he is in there. Teams did not struggle when they saw Sauce in there. They just loaded up for run.

My guess, you will see this kid make it on the roster in the FB slot and when he is on the field you will see at least 2 other TE's on the field with him and all of them will be considered as weapons and blockers, thus confusing the D-coords on what play call (a pass or a run) will come in with them in there.
    Last edited by Marrdro; 05-12-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I liked Kleinsasser a lot. He was one of my very favorite players on the team because he kept his nose clean, did what they asked him to, and being from next door he was cut from the same cloth many of us were in that he enjoyed the outdoors and the area.

That being said I just don't feel he was that much of a factor on the team for some time now. He might have been a decent blocker on some plays but i just feel the coaches didn't have him on the field enough to really have much overall impact on the team to where we would be looking for a player to specifically take his place.

Now, that being said, I do feel he actually could have been a much bigger force than he was if the staff would have utilized him properly. He could have finished his career as a devastating FB making holes for Peterson and helping to block as a FB so the OL didn't look as bad as it did when Peterson was trying to do it and failing badly.

With the holes on the team that we have it seems to me the FO has become a bit too obsessed with the TE position. I understand other teams are getting production from their TE's but they also have coaches that can make it work. Not sure that is the case here.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I don't think for one second they want this cat to replace Sauce. I think this cat is being brought in to make teams struggle with a defensive package when he is in there. Teams did not struggle when they saw Sauce in there. They just loaded up for run.

My guess, you will see this kid make it on the roster in the FB slot and when he is on the field you will see at least 2 other TE's on the field with him and all of them will be considered as weapons and blockers, thus confusing the D-coords on what play call (a pass or a run) will come in with them in there.
    Which means teams will still set up defenses putting 8-9 in the box. Run or dump passes to our TE's, the defenders are right there preventing or limiting the pass or containing AD.

How often have you seen our TE's get separation quickly enough that Ponder can hit them before he's forced out of the pocket?
    Last edited by singersp; 05-14-2012 at 07:11 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I liked Kleinsasser a lot. He was one of my very favorite players on the team because he kept his nose clean, did what they asked him to, and being from next door he was cut from the same cloth many of us were in that he enjoyed the outdoors and the area.

That being said I just don't feel he was that much of a factor on the team for some time now. He might have been a decent blocker on some plays but i just feel the coaches didn't have him on the field enough to really have much overall impact on the team to where we would be looking for a player to specifically take his place.

Now, that being said, I do feel he actually could have been a much bigger force than he was if the staff would have utilized him properly. He could have finished his career as a devastating FB making holes for Peterson and helping to block as a FB so the OL didn't look as bad as it did when Peterson was trying to do it and failing badly.

With the holes on the team that we have it seems to me the FO has become a bit too obsessed with the TE position. I understand other teams are getting production from their TE's but they also have coaches that can make it work. Not sure that is the case here.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said there PF
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Rhett Ellison - Not Kleinsasser

Rhett Ellison will not be the next Kleinsasser, but I don't mean that in a necessarily bad way.

Ellison will never be as good of a blocker as Kleinsasser was. That is not a diss to Ellison because he is not a bad blocker, but Kleinsasser was a great one. He could even replace on of the guys on the offensive o-line and do a better job. Yes, that's how good he was. He was the best blocking tight end in the NFL for many years.

Okay, that was the negative, but the positive is that I already think Ellison is a much better pass-catcher than Kleinsasser ever was. I think most people underestimate Ellison's receiver abilities.

Ellison has great hands and is fearless going across the field. He doesn't have blazing top-end speed, but instead he has surprisingly quick first-steps which in my opinion is more important if we are going to use him as a Jason Witten-type of a player.

I think he should easily make the team, but right now we are stacked with talent at the tight end-position. We have the young and extremely talented and last year's draft highest ranked TE, Kyle Rudolph, who will most certainly stay. We have Shiancoe who is a proven veteran and one of the premier tight ends in the league. And we have John Karlson who is another talented player who was the second-ranked TE in the 2008 Draft.

I doubt we'll keep all four, but if Ellison can be a serviceable fullback then I think we will keep all of them.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I agree with HEY. Sauce was a hell of a blocker, he put Demarcus Ware on his ass during one game in '09 (either 08 or 09). I jumped out of my chair.

He was my favorite Viking. Gonna miss him.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I think he should easily make the team, but right now we are stacked with talent at the tight end-position. We have the young and extremely talented and last year's draft highest ranked TE, Kyle Rudolph, who will most certainly stay. We have Shiancoe who is a proven veteran and one of the premier tight ends in the league. And we have John Karlson who is another talented player who was the second-ranked TE in the 2008 Draft.
    FYI, Shaincoe is gone....