Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings in holding pattern on player extensions

The Vikings have several key free agents after this season, including linebacker Chad Greenway and wide receiver Sidney Rice. Running back Adrian Peterson will be looking for a hefty extension after the 2011 season, as will defensive tackle Kevin Williams.

Though the Vikings are proactive with their players and feel strongly about keeping them, vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski said, the uncertainty of the Collective Bargaining Agreement has prompted the team to hold off on extensions as the NFL faces a potential lockout.
    Vikings brass in holding pattern on player extensions

Hey Bryzcheapski........Other teams figured it out. Why the hell can't you?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Vikings in holding pattern on player extensions

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1082188
    The Vikings have several key free agents after this season, including linebacker Chad Greenway and wide receiver Sidney Rice. Running back Adrian Peterson will be looking for a hefty extension after the 2011 season, as will defensive tackle Kevin Williams.

Though the Vikings are proactive with their players and feel strongly about keeping them, vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski said, the uncertainty of the Collective Bargaining Agreement has prompted the team to hold off on extensions as the NFL faces a potential lockout.

They also dont know if they will have a place to play after 2011 so they are probably trying to go on the cheap until they know if they will be in Minnesota.

My logic being the added revenue by keeping payroll low as a sale is negotiated. I am hopeful something gets worked out but this is what I see.

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Other teams have solid futures BEYOND next year, Marr.

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1082251

They also dont know if they will have a place to play after 2011 so they are probably trying to go on the cheap until they know if they will be in Minnesota.

My logic being the added revenue by keeping payroll low as a sale is negotiated. I am hopeful something gets worked out but this is what I see.
    I can track with that line of logic.

Typical Marrdro, always overthinking things I suppose, however, I just can't help but think that things could have been different if a few of our players would have gone into this year with contracts.

I am still 100% El Syd would have had the surgery and played this year if he would have been given something.

I think it should be pretty clear to all what he can do with respect to covering up a QB's mistakes.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1082253

Typical Marrdro, always overthinking things I suppose, however, I just can't help but think that things could have been different if a few of our players would have gone into this year with contracts.

I am still 100% El Syd would have had the surgery and played this year if he would have been given something.

I think it should be pretty clear to all what he can do with respect to covering up a QB's mistakes.
    Agreed, especially when you throw an extra $3M at your QB who doesnt have to go to camp. I do believe that we had to do whatever it took to get the Noodle back this year, and it was a detriment to the team, as to how it was handled.

They were short sighted in what leverage they thought they had on Rice. I get it if we are setting a precedent to not deal with a player so soon after their initial contract. I also think that you have to pay for big time production or if a player outplays the terms of their deal, and Sydney deserved it.

We really just need to decide who the core of the team will be moving forward and allocate funds appropriately. We have a good mix of Vets, and young talent gotta keep 'em together.

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1082258
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1082253

Agreed, especially when you throw an extra $3M at your QB who doesnt have to go to camp. I do believe that we had to do whatever it took to get the Noodle back this year, and it was a detriment to the team, as to how it was handled.

They were short sighted in what leverage they thought they had on Rice. I get it if we are setting a precedent to not deal with a player so soon after their initial contract. I also think that you have to pay for big time production or if a player outplays the terms of their deal, and Sydney deserved it.

We really just need to decide who the core of the team will be moving forward and allocate funds appropriately. We have a good mix of Vets, and young talent gotta keep 'em together.
    Good stuff.

I think we have a big core group of players. One would think you have to really think hard about inking everyone still on the squad from the 2006 and 2007 draft classes.

Chad Greenway - Should have been inked going into this year.

Cedric Griffin - Already done

Ryan Cook - Should have been inked going into this year. He might be hard as he will probably garner starter money from someone.

Tarvaris Jackson - I am pretty high on TJ, not so much that he is to be considered a "Franchise Guy" but more along the lines that I think he might be a hot commodity on the market this year. When I look around the league, there just isn't much else to be had and there sure are alot of teams that will be looking. Heck, if you want a sample of what he will be worth just look at what the Raiders and Seahawks did with Campbell and Whitehurst.

Ray Edwards - I'm leary on Ray. I still say he is better suited to loose a few pounds and play at RDE. Maybe Everson can step in, but even then we would have to see him learn on the field and makes mistakes. I would've signed him and hoped Everson gave you enough security/depth along with Rob.

Adrian Peterson - Should have been done going into this year.

Sidney Rice - Should have been done going into this year.

Brian Robison - I like him, but I think Everson gives you the same effect. I would offer him something going into next year.

That doesn't even get into the Vets coming off thier 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

These are 4 guys we can't afford not to re-sign. Fuck the CBA, sign one or two of them as a sign of good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1082284
    These are 4 guys we can't afford not to re-sign. Fuck the CBA, sign one or two of them as a sign of good faith.
    Thats what I'm saying.

Still say that one of our biggest problems going into this year was the lack of effort in this.

Kindof funny that we were talking about players playing just to protect themselves the other day and the night before last (I think) the guys on NFLN were talking about the same thing.

We need to get a few of them to log on and play with us. Can you imagine what it would like to go back and forth with Jammie on something? B)

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Vikings management has been showing a "penny-wise, pound foolish" style.

That should change.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1082335
    Vikings management has been showing a "penny-wise, pound foolish" style.

That should change.

Why should it change? Wilf and Co. are playing it smart (for them). Look at it this way:

They're very likely going to end up moving/selling the team, because the stadium issue STILL isn't getting resolved, to my knowledge. Why on God's Green Earth would they want to shell out MORE money for players that won't be on their payroll after next season...and with the lockout looming, our guys aren't likely to even play that!

PLEASE...if there's any info out there that you've seen/heard about, and it shows a SIGNIFICANT possibility that the Vikings are STAYING in Minnesota, let me know!

Otherwise, this debate is about as pointless as it gets!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast