singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings history is full of curious QB swaps

Vikings history is full of curious QB swaps

Souhan: Vikings history is full of curious QB swaps | Star Tribune

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach
    This is a well written article. If only we could find another Tommy Kramer.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by umaguma1979 View Post
    This is a well written article. If only we could find another Tommy Kramer.
    While Kramer would be worlds better than anything we have now, he threw exactly as many interceptions as TDs in his career...the very definition of mediocrity. He could be red hot, or frustratingly ice cold. People on these various forums would be calling for his head after another 7-9 season.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    In 1992, Gannon was the unquestioned starter and was leading the Vikings to the playoffs. In Week 11, he struggled, and in Week 12, while banged up, he was replaced by Sean Salisbury, a journeyman.

My best sources in the organization at that time told me Gannon was being given a rest so he would be ready for the playoffs. Then Salisbury won a couple of games, and his best friend in the locker room, fellow USC alum Jack Del Rio, began lobbying for Salisbury to keep the job, and so when the Vikings reached the playoffs, Salisbury started over a healthy Gannon.

The Vikings lost 24-7 to a battered Washington team. Gannon left. In 1999, he went to the Pro Bowl in his first year in Oakland. In 2002, he was named NFL MVP. Salisbury would start eight more NFL games and be out of the league by 1997.
    Gannon was traded to Washington and played four years in Kansas City before going to Oakland. In Oakland, Gannon was a four time Pro Bowl quarterback, twice All Pro, and one time NFL MVP. Credit Jon Gruden for part of that, as an offensive coordinator or head coach can make or break a quarterback.

PondersPecker is offline Waterboy
    Like when we switched to Spergon Wynn

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepat View Post
    While Kramer would be worlds better than anything we have now, he threw exactly as many interceptions as TDs in his career...the very definition of mediocrity. He could be red hot, or frustratingly ice cold. People on these various forums would be calling for his head after another 7-9 season.

He actually has 1 more TD than INT, however Kramer was by no means a great QB. It's just a sad state of QB history for the VIkings when Kramer ranks up there for us. 5 3000 yard seasons, and a 72 QBR. Nothing special.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Minnesota: where old, washed-up quarterbacks go to die. Don't forget dalliances with Manning and McMahon as well. I'll take Joe Kapp or Tarkenton anyday- they were tough guys who knew how to lead a team.