Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' hiring practices put in a questionable light

[size=18px]Foley's inflated résumé puts the Vikings' hiring practices in a questionable light[/size]

The new vice president of player personnel was hired over two candidates with long service to the franchise whose applications needed no padding.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 23, 2006 – 9:22 PM

Fran (if that's his name) Foley (assuming that's not an alias) raised a number of troubling questions by pumping helium into his résumé.
    Foley, the Vikings' vice president of player personnel, described his coaching jobs at three schools -- Colgate, the Citadel and Rutgers -- as full-time assistant coaching jobs, when in fact he was a graduate assistant.

Also, a Rutgers spokeswoman told Star Tribune reporter Kevin Seifert that Foley was an administrative assistant from 1987 to 1990 -- not director of football operations, as the biography stated.

Earlier in the week, Seifert reported that Foley said a clerical error resulted in an overstatement of his college playing career at Framingham State College.

Foley played two seasons, in 1980 and '81, rather than four.

When asked whether he had attempted to embellish his career, Foley told Seifert, "I did nothing to misrepresent what I've done."

That is another lie. He did everything to misrepresent what he had done.

One clerical error, one oversight, one mistake, even one small embellishment might be understandable. For Foley to inflate his importance even at insignificant junctures of his career should be worrisome to the Vikings brass.

What does this mean?

• Foley was chosen over internal candidates Scott Studwell and Jeff Robinson. As far as we know, Studwell and Robinson are, if nothing else, competent known quantities with many years of service to their franchise on their uninflated résumés.

The Vikings bypassed Studwell and Robinson to hire Foley. That gives us question to the hiring practices and savvy of the Vikings' braintrust.

• Foley has ascended to a position in which he will be responsible for hiring and firing the people charged with assessing the talent and character of the players who will comprise future Minnesota Vikings teams.

In short, Foley will be responsible for judging others' résumés. Is he the right person for that job?

• Last fall, when the boat scandal broke, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf held a news conference at which he promised to hold Vikings employees, including players, to a high standard of conduct.

Thus far, the only evidence we have that Wilf will make good on his word was the trade of quarterback Daunte Culpepper and the hiring of a coach who promises to be a disciplinarian.

Here's the rub, though: The Culpepper trade was more a result of Culpepper's personality conflict with Brad Childress than the perception of past misbehavior, and we won't know if Childress truly is a disciplinarian until we see how he handles future indiscretions.

If Wilf and Childress, for example, welcome back Onterrio Smith from his drug suspension, then all the tough talk will have been just that, and we can slot the Vikings into the same category as virtually every other team in the NFL.

That is, they will try to win with the best available talent.

Which is fine. If that's the case, though, they shouldn't pretend they are any different from the Oakland Raiders.

Foley printed lies on his résumé. He may have considered them little white lies, but the result was a document that painted a picture of a more grandiose career than he had actually built.

Maybe he's a swell guy who will do a great job, but I'm surprised an organization that is trying to portray itself as pristine and savvy would do so little research on a major hire, or would offer so little public reaction to the Star Tribune's stories on Foley.

This week, Foley is the face of the Vikings, as the NFL draft approaches.

Call his faulty résumé unimportant if you like, but I'll need a few years of trustworthy behavior from him before I'll believe anything I hear from Fran? Foley?, Football? Executive?

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. • [email protected]

Foley's inflated résumé puts the Vikings' hiring practices in a questionable light

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' hiring practices put in a questionable light

While I have to agree that his resume' was "padded." I don't think he was hired because of his resume but because of his work with the Chargers.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Man, news coming out of Winter Park really must be slow if this is the best then can come up with. :grin: Talk about grasping at straws... trying to incite a little distrust...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

I really dislike Souhan. He rarely has any positive spin when it comes to the Vikings. Although he does have some good articles once in a while.

I guess even a blind squirrel will find an acorn sometimes...
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think Souhan was just happy to have something to write about. Ever since the TOA came into being, he's been bitching a blue streak about not having "inside info", so whenever he can discredit someone he jumps at the opportunity. I didn't think O'Leary's resume was a big deal and I don't think Foley's is either.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I agree.. I believe it was Tom Coughlin that had Foley with him in Jacksonville, and said he is a hell of a guy.. While I don't agree with the lies in his resume, if he helps the Vikings to get better and reach their ultimate destination, then I am all for him.. If not, get rid of his a$$ at the first sign of trouble. We don't need another black mark on our team..

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

Pretty much every resume is bolstered...some more than others..
    Mine was and i have a great job to show for it !
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

faninphx is offline Starter

OMG, somebody padded their resume?!?!?!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Wilf will be the final arbiter of this issue...if he is fine with it, then so should we...if NOT, he's gone! End of story.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Navycoach is offline Starter

For those of us who are from MN or still live there, it has never been a secret that the Vikings organization and the press (Star Trib, Pioneer Press, etc...) have NEVER gotten along. It is not getting any better either, what with this "media blackout" and all. Nodak said they were grasping at straws, and I completely agree. The press HAS to find somthing to give their readers because there is no real news coming out of Winter Park at the moment. Hopefully we'll get some decent stories after this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast