Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings hire Va Tech's Rogers as Quarterbacks Coach

"Mikecarter81" wrote:
    Darrell Bevell played QB for the Badgers under Brad Childress. I think he is a sound pickup, but its a bit of a jump from QB coach to oc.

Mike
    He'll have alot of help, i think he will be more like Childress assistant, helping him coach them along, coming up with strategy, but i'm pretty sure Childress is the man behind the plan, calling the plays and all. Thats why he hired a guy like Tomlin to take full control of the defense so he could focus on offense.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"vikingstw" wrote:
    "Mikecarter81" wrote:
    Darrell Bevell played QB for the Badgers under Brad Childress. I think he is a sound pickup, but its a bit of a jump from QB coach to oc.

Mike
    He'll have alot of help, i think he will be more like Childress assistant, helping him coach them along, coming up with strategy, but i'm pretty sure Childress is the man behind the plan, calling the plays and all. Thats why he hired a guy like Tomlin to take full control of the defense so he could focus on offense.
    Yeah Childress said that he will call the plays himself just like Reid did in Philly.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Nice pickup. Virgina Tech dosnt mess around. Thier a great orginization. I love that we're getting who we want, quickly.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Thu, Jan. 12, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings hire 'great teacher' for QBs[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Kevin Rogers helped develop Brad Childress' first NFL franchise quarterback, Donovan McNabb.

Now Rogers will try to help Childress' second franchise quarterback, Daunte Culpepper.

After marveling at the impact Rogers had on McNabb at Syracuse, Childress has hired Rogers to be the Vikings' quarterback coach and work as Culpepper's position coach.

"We will have a staff of great teachers," said Childress, who was hired last week to replace Mike Tice as the Vikings' head coach. "Kevin is one of those great teachers. He did a great job of mentoring Donovan at Syracuse. He has experience as a coordinator and most recently had a big part in Virginia Tech's success. We're happy to have him."

Childress also could soon welcome a former player to his staff. Darrell Bevell is believed to have arrived in the Twin Cities on Wednesday night and is expected to meet with Childress today about the offensive coordinator job. Bevell, the quarterbacks coach of the Green Bay Packers, was a starting quarterback at the University of Wisconsin, where Childress was his position coach and offensive coordinator.

Eric Bieniemy, the running backs coach at UCLA, also was believed to be at Winter Park on Wednesday interviewing with Childress.

Meanwhile, Childress informed defensive line coach Brian Baker that he would not be retained.

"I'm out," Baker said. "It wasn't an interview, but I had an opportunity to sit down with him. He was good about everything."

Baker is unsure of his future, but he wants to keep coaching. Meanwhile, strength and conditioning coach Kurtis Shultz and coverage coordinator Chuck Knox are awaiting word from Childress.

After 27 seasons of coaching at the college level, including the past four at Virginia Tech, Rogers makes his NFL debut with the Vikings.

During his tenure with the Hokies, Rogers oversaw Bryan Randall as he became the school's all-time leader in passing yards, touchdown passes and total offense and was selected 2004 player of the year in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Rogers is a graduate of William & Mary, joining defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and free safety Darren Sharper as alumni of the tiny Virginia private college.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SamDawg84 Guest

lol thats funny and awesome. the new qb coach has worked and will work with 2 franch. qb's. ncnabb and daunte

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

With all these changes sweeping through it must be like a blur at Winter Park - security staff might be hhaving a nightmare trying to keep up with all the new faces coming in !
    Seriously this looks a good pickup, I've not seen many VT games but those I have have looked impressive with the QB play.
    With that many years at the job it sounds like Rogers knows a thing or two about the QB position.
    Here's hoping he delivers !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Smartest move we ever did was getting Childress right away so he could put a staff together while other teams are still dragging their heels. We get the "cream of the crop" while they are stuck with second picking leftovers.
    yeah nobody likes sloppy seconds!!
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Good, good, good moves...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/rogers.html

Here's a great bio on our new QB coach. This was a solid move i like this alot. I like the fact that childress hires guys with past military experience, wether they where in the military or they coached in the military.

stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

Sounds to me like this coaching staff is being put together for DAUNTE. Childress (worked with McNab)
    Rogers (McNabb)

McNabb= running QB developed into a passer.

Childress Declares Daunte Starter.

I hope the magic works

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast