Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings set to hire another personnel executive

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I'm not so sure I like this move.
    Two people who have been with the Vikings a long time -- Paul Wiggin and Frank Gilliam are gonna be gone it it looks like. Moving in are:

George Patton and

Scott Kuhn

Both look like TV type personalities in the mold of Spielman. I don't trust 'em!
    That dude just looks creepy!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Two people who have been with the Vikings a long time -- Paul Wiggin and Frank Gilliam are gonna be gone it it looks like. Moving in are:

George Patton and

Scott Kuhn

Both look like TV type personalities in the mold of Spielman. I don't trust 'em!
    That looks like the euphoric smile of a paint huffer.

Seriously though, where is all this mistrust for this organization coming from?
    Is this left over from the McCombs era?
    I have more faith in these guys then the two I experienced before them.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Billy" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

George Patton and

Scott Kuhn

That looks like the euphoric smile of a paint huffer.

Seriously though, where is all this mistrust for this organization coming from?
    Is this left over from the McCombs era?
    I have more faith in these guys then the two I experienced before them.
    Haven't you heard BB.
    Instant distrust along with a heavy does of pesmisitic thinking towards anyone new until they have to prove themselves first, whatever that means.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

From SI's Website:
    Very quietly -- which is the way he always did his work -- the 36-plus-year career of longtime Vikings scout and personnel man Frank Gilliam might have come to a close this week. Gilliam, who joined the organization in 1970 and served as a regional scout last year has reportedly asked to pursue other opportunities, according to Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman.

Gilliam served as the team's VP of player personnel for many years and was known for his superb touch in identifying late-round picks or collegiate free agents who could contribute to the Vikings success. Scott Studwell, Wade Wilson, Steve Jordan, John Randle, Ed McDaniel, Brad Johnson, Robert Griffith and Matt Birk were among the players who went on to Pro Bowl selections after being either drafted in the later rounds or signed by Gilliam and his scouting staff.

As good a football man as he was, Gilliam was an even better person, and I can't ever remember him being anything but dignified and professional in the years I covered the Vikings. Best of luck, Frank, wherever you may land.
    From Charlie Waters at the St. Paul Pioneer Press:
    http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci_6088669
    After 36 years with the Vikings, classy Frank Gilliam, who played a big part in the team's drafts as a regional scout after several years as director of player personnel, is not returning following a low-ball offer to continue.

"They offered what I thought was way below - way below - my value to the Minnesota Vikings," Gilliam said Thursday from his home in Orlando, Fla. "We differ on my value to the team. That's up to them. I guess they have other people in mind. They're making a lot of changes up there.

"I haven't retired. I'm not out looking for a job, but I'll listen to someone."

Of the Vikings drafts, he said, "We picked a lot of good players and won a lot of games; I guess that's the signature of your ability to evaluate. I had some memorable years and moments."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

The way I read it Cojo is that they aren't being pushed out.
    Sounds to me like Gilliam is;

"They offered what I thought was way below - way below - my value to the Minnesota Vikings," Gilliam said Thursday from his home in Orlando, Fla. "We differ on my value to the team. That's up to them. I guess they have other people in mind. They're making a lot of changes up there.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Vikings hire personnel executive & add another scout

[size=13pt]VikingBuzz BLOG[/size]

By Kevin Brown
    vikings.scout.com

Posted Jun 9, 2007

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:

By Kevin Brown
    vikings.scout.com

Posted Jun 9, 2007
    The lone departure, veteran scout Frank Gilliam, remains an astute talent evaluator.
    But according to sources, he struggled to adapt to the many high-tech advances in the department, as well as the new system installed by Spielman.
    Gilliam, it should be noted, turned 73 in January of this year.
    He had been in a role as a senior consultant to the team since 2002.
    I don't think I much like getting rid of Gilliam one bit, because his track record basically speaks for itself. Why would you not want a guy like this, that has been making these decisions for so long, to consult with?

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"The" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

By Kevin Brown
    vikings.scout.com

Posted Jun 9, 2007
    The lone departure, veteran scout Frank Gilliam, remains an astute talent evaluator.
    But according to sources, he struggled to adapt to the many high-tech advances in the department, as well as the new system installed by Spielman.
    Gilliam, it should be noted, turned 73 in January of this year.
    I don't think I much like getting rid of Gilliam one bit, because his track record basically speaks for itself. Why would you not want a guy like this, that has been making these decisions for so long, to consult with?
    LOL, not if hes senile.

Yeah I dont know.
    I would assume somebody like that would be an asset to the team, but I am sure there is a reason, likely someone more compatible with Spielman.

*Saw Cojo's post above.

Considering he was VP or player personnel for awhile and then became a scout and consultant, it is possible he was getting somewhat outdated and could no longer meet the demands.
    Getting that from the articles and the fact that this is a completely new team now, its not that odd to me.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I guess its dependant on which article you read and who you believe.

Spielman said the Vikings also talked to regional scout Frank Gilliam, who has been with the team since 1970, about staying on as consultant, but "right now, he wants to pursue other opportunities."
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I guess its dependant on which article you read and who you believe.

Spielman said the Vikings also talked to regional scout Frank Gilliam, who has been with the team since 1970, about staying on as consultant, but "right now, he wants to pursue other opportunities."
    I guess it depends on how much "chump change" they offered him to stay on as a consultant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast