Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Sounds like another good hire. Maybe he has better skin then the old coach even though got pretty burned up a few years ago,
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtdan View Post
    Sounds like another good hire. Maybe he has better skin then the old coach even though got pretty burned up a few years ago,
    that's pretty classless to talk about the guys tragedy...

rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    that's pretty classless to talk about the guys tragedy...
    OK. BAD joke.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I completely agree.... he's been in the league entirely too long to not be able to pick up the blitz and play all 3 downs on offense... yes, he's a terrific runner and all that.. but he could use a lot of work in blitz pick up and running routes/catching out of the backfield...

Just because you are a great player doesn't mean you can't make improvements on your game... AP needs to improve in these areas... ALOT!!

AD did improve quite a bit in his pass blocking last year according to PFF. He used to be in the bottom 10 like many prolific run first running backs, but has moved out of that prestigious group.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...y-rbs-and-tes/

Two takeaways from this article for me:
    #1 - RB's are always given the worse pass blocking grades in the league (probably due to the amount of space they are asked to cover)

Pressure Rate
    Centers 3.17%
    Guards 5.55%
    Tackles 7.59%
    Running Backs 8.52%
    Tight Ends 5.96%
    As you can see backs allow the most pressure per snap, presumably due to the location and nature of blitz pickups. Tight ends on the other hand allow pressures at a considerably lower rate than tackles. There are two major contributing factors to this. When tight ends stay in to block there are at least six pass blockers and the tight end isn’t necessarily responsible for one player in particular and is therefore less likely to allow a pressure. Another is that tight ends will stay in to block frequently on ‘smoke’ or quick option routes and where the likelihood of pressure is negligible.
    #2 - Pass blocking efficiency is a minor part of how RB's are valued. McCoy was rated #1 overall running back and was the bottom pass blocker. Ray Rice was a bottom 10 blocker in the NFL and is still the primary focus of opposing defenses.

LeSean McCoy ....The Eagles running back has allowed at least one pressure in nine of his 13 games this season. It’s quite the testament to his running ability that McCoy is still our highest graded running back this season despite having the lowest blocking grade.
    This is an old argument on this site about AD and his perceived deficiencies in pass blocking and receiving. I maintain that the running skills of a RB trump other aspects by a large margin and I don't think AD is as bad as many think in his "non-running" skills. Room to improve for sure, but I don't think he is as big of a liability as many think...if nothing else because the defenses still have to play run first with him in the backfield.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Honestly anyone would have been a good hire, fuck, I could coach AD.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    AD did improve quite a bit in his pass blocking last year according to PFF.
    I agree. Peterson blocked better last season.

This is an old argument on this site about AD and his perceived deficiencies in pass blocking and receiving. I maintain that the running skills of a RB trump other aspects by a large margin and I don't think AD is as bad as many think in his "non-running" skills. Room to improve for sure, but I don't think he is as big of a liability as many think...if nothing else because the defenses still have to play run first with him in the backfield.
    No one believes Peterson is a bad back because he does not block well.

That stated, running backs that are complete, like Walter Payton, take pride in their blocking skills and actually like to give defenders some payback on those plays.

I would like Peterson to take on the challenge and kick some blitzing safety's arse with a pancake block.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post

That stated, running backs that are complete, like Walter Payton, take pride in their blocking skills and actually like to give defenders some payback on those plays.

I would like Peterson to take on the challenge and kick some blitzing safety's arse with a pancake block.
    I would like us to use our best weapon as a weapon and run some damn swing routes with the guy. Anything to get him out in space. Bring in another back to block and run double shotgun with a double HB.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post

Going back 30 years for that one huh. I understand this is more of a philosophy/preference question more than anything tangible. But I would prefer the running back excels in running the ball, being average in the other aspects is fine by me.

Same with a WR. First priority is being able to separate and catch the ball. Blocking is important, but if you've got the skills of Megatron does anyone really care if he whiffs on a few blocks. Where it becomes important is to all of the pedestrian athletes on the field that don't have an overwhelming advantage in the core aspect of their game.

Just for fun take a look at this info from the final answer in stats (Madden gamers):
    Walter:
    Walter Payton - Madden 25 - Muthead

vs. AD:
    Adrian Peterson - 99 Elite - Madden 25 - Muthead

Pretty similar dudes. Pass blocking almost identical. Running goes to AD slightly, receiving significant edge to Walter.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    oh no, not the Madden comparisons,,

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    AD did improve quite a bit in his pass blocking last year according to PFF. He used to be in the bottom 10 like many prolific run first running backs, but has moved out of that prestigious group.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...y-rbs-and-tes/

Two takeaways from this article for me:
    #1 - RB's are always given the worse pass blocking grades in the league (probably due to the amount of space they are asked to cover)

#2 - Pass blocking efficiency is a minor part of how RB's are valued. McCoy was rated #1 overall running back and was the bottom pass blocker. Ray Rice was a bottom 10 blocker in the NFL and is still the primary focus of opposing defenses.

Yes, rb's most important attribute is running the ball... BUT, it's a huge liability that he can't block if anything bc he comes off the field on third down... him having to be taken out of the game on third downs takes our best player off the field on the most important down. It takes away what we are able to disguise and even execute on key downs... it's a huge problem... Yes, he's getting better but he's been in the league for what? 7 years... it's inexcusable.. esp. for someone they want to say is in the top 5 rb's of all time... He needs to do better!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast