Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings hire Frazier as defensive coordinator

Pretty easy prediction there, the odds are againat them to finish last again in pass defense, regardless of who's coaching.

================================================== ===

KFFL
    Vikings | Frazier believes pass defense will improve
    Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:30:16 -0800

Bob Sansevere, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings new defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier is adamant that the club's pass defense will improve next season after they led the league in rush defense under former defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin. "If you take a look wherever I have been, our secondary has done pretty good," Frazier said. "We'll improve the pass defense. History says so."

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Colts assistant handed reins to Vikings defense
    By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: February 09, 2007 – 12:34 AM

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I like the signing.
    Personally I don't believe Tomlin was completely responsible for the great run defense.
    With the personnel we have there is no excuse for them not to be a top ranked run defense.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Now if only we could hire an offensive coordinator!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikings’ new defensive coordinator pledged this afternoon to maintain the team’s Tampa-2 scheme while also incorporating some of the “46? defense he learned while playing for Chicago from 1981-86 and coaching in Philadelphia from 1999-2002.
    Hummmmm, don't know if I like this. The 46 Defense hasn't been played by any VFL team since he played for the bears except occasionally. A good short passing team can pick this defense apart from what I understand, especially if they blitz. But then what defense can't. There must be a reason so few teams are playing it.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

wiki wrote:
    Currently, the "46" is rarely used in modern professional and college football (the Baltimore Ravens are the most notable team using it) due to the emergence of the West Coast Offense, popularized by San Francisco 49ers head coach Bill Walsh, and other offensive schemes that rely on short, timed passes from formations that use multiple receivers. A major weakness of the "46" is that too many defensive players line up near the line of scrimmage to blitz, leaving areas wide open for receivers to catch passes. Also, the short, timed passes are thrown before the players blitzing have a chance to reach the quarterback. Another problem is that most teams do not have enough impact players to run the "46" as effectively as the 1980s Bears did.

In Super Bowl XX, the Bears coincidentally scored "46" points in their victory against the New England Patriots.

The ideas of the "46" defense are more often used in the modern game by bringing a fourth defensive back (usually the strong safety) up closer to the line of scrimmage. This is done without the radical shift in formation seen in the "46" defense.
    Frazier likes to run safety blitzes, so this may be what he is referring to.
    Besides, a good short passing game was able to pick apart our straight-up Cover 2 defense, so I guess it can't hurt.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456