Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings: Hicks gets off on the right foot

[size=18px]Vikings: Hicks gets off on the right foot[/size]

Artis Hicks was at the Philadelphia Eagles complex in January a couple of days after his offensive coordinator, Brad Childress, had accepted the Vikings' offer to become head coach.

"He was getting his last things together," Hicks said. "Me and another player had decided to go by and congratulate him. I told him, 'Congratulations, don't forget where you came from.' "

Childress did Hicks one better. He didn't forget about the offensive lineman, either. The Vikings obtained Hicks and a fourth-round selection in a draft weekend trade, sending two second-day picks to Childress' former employer. Hicks was immediately made the starter at right guard; he has been working with the first team in minicamp and Organized Team Activities since his arrival.

"It has been pretty good," Hicks said this week after an OTA workout. "I'm just trying to adjust a little bit. I'm playing on the opposite side of what I've been used to. The technique is a little different. But it's a good team, good coaches and there is a good atmosphere here."

Hicks, who is 6-4 and 335 pounds, spent his first four seasons with the Eagles after being signed as a rookie free agent out of Memphis. A versatile player -- Hicks was used at every offensive line position except for center -- he started 31 games, including 14 last season.

The majority of the time Hicks found himself at left guard. Of course, All-Pro Steve Hutchinson, who received $16 million in guaranteed money to leave Seattle, will anchor that spot for the Vikings.

Hicks, 27, said the biggest adjustment in making the move to the right side is footwork. "Just stepping with the opposite foot from what I've been doing the last four years," he said. "You try to program yourself to step with this foot, put this hand there. When you change teams, you are with a different coach, a different philosophy. So you've got to kind of erase what you've been taught in the past."

One advantage for Hicks is his familiarity with Childress and the West Coast offense the Vikings coach has been installing this offseason. But Hicks cautions that Childress is adding his own twists that will differ from those of Eagles coach Andy Reid.

"There are a lot of similarities, but there are a lot of differences, too," said Hicks, who started in the Eagles' loss to New England in Super Bowl XXXIX. "I know that with the blocking scheme up front, we're scheming things differently than they did in Philly. I think it's going to work out great. Everybody has their own twists. It's still going to be the West Coast, but it's going to be Coach Childress' West Coast."

Etc.

• Former Vikings backup quarterback Shaun Hill recently signed with the San Francisco 49ers. That leaves four Vikings free agents unsigned. The list includes cornerback Ralph Brown; kicker Paul Edinger; running back Moe Williams, and center Cory Withrow.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/484551.html
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings: Hicks gets off on the right foot

He is young and has started 31 of 37 games played in his career so I think he is a great addition to our team.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

I really like the addition of Hicks, the RG spot was like a revolving door last year...... one that couldn't keep anyone out.

Thanks Lotza!

twill is offline Starter

i like this addition as well.. i cant wait to see what happens this year

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Hicks will be one of the biggest additions on our team. He is overlooked by a lot of people (including the eagles organization). Obviously childress recognized that Hicks was one of the better players on the Eagles and went out and got him in a steal trade. If Marcus Johnson can emerge as a starter at RT then we will have a very solid o-line.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Why did we get rid of Fonoti?

Just kidding!!!

I think Childress' WCO is going to have some smash mouth running to it also. Unlike the Reid WCO.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    He is young and has started 31 of 37 games played in his career so I think he is a great addition to our team.

I agree with you.. This seems like a pretty solid pickup.. It looks like he will be a solid starter right away for us Viking fans.. Glad to have him on board..

I can't wait to see how good this OL is going to be!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Sic 'em, Hicks!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings | Hicks working as starting right guard
    Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:18:02 -0700

Jeff Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings OL Artis Hicks was immediately made the starter at right guard after he was traded to the Vikings from the Philadelphia Eagles and he has been working with the first team in minicamp and organized team activities since his arrival.

"It has been pretty good," Hicks said this week after an OTA workout. "I'm just trying to adjust a little bit. I'm playing on the opposite side of what I've been used to. The technique is a little different. But it's a good team, good coaches and there is a good atmosphere here."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast