Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikings Heat Up The War

[size=12pt]The Vikings Heat Up The War[/size]
    Pete Axthelm , Mark Mulvoy
    November 14, 1966
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: The Vikings Heat Up The War

good article

I chuckled at this part
    "The team has jelled," said Fran Tarkenton , who performed sensationally for the fourth straight game at quarterback. "I think we're playing the best football of any Viking team ever."
    best football of any vikings team ever eh?
    You mean all 5 of those teams before you?
    who never really had a good record untill about that time?

I saw that too and chuckled.

"That's the whole game of football," Tarkenton said. "I know we have to make those plays to win. I figure, it doesn't matter if you lose a few yards, because you're going to have to give up the ball anyway. So there's no point being cautious. You might as well try anything you can. I guess that's why I seem to do most of my scrambling on third down." As he scrambled, Tarkenton found Preston Carpenter and Red Phillips in the open for several key gains. He also found room to run. He passed or ran the ball on seven of the Vikings ' 14 third-down successes and called the right running plays for the other seven.
    Nice 3rd down conversions.

So ended the last Packer hope for a sustained offensive. Starr got two more opportunities, but time was running out and he was forced to try long passes. The Viking rushers never gave him a chance to get set. "We've been pretty proud of our defense this year," said Eller . "But today the offense made us look like Little Leaguers. We were glad we finally got a chance to do our part."

The offense succeeded with the same kind of simple power that Eller was talking about. The blockers didn't trick or outmaneuver the mighty Packers . They just outplayed them. "We used a lot of option running plays," explained Guard Milt Sunde. "That means that we just fire out and try to move the defensive lineman back. Then it's up to the backs to find the holes." The fact that the holes were there at all is pretty remarkable. Sunde "fired out" into the wily Henry Jordan . Jim Vellone, a rookie starting his second pro game, charged into Ron Kostelnik—and moved him. Another rookie, Doug Davis , kept Willie Davis out of the Viking backfield.

Fullback Bill Brown did most of the running. Tommy Mason , usually the most explosive Viking rusher, was ineffective and left the game when he reinjured his bad knee in the third period. But Dave Osborn , a seldom-used second-year man from North Dakota , came in to make several important gains. "That's another thing about this team now," said Van Brocklin. "For the first time, we have depth. When we lose a starter we don't have to panic. It's a good feeling."
    Plug in a few different names and we have a recap for the first game of the season this year.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    Plug in a few different names and we have a recap for the first game of the season this year.
    Like this?

So ended the last Packer hope for a sustained offensive. Rodgers got two more opportunities, but time was running out and he was forced to try long passes. The Viking rushers never gave him a chance to get set. "We've been pretty proud of our defense this year," said Allen . "But today the offense made us look like Little Leaguers. We were glad we finally got a chance to do our part."

The offense succeeded with the same kind of simple power that Allen was talking about. The blockers didn't trick or outmaneuver the mighty Packers . They just outplayed them. "We used a lot of option running plays," explained Guard Steve Hutchinson. "That means that we just fire out and try to move the defensive lineman back. Then it's up to the backs to find the holes." The fact that the holes were there at all is pretty remarkable. Hutchinson "fired out" into the wily Ryan Pickett. John Sullivan, a rookie starting his first pro game, charged into Justin Harrell—and moved him.
    Ryan Cook kept Aaron Kampmenn out of the Viking backfield.

Tailback Adrian Peterson did most of the running. Chester Taylor, usually the most complete Viking rusher, was ineffective and left the game when he reinjured his bad knee in the third period. But Maurice Hicks, a seldom-used free agent from Niners , came in to make several important gains. "That's another thing about this team now," said Childress. "For the first time, we have depth. When we lose a starter we don't have to panic. It's a good feeling."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Chester Taylor, usually the most complete Viking rusher, was ineffective and left the game when he reinjured his bad knee in the third period.
    I sure hope not.
    If it happens we all get to blame Zeus!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Like this?

So ended the last Packer hope for a sustained offensive. Rodgers got two more opportunities, but time was running out and he was forced to try long passes. The Viking rushers never gave him a chance to get set. "We've been pretty proud of our defense this year," said Allen . "But today the offense made us look like Little Leaguers. We were glad we finally got a chance to do our part."

The offense succeeded with the same kind of simple power that Allen was talking about. The blockers didn't trick or outmaneuver the mighty Packers . They just outplayed them. "We used a lot of option running plays," explained Guard Steve Hutchinson. "That means that we just fire out and try to move the defensive lineman back. Then it's up to the backs to find the holes." The fact that the holes were there at all is pretty remarkable. Hutchinson "fired out" into the wily Ryan Pickett. John Sullivan, a rookie starting his first pro game, charged into Justin Harrell—and moved him.

Tailback Adrian Peterson did most of the running. Chester Taylor, usually the most complete Viking rusher, was ineffective and left the game when he reinjured his bad knee in the third period. But Maurice Hicks, a seldom-used free agent from Niners , came in to make several important gains. "That's another thing about this team now," said Childress. "For the first time, we have depth. When we lose a starter we don't have to panic. It's a good feeling."
    =Z=
    Exactly.
    I got wood reading that.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Chester Taylor, usually the most complete Viking rusher, was ineffective and left the game when he reinjured his bad knee in the third period.
    I sure hope not.
    Have no fear!

But Maurice Hicks, a seldom-used free agent from Niners , came in to make several important gains. "That's another thing about this team now," said Childress. "For the first time, we have depth. When we lose a starter we don't have to panic. It's a good feeling."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Like this?

=Z=
    knock on wood, asap.

And nice Sullivan prediction thrown in there :P lol

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"Prophet" wrote:
    ...I got wood reading that.
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    ...knock on wood, asap....

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Adrian Peterson, usually the most complete Viking rusher, was ineffective and left the game when he reinjured his bad knee in the third period.
    I sure hope not.

That would be devastating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast