Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings HCs: A myopic view.

or a ticket scalping mike tice?

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I don't think we'll get 10 wins this year, if we make it to .500 I'll be happy.

However, long-term I think we're onto something. As long as Rick Spielman becomes a strong GM presence (which is up for debate at the moment) and we have a couple of good drafts we can be contenders in this conference like the Eagles had been for 3 years before 2005. All the pundits are saying how Childress has never called his own plays; well, neither did Andy Reid and after his first season (which was 5-11 in 1999), he took the Eagles to 4 consecutive NFC Championship Games.

If we have anything like that kind of success I'll be ecstatic.

Maybe if we add a Superbowl in there I'd be even more happy. :wink:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It's to early to judge yet.

I haven't even seen him coach 1 game yet, so I'm certainly not going to predict where I think he will rank in Vikings head coaching history.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

So far I have four people that are going to hunt me down and kill me after the next poll. :shock: Better come prepared :violent1: :lol: .

I look at the list of former HCs and realize that I have only liked three of them: Bud, Norman, and Denny (love/hate relationship). So I only liked 50% of the former HCs. Hopefully Childress brings me over the 50% mark.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Norman Van Brocklin (1961-1967)
    32-59-7 (36% wins)

He also was the headcoach of a expansion team

3 - 11 - 0

2 - 11 - 1

5 - 8 - 1

8 - 5 - 1

7 - 6 - 0

4 - 9 - 1

3 - 8 - 3

expansion back then was tougher then today, no free agency and you had to build through the draft and that made it a lot tougher to build a team.

2 years later the Vike's were in their 1st Superbowl.

PS. Prophet I made that 5, better get that Uzi ready.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    yea, exactly, i hope he ranks above Grant in percentage, but Bud Grant will always be the best coach of the vikings, lets say some where down the line some coach coaches longer, has more wins, brings us some superbowls, etc |(hopefully childress! lol)

yes, he'll be a great coach, but Grant was the first to bring us to glory, so he'll always be our coach <3
    Grant is the best coach so far, and will always be one of the very best. But he was not the first coach to bring us to glory. He was the first coach to bring us in reach of glory. We have yet to have a coach actually get us there. When that happens (notice I said when, not if), that coach will be the greatest ever in my mind.

It's going to happen. Soon. Probably in Florida (since Florida has three of the next four superbowls). But, how cool would it be to win a super bowl in our brand new stadium...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Rastak is offline Rookie

"singersp" wrote:

I haven't even seen him coach 1 game yet, so I'm certainly not going to predict where I think he will rank in Vikings head coaching history.

Man, no kidding. I wouldn't answer that question even after training camp closes and the preseason ends. Maybe I'd make a guess halfway through the regular season but that would be really early. Give the guy a year and we'll start the guessing.

Prophet Guest

"Rastak" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Man, no kidding. I wouldn't answer that question even after training camp closes and the preseason ends. Maybe I'd make a guess halfway through the regular season but that would be really early. Give the guy a year and we'll start the guessing.
    Wrong answers. There is no way to determine his long-term success even after a few years. It's pure speculation with so many intangibles nestled within any prediction that any prediction is worthless. Thus the title...a myopic view. The so-called journalists do it all the time except they try to make the allusion that they actually know something about the situation.

Rastak is offline Rookie

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Rastak" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Wrong answers. There is no way to determine his long-term success even after a few years. It's pure speculation with so many intangibles nestled within any prediction that any prediction is worthless. Thus the title...a myopic view. The so-called journalists do it all the time except they try to make the allusion that they actually know something about the situation.

Right, I guess I should have said "I'll pass" since journalist are paid to give opinions when there is almost no data to support it while I am not.
    I guess you couldn't get more myopic than predicting a head coaches final standing before he coached a single game!

Also, after several seasons you won't be guessing or predicting, you'll know where he'll likely be slotted, or at least can have some data to base a pretty acurate guess on.

To me, one year should give me some indication of how he runs the team and a prognosis for future success. I admit, it'll still be a pretty wild guess
    after only one season.

Prophet Guest

The difference is we get to make our progastications for free and since they get paid some people put more credibility into their prognostications. I never really understood that. We have many posters here that can write better articles with more supportive information then we typically see in the normal outlets. Personally, I have more respect for many posters on this board than I do for most of the media hacks. No matter how you slice it though, this is a far reaching guess. Having an owner that isn't afraid of spending the coin and an owner that demands production and holds people accountable are steps in the right direction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast