Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Vikings have talent to compete with best

The Vikings certainly were hurt by injuries in their playoff game, and now they have to figure out who will play quarterback, but the ability is there.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/37688164.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiacyKUnciaec 8O7EyUr

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings have talent to compete with best

Indeed.

We might be the most talented team in the NFC.

Unfortunately our coaching staff is holding us back. We may need a new QB, but whoever we bring in to start at QB next season, we will struggle in the same way on offense.

And then we will be free of the burden known as the KAO.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    Indeed.

We might be the most talented team in the NFC.

Unfortunately our coaching staff is holding us back. We may need a new QB, but whoever we bring in to start at QB next season, we will struggle in the same way on offense.

And then we will be free of the burden known as the KAO.
    We'll see.
    I'm not a very big fan of Childress.
    Still, I'm of the mind that a better quarterback would make this offense look better (if not necessarily good).

If Childress is the problem, then everyone had better pray that we don't get a good veteran quarterback this offseason, because if we do, we might do just well enough to justify Childress keeping his job (but not well enough to win a Super Bowl).

I think Childress is an average coach.
    Not good, not bad - average.
    As evidenced by the fact that we fielded a pretty average team this year - which is appropriate seeing as how our piss-poor QB situation turns us from a good team into an average team.
    I'll repeat that again - we're an average team with the QB situation as it is.

Childress doesn't do much different than certain other coaches do - I see the same dump routes and vanilla playcalling even in some successful teams.
    The difference is that, for those teams, it works.
    I don't know, maybe he'll improve or look better next year.
    But if this team continues to be average, my mildly disapproving tolerance will intensify, and I'll join the pitchfork-wielding mob determined to run him out of town.

But the fact remains that our two starting quarterbacks this year included a guy who went 2-4 and looked like a rookie in games that counted, and an over-the-hill journeyman who threw more interceptions than touchdowns.
    If you get play like that from your quarterbacks, I don't care WHO'S coaching this team.
    Hell, the fact that they had to change quarterbacks that quickly belies an instability at the position which is NOT good for a team.
    It doesn't matter if it's Bud Grant or Bill Cowher or anybody - you won't get far into the playoffs with that kind of quarterback play.

Fix the quarterback problem first - THEN we can talk about coaching.
    Players are more important than schemes.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"BBQ" wrote:
    We'll see.
    I'm not a very big fan of Childress.
    Still, I'm of the mind that a better quarterback would make this offense look better (if not necessarily good).

If Childress is the problem, then everyone had better pray that we don't get a good veteran quarterback this offseason, because if we do, we might do just well enough to justify Childress keeping his job (but not well enough to win a Super Bowl).

I think Childress is an average coach.
    Not good, not bad - average.
    As evidenced by the fact that we fielded a pretty average team this year - which is appropriate seeing as how our piss-poor QB situation turns us from a good team into an average team.
    I'll repeat that again - we're an average team with the QB situation as it is.

Childress doesn't do much different than certain other coaches do - I see the same dump routes and vanilla playcalling even in some successful teams.
    The difference is that, for those teams, it works.
    I don't know, maybe he'll improve or look better next year.
    But if this team continues to be average, my mildly disapproving tolerance will intensify, and I'll join the pitchfork-wielding mob determined to run him out of town.

But the fact remains that our two starting quarterbacks this year included a guy who went 2-4 and looked like a rookie in games that counted, and an over-the-hill journeyman who threw more interceptions than touchdowns.
    If you get play like that from your quarterbacks, I don't care WHO'S coaching this team.
    Hell, the fact that they had to change quarterbacks that quickly belies an instability at the position which is NOT good for a team.
    It doesn't matter if it's Bud Grant or Bill Cowher or anybody - you won't get far into the playoffs with that kind of quarterback play.

Fix the quarterback problem first - THEN we can talk about coaching.
    Players are more important than schemes.
    A excellent post my friend.

Only thing for me is that I just don't see it as a HC issue or a QB issue. I also believe that our team is talented, however we have issues at other positions.........

OL.
    Sure they can run block and they do it good enough that both CT and AD are productive in that area.
    Problem is they can't pass block reliably.
    Give a QB more time and he will find a open guy.
    Let him get hassled/pressured most of the time and he won't.

WR.
    I am gonna hope that our issues with our WR's getting off the line and getting separation are related to both of them having a ding or two all year.
    With that said, if our WR's got a bit more separation our QB's wouldn't have to try to throw into marginal coverage.

3. QB.
    Speaking of TJ only here.
    He really needs to work on his pre-snap reads.
    I think most of his problem right now is a lack of confidence with respect to what he thinks he sees.

Long story short, we need to fix all 3 and not just one.
    Again, excellent post though my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg