Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings have a secret weapon in the passing attack?

secret or not.. i hope he turns into a versitile weapon!!

it'll be good to get back to a moving O and a sufficating D at the same time..

DiGITaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

davike is offline Team Alumni

Last year Childress brought in another backup that had some people worried....his name was Chestor Taylor.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

gr8vike is offline Asst. Coach

"davike" wrote:
    Last year Childress brought in another backup that had some people worried....his name was Chestor Taylor.
    I agree with davike on this one. alot of backups on other teams are good enough to be quality starters, they are just behind a great player so they never get the chance to be seen. Chester Taylor backing up Jamal Lewis, Larry Johnson backing up Priest Holmes, Priest Holmes backing up Jamal Lewis, Michael Turner backing up LT, maybe it converts to Tight Ends too. He was backing up Jeremy Shockey, of course he isnt going to light up in the stat book. He only plays if Shockey cant. I think it is a gamble that will pay off if he learned anything from Shockey.

Thanks PPE for the Sig

Fighting on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you are still mentally challenged!

I was excited when I first heard about the move, I remember seeing him in a game a year or 2 ago and being impressed with his athleticism.
    I remember thinking to myself that he could definitely be a starter were it not for Shockey.
    Even when we had Wiggins, I felt TE was a weakness on the team, the Vikes haven't had a threat from that position in a while.
    I'm glad they addressed the position and hopefully he surprises a lot of people.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Nice find.That excites me alot.I've never personally seen him play that much really.I'm in Florida, we dont EVER get Giant games on TV.However I rep up on his wrap, and it excited me then.Now hearing this is good news, more of Childress' genuis if you ask me.He brought in decent amount of FA staters last year who did farley well.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

In the Bollinger article, it talked about the WRs, assumes TEs were included in this group, said they were dropping passes left and right.

If out TE is going to catch 50 passes, he might lead the team?

Shiancoe could very well be a sleeper.
    He was hidden behind Shockey and we found him.
    Hope he lives up to the expectations of Chilly.
    Chilly (and the Vikes) made the statement of what he thinks of Shiancoe by giving him that much money.

Bring on the season!

i was glad when we picked this guy up! i mean you really dont get to see much of him when he is playing behind shocky! Just look how Larry Johnson panned out once he was given a chance.
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"gr8vike" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    I agree with davike on this one. alot of backups on other teams are good enough to be quality starters, they are just behind a great player so they never get the chance to be seen. Chester Taylor backing up Jamal Lewis, Larry Johnson backing up Priest Holmes, Priest Holmes backing up Jamal Lewis, Michael Turner backing up LT, maybe it converts to Tight Ends too. He was backing up Jeremy Shockey, of course he isnt going to light up in the stat book. He only plays if Shockey cant. I think it is a gamble that will pay off if he learned anything from Shockey.
    Also these players were behind "Stars".
    Shockey and Lewis were celebrities and fan favorites, if they dont get played (and they will) there will be unrest, making it harder for Taylor and Shiancoe to get the opportunity to prove themselves.
    Taylor got his lucky break through an injury though, Shiancoe hasn't.
    Making him an possible "secret weapon".

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Billy" wrote:
    "gr8vike" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    Also these players were behind "Stars".
    Shockey and Lewis were celebrities and fan favorites, if they dont get played (and they will) there will be unrest, making it harder for Taylor and Shiancoe to get the opportunity to prove themselves.
    Taylor got his lucky break through an injury though, Shiancoe hasn't.
    Making him an possible "secret weapon".
    I fucking hate this comparison. It is just stupid. Relating Taylor behind Lewis and Shiancoe behind Shockey is comparing apples and oranges.

1. RB vs. TE: A spell RB sees the ball a whole lot more than a backup TE does, even though they were both behind star players. Before Taylor joined the Vikings, he had a total of 373 carries and 105 receptions, a total of 478 touches. Shiancoe has 35 catches. Barely comparable.

2. Starting roles: When Taylor entered the starting rols because of an injury to Lewis, he served as a solid running option. Lewis was missed, but not much. Shiancoe was not able to capitalize at all when Shockey went down, forcing the Giants to invest in other receiving options, such as Plaxico Burress.

My point is, Taylor proved he was a solid backup before he joined the Vikings. Shiancoe hasn't even done that yet. He is a much bigger risk than Taylor was. I'm not saying he will not succeed in the KAO, just don't compare a guy who was struggling to hold a backup role in NY to a guy who provided solid running options for the Ravens.

Jim Kleinsasser had more catches than Shiancoe last year.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12