Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Patterson isn't going to help a ton in the passing game this year, but he'll upgrade our special teams. He's going to need a bit of time to develop, but the ceiling with that kid is really, really high. Higher than any other in the draft, imo. Unfortunately, he has some bust potential, too. Still, "Those who dare..."

Floyd is a huge surprise. He can play LDE on running downs, too.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    Yeah.. But the middle of the field is gonna be so wide open with no MLB that u could drive a truck through it.
    I'm still not convinced that any of the MLB (or IB'rs) could have come in, started, and been successful anyway. I would have been alot happier if they would have been able to keep Jasper for one more year.

On good thing about burning the extra picks, the rookie pool will be smaller. That means they might have enough room on the CAP to go out and sign a MLB for a years contract now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Everyone was begging for a wide receiver. We got it.
    Just like most wide receivers entering in the pro's he will have to learn to play in the NFL. BUT unlike most big receivers, he can contribute right away on kicks and designed hand-offs.

The Vikings really needed a returner and a receiver is expected to need time before he reach his full potential. Also worth remembering how fast Patterson acclimated to high college level, putting up big numbers in already his first game.

- Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
    I like the Patterson pick, just found it amusing they felt he would be contributing right away on ST and not at the WR position. I think they'll try and get him involved as a WR sooner than people think.

Didn't like reading he was a body catcher though....

Weaknesses
    Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary. Was not frequently asked to go up and get the football at its highest point. Large number of his snaps start while off the line of scrimmage, allows for a better release. Doesn't use his hands enough against a jam, tries to dip or side-step rather than slap or push. Tends to throttle down in his breaks. Burst after the catch or return is only adequate but does accelerate quickly. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. Inconsistent blocking effort.

NFL Comparison
    Demaryius Thomas
    Cordarrelle Patterson Draft Profile

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    MulletMullitia is happy... Purple Floyd is happy... Marrdro is happy... digital420 is happy... gregair13 is happy...
    and most importantly: I am happy
    It's a great time to be a Vikings fan.

Quote Originally Posted by PackSux! View Post
    Marty would tell you that a good warpig will make the middle linebacker's job much easier. I agree 100 percent with Marty. Not to mention I believe we will sign Urlacher now that the draft is over.

SKOL VIKINGS!
    I suspect we will draft a cat with our next pick but he will take just as much time to develop as Audie will.

Only solution I see is a vet on the cheap and lets hope that I'm correct in that our newly improved DL will make that cats job easier than what Jasper and EJ had to endure the last 3 years.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ranger is offline Coach
    Minter, Brown and Te'o were the big MLB prospects, and nobody even touched them. There's not a huge need, and they all have pretty clear faults. I'd be surprised, not stunned, if one of them slid into the later rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Patterson does have nice open field ability for a big guy, but I worry about his hands and routes. Jennings could teach him about routes.

Karlos Dansby would be a nice pick up, but he was cut for cap space as much as age. Dansby wants prime time cash for a past prime body. He can still perform, but he is not a long term solution.
    Coaches coach, players play my friend..... JK, I have said for several weeks that the Vikes are a prime landing spot for Patterson because they have 3 starters that can cover down on the X, Y and Z positions allowing young Patterson to focus on one this year.

My guess is they will work him almost exclusively in the "Z" as he ran the "X" alot in college. Besides, how hard is it to run the 7, 8 an 9 routes. He figures the "Z" out this year and he will be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I hope we trade Chris Cook for a early third round pick. He just can't stay on the field and we have Xavier Rhodes as his perfect replacement as he's very similar, minus the character and durability issues. Plus there's alot of good corners that will be available in day 3. Here's me hoping our starting lineup in 2013 will feature Josh Robinson and Rhodes on the outside and Tyrann Mathieu or Jordan Poyer in the nickle.

Cordarrelle Patterson is the only player who has the most potential to be like Julio Jones in this draft, if not the whole league. As a pass-catcher, Julio is way ahead of Patterson, but Patterson is better than Julio in pure running-ability.
    Rhodes was drafted to play opposite of Cook, not open the door to get rid of him. Rob will move inside to the nickle and AJ will provide depth when/if one of them gets hurt.

As to injuries, I think the issue with our DB's getting hurt all the time just got alleviated when we drafted my Warpig. Now or DB's will be allowed to focus on the pass and not support the run so much.

Taking those hits off their plate will decrease how often they get hurt my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Minter, Brown and Te'o were the big MLB prospects, and nobody even touched them. There's not a huge need, and they all have pretty clear faults. I'd be surprised, not stunned, if one of them slid into the later rounds.
    I think there is a need, I'm just not sure any of them are worth taking. Brown to small, Minter more of a thumper and Teo is Teo.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I like the Patterson pick, just found it amusing they felt he would be contributing right away on ST and not at the WR position. I think they'll try and get him involved as a WR sooner than people think.
    I think he will be utilized at the receiver position, but they'll limit his reps and not ask him to run all the routs (which I don't have a problem with at all). This'll give him better time to focus on returning.

Playing full-time receiver AND
    get a couple of hand-offs AND
    return punts AND
    return kicks
    in every game
    is a bit much to ask.

We have seen both Devin Hester and Percy Harvin been limited in the return game as they have been more involved in the offense. I think the Vikings' best bet is to take Patterson's running skills in use first.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Didn't like reading he was a body catcher though..
    Yes, I've noticed that too on film and it's not something I like. think as Vikings fans, the Troy Williamsson-experience unfortunately still lingers in the back our minds. However, I've more recently started to think that receivers who like to body-catch will not necessarily be a bad receiver. I've seen many good receivers who likes to body catch. Perhaps the best pass receiver in history, Randy Moss, was a frequent body catcher.

In some occasions, body-catching the ball is even the smart thing to do.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast