Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Re: The Vikings have the #1 rushing Game in the NFL but they are in 27th place

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Why is everyone blaming the offense here? The reason we are in 27th place is purely and simply our pass defense.

How about our pass offense too?
    I agree that there are several areas that we need help, but we are losing close games and if we had any kind of defense to stop opposing teams we'd be winning. I guess you could also say if we had any kind of offense we'd be winning. Yes, it's a two-way street but the point I wanted to make was it just wasn't the fault of the offense that we are losing so many games, even though many want to blame that aspect of the game soley because we have a good run defense.
    Yes we give up yards, but yards don't win games. Points do. Especially when we hold a team like Dallas to 17 offense points, I think we're doing alright. The lack of a passing offense
    is MUCH more pressing, but it kills drives, gives turnovers and at the very least, kills our time of poss. Yes our defense gives up a bunch of yards, but when your offense scores on average one TD a game, then
    that is MUCH more of an important need.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Plain and simple, we're only half a team.

WE can run but not pass, we can stop the run but not the pass.
    Yet in 2005 they went 9-7 with the 20th rated pass offense, 27th rated run offense, 22nd rated pass defense and 19th rated run defense. One could make the arguement that there was not even half a team that year and the reslutls were better.
    Except when you're terrible at one thing and excellent at other, teams can easily focus on exploiting what you're terrible at.
    At least when you're slightly below average at anything you can keep teams honest.
    Good post Stallion and you get the prize for figuring it all out!
    (I mean that in a good way. It was so obvious some of us missed it.)
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

The 1998 Vikes started the tracking of "explosive plays," those plays over 20 yards.
    This is almost completely reliant on AD for explosive plays.
    In today's NFL, teams must...must, be able to PASS THE BALL to score.
    A great running game helps close games out, and, can open the passing game.
    The fact that opposing teams are 8 in the box > 70% and we suck at explosive pass plays is embarassing.
    Buck up boys...

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

mamaluke is offline Starter

Here is one thing I can not figure out. We are still playing the same scheme defense (Tampa-2)that Mike Tomlin put in place. Yet if you look a the Steelers defense, where Tomlin is still executing the same defense, the Steelers pass defense is ranked I believe 3rd in the AFC and 2nd or 3rd in total defense. What is up with that, is it a matter of personnel? Man it is sickening watching this defense get shredded apart week after week. Tomorrow is going to be a real test as it looks like Winfield is out. It will be a real test for the rookie McCauley. Personally I do not see anything special with Griffin but him being an average player so far. The key, in my opinion is also that our pass rush at times (lots of times) is non-existent and our blitzing schemes are attrocious as it seems like our guys start from 5 yards back and seem to run right into a blocker or get knocked aside with no problem. You can't expect the secondary to cover guys for more than 6 seconds because of a terrible pass rush. I am thinking that Sharper is getting pretty pissed off and frustrated with the current scheme and wants a little more flexibility to make some plays. I am really starting to wonder about our personnel as it seems the Steelers have it all figured out already and are doing something we are not.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Braddock" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Why is everyone blaming the offense here? The reason we are in 27th place is purely and simply our pass defense.

How about our pass offense too?
    I agree that there are several areas that we need help, but we are losing close games and if we had any kind of defense to stop opposing teams we'd be winning. I guess you could also say if we had any kind of offense we'd be winning. Yes, it's a two-way street but the point I wanted to make was it just wasn't the fault of the offense that we are losing so many games, even though many want to blame that aspect of the game soley because we have a good run defense.
    Yes we give up yards, but yards don't win games. Points do. Especially when we hold a team like Dallas to 17 offense points, I think we're doing alright. The lack of a passing offense
    is MUCH more pressing, but it kills drives, gives turnovers and at the very least, kills our time of poss. Yes our defense gives up a bunch of yards, but when your offense scores on average one TD a game, then
    that is MUCH more of an important need.
    That is true, but while yards don't win games, field position often does and when teams are racking up those yards, they are putting us in bad field position and that makes it harder to score. If we would do a better job of pinning the opponents closer to their endzone when they punted, it would be closer for us to get to the redzone and we went a few gamesbefore Philly where the team never even saw the red zone.

Jeremy is offline Starter

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Plain and simple, we're only half a team.

WE can run but not pass, we can stop the run but not the pass.
    Yet in 2005 they went 9-7 with the 20th rated pass offense, 27th rated run offense, 22nd rated pass defense and 19th rated run defense. One could make the arguement that there was not even half a team that year and the reslutls were better.
    Except when you're terrible at one thing and excellent at other, teams can easily focus on exploiting what you're terrible at.
    At least when you're slightly below average at anything you can keep teams honest.
    You can't keep teams honest while being below average at everything. They can attacks you any way they like.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345