Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: The Vikings have the #1 rushing Game in the NFL but they are in 27th place

Ryan Cook, the lack of a half-way decent QB, and our poor receivers.... aka, the passing offense.

But Cook is killing us.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    Ultra I think your saying its coaching ? could be wrong

A strange sidenote as I was thinking about all this thread

There is a team, that is DEAD LAST in the whole NFL in rushing yet are #1 in the NFC
    Nfc north i might remind you.
    The cowgirls are also 6-1
    and if both the Pukers and Cowgirls lose then the midgets are in the mix also as the best teams in the nfc.
    Record wise.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Interesting...to me, it's simple - we DON'T score enough points.

Here's another perspective:
    John McKay, Tampa Bay's first coach, once said of the execution of the Bucs' offense, "I'm in favor of it."

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    Ultra I think your saying its coaching ? could be wrong

A strange sidenote as I was thinking about all this thread

There is a team, that is DEAD LAST in the whole NFL in rushing yet are #1 in the NFC
    No I am not.

Here is what I said:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Since there is so much more to the game (in case you have not noticed) like passing, penalties, 3rd down conversions, time of posession, coaching, Special Teams, and let's not forget Defense it can be understood why we are 1st in rushing and 27th overall.
    Which means that football is a multi-dimensional game.
    It's not just running, throwing, and tackling.
    That's what makes football such an interesting game; because there is so much that goes into every, single play.

You can have the #1 Rushing attack and still be near the bottom of the NFL.
    Why?

You still have to play defense.

You still need to convert on 3rd down.
    You need to complete some passes to keep the Defense guessing.
    You need your line to block on every, single play.
    You need to not give up TD's or big runs on Special Teams.
    You need to protect the ball.
    You need to make FG's.
    You need to avoid costly penalties.
    You need players to step up.
    You need coaches to have the team prepared with a solid game plan.

You need some, or all, of these things if you want to have a successful team.

2002 (6-10)
    #1 Rushing Offense
    #2 In Total Offense

One of the reasons we were only 6-10?
    #30 in Points Allowed
    Defense?

2003 (9-7)
    #4 Rushing Offense
    #4 Passing Offense
    #1 YPG
    #6 PPG

One of the reasons we improved?
    #23 in Points Allowed

Those are just years and they are stats.
    There are many more things that go into those seasons than what I had listed (my list is above).

You just cannot make the connection between the #1 Running game and #27 overall by simply looking at one aspect of our game.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

ultra anyword on the flyswatter status
    ;D

Thanks josdin00

soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Execution does also come from the coaches.
    Who devises the schemes and plays?
    Who conducts practices?
    Whose job is it to have their team prepared?
    Probably the coach.
    So they are just as responsible for exectution as are the players.
    Ultra that is where it sounded like you were saying it was coaching...guess I was wrong, my comprehesion is getting worse everyday

also I thought you were a big childress guy so it seem strange

I think most everyone understands its more than one thing that makes a team successful(in case you havent noticed)

just puttin it out there for comments, a great ground game can lead to a lot thats good, but a good def, 3rd down conv,time of possesion, ST, QB and coaching.....along with a #1 running game complete the team

we agree

"soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

Execution does also come from the coaches.
    Who devises the schemes and plays?
    Who conducts practices?
    Whose job is it to have their team prepared?
    Probably the coach.
    So they are just as responsible for exectution as are the players.
    Ultra that is where it sounded like you were saying it was coaching...guess I was wrong, my comprehesion is getting worse everyday

also I thought you were a big childress guy so it seem strange

I think most everyone understands its more than one thing that makes a team successful(in case you havent noticed)

just puttin it out there for comments, a great ground game can lead to a lot thats good, but a good def, 3rd down conv,time of possesion, ST, QB and coaching.....along with a #1 running game complete the team

we agree
    I was never really high on Childress.
    But I was willing to give him time to make adjustments and try to get the ship headed in the right direction.

Frostbite is offline Coach

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    I suppose...in the strictest sense of the word responsible, the coaches do have something to do with execution, but you have to admit that some plays were just blown by the players themselves while trying to execute them. That's what I was talking about in my response Ultraviking.

Cheers!
    Something?
    They have a ton to do with the execution.
    If a team is "blowing" plays then they were not properly prepared for the game.
    You said nothing about "blown" plays.
    You said:

b ut last time I checked the execution of any play is on the player not the coach.
    It is the same no matter what level the team; youth, High School, College, or NFL.
    A coach must have his players prepared.

I would not always label an errant pass a "blown" play.
    Maybe it was well defended.
    Maybe the QB had to release it sooner than the route called for.
    There are so many things that happen on the field that could lead to this.
    You cannot expect a QB to hit the nail on the head 100% of time.

And who the heck is "Henderson" for the Cowboys?You can find out whoever you were referring to on the Cowboys depth chart here:

[size=13pt]Dallas Cowboys[/size]

My mistake....got henderson in my head somehow??? I ment Newman. It's tuff being 50 sometimes.....Thanks for the Dallas player depth chart for reference Ultraviking.

Still doesn't invalidate my point that you could have the greatest coach ever standing on the sidelines calling the greatest plays ever and still not be able to win.....unless the players you have can EXECUTE the play correctly. I wasn't aware that coaching in practice during the week fell strictly on the Head Coach. My understanding is that many Coaches are involved during the week in preparation for games. Also....no direspect intented but Frankly, I am starting to get fed up with excuses for PLAYER non-production and lack of execution being put solely on the Coaching staff alone. I have no love for Brad Childress I can tell you that...He's made his share of mistakes for sure....and then some, but opportunities to make plays with the personel on the field and with the call from the sidelines have been there in several games at several times and it didn't get done.

If you are honest with yourself....you have seen what I am talking about.

Just my humble opinion

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    I suppose...in the strictest sense of the word responsible, the coaches do have something to do with execution, but you have to admit that some plays were just blown by the players themselves while trying to execute them. That's what I was talking about in my response Ultraviking.

Cheers!
    Something?
    They have a ton to do with the execution.
    If a team is "blowing" plays then they were not properly prepared for the game.
    You said nothing about "blown" plays.
    You said:

b ut last time I checked the execution of any play is on the player not the coach.
    It is the same no matter what level the team; youth, High School, College, or NFL.
    A coach must have his players prepared.

I would not always label an errant pass a "blown" play.
    Maybe it was well defended.
    Maybe the QB had to release it sooner than the route called for.
    There are so many things that happen on the field that could lead to this.
    You cannot expect a QB to hit the nail on the head 100% of time.

And who the heck is "Henderson" for the Cowboys?You can find out whoever you were referring to on the Cowboys depth chart here:

[size=13pt]Dallas Cowboys[/size]

My mistake....got henderson in my head somehow??? I ment Newman. It's tuff being 50 sometimes.....Thanks for the Dallas player depth chart for reference Ultraviking.

Still doesn't invalidate my point that you could have the greatest coach ever standing on the sidelines calling the greatest plays ever and still not be able to win.....unless the players you have can EXECUTE the play correctly. I wasn't aware that coaching in practice during the week fell strictly on the Head Coach. My understanding is that many Coaches are involved during the week in preparation for games. Also....no direspect intented but Frankly, I am starting to get fed up with excuses for PLAYER non-production and lack of execution being put solely on the Coaching staff alone. I have no love for Brad Childress I can tell you that...He's made his share of mistakes for sure....and then some, but opportunities to make plays with the personel on the field and with the call from the sidelines have been there in several games at several times and it didn't get done.

If you are honest with yourself....you have seen what I am talking about.

Just my humble opinion

Cheers!
    You just keep adding more and more different ideas here.
    I cannot keep up.

Jeremy is offline Starter

Failure to get a reliabe backup QB in the event that Jackson turned out to be a complete flop. Trent Green or Jeff Garcia should have been brought in. The Vikes passing game is painful to watch.

The Vikings typically call more pass plays than running plays despite the fact that they have more sucess running the ball. The best game offensively was against the Bears in which they ran the ball 44 times and threw the ball 23 times. I'm not sure why it was never attempted again. It seems when they get down by a TD they abandon the run and hit the panic button too early.

Jackson has already shown that he is not capable of making quick reads to beat the blitz. He is blitzed very frequently because of this simple fact. The easiest way to counter this is with play calling. A screen pass is a high percentage pass play. Even a raw and unproven QB like Jackson could complete a screen pass. There isn't a QB in the NFL that can't make that throw. It however, is rarely used. I can't recall a single instance this season in which a WR screen was used. Screen plays to the RB's are very rare. The west coast offense is supposed to utilize the TE, RB and FB in the passing game more so then other types of offenses. I'm not sure what offense the Vikings are using but it seems very non-west coast like. Where are all the screen passes? Why did we sign a recieving TE and rarely call his number? Using screens is one of the most simple and fundamental ways to beat the blitz. It's a good way to get your QB into a rythem and complete some easy passes. If you can run one or two sucessful screen plays early in the game the other team will call off the dogs so to speak. Less blitzing gives Jackson more time to make reads, which he clearly needs. I can't for the life of me think of a reason as to why the Vikings don't run screen passes 5 or 6 times a game.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast