Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    boognish is offline Coordinator

Vikings going International?

Say it ain't so!! That would bite for us to lose a homegame. Why would they single out the Vikes in this article? You would think teams such as the Texans, Titans, Saints, Jags and Peckers would be first on this list, with their crappy seasons and all.

NFL Going International?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viking Update Staff
    VikingUpdate.com May 29, 2006

Last year the NFL found success by taking two of its most anemic franchises -- the Cardinals and 49ers -- and selling out a regular-season game between them in Mexico City. If some in the power elite of the league have their way, the globalization of the NFL could include regular-season games in Canada -- with the Vikings being one of the teams considered to forfeit a home game in the process.

The home fans of the Vikings could find themselves missing out on one home game as early as 2008 if a recently-proposed plan by the NFL goes through. Starting in 2008, the league is looking at the possibility of playing two regular-season games outside of the continental U.S. The league experimented with the plan this season with a game between the Cardinals and 49ers played in Mexico City.

One of the places being looked to as a possibility is Canada. While it would likely be easier to send someone like Buffalo or Detroit across the border to play a "home game” in Toronto or Montreal, another distinct possibility is placing a game in Winnipeg, which has long supported the CFL. If that is the case, the Vikings are the closest NFL franchise to Winnipeg and would be a logical choice.

With heightened concerns over potential terrorist acts by sending U.S. teams abroad, it’s unlikely that we’ll see teams going to Germany, where Sunday’s announcement was made and the country that hosts five of the six NFL Europe franchises. But, if push comes to shove, the Vikings could end up as one of the victims of the “globalization” of the National Football League.
    I am a dipshit!!!

Prophet Guest

Re: Vikings going International?

Maybe the Whizzinator and Weed Man could give them some advice on how to win over the fans in Canada.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I do not care if they want to play a preseason game in Europe, Canada or Mexico, but screw playing a regular season game in another country!

Europe has there own league, so does Canada and f*ck Mexico and it's President (Fox)!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Top_Speed is offline Starter

It's geographical.
    Look at the Mexico game.. they took 1 team that is a stones throw away from Mexico and another team that has (had in the past) a large fan base.

So a Canadian game? Minny would be attractable to the NFL/Canadian market along with maybe Buffalo, GB, Detroit
    Home Sweet Dome...

boognish is offline Coordinator

"Top_Speed" wrote:
    It's geographical.
    Look at the Mexico game.. they took 1 team that is a stones throw away from Mexico and another team that has (had in the past) a large fan base.

So a Canadian game? Minny would be attractable to the NFL/Canadian market along with maybe Buffalo, GB, Detroit
    I understand the rationale, but it's a significant disadvantage to the team to lose one home game during the regular season; it's also an affront to Vikings fans, who sell out every game played in MN. Half the stadium has historically been empty during AZ games, so I can understand having them play in Mexico...who's going to miss them?

If the League wants to implement this stupid azz plan, then they had better set up a rotating schedule that ensures every NFL franchise will have their turn playing in a different country, not just teams who happen to be closest to the border.
    I am a dipshit!!!

crazyB is offline Starter

true make them all play, what i don't get is why a team should give up a home game why not put two team's who would be away anyway?
    at least that way no one team would have an advantage that sound's better to me.
    8)

8) crazyB that s Mr crazyB to you 8)

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

"whackthepack" wrote:
    I do not care if they want to play a preseason game in Europe, Canada or Mexico, but screw playing a regular season game in another country!
    I wholeheartedly agree. Having to forfeit a home game is a serious disadvantage for any team, not to mention that the visiting team will probably not like it either, considering that the trip will be longer and even more unfamiliar than neccessary.

I highly doubt that the owners will actually let this happen during the regular season. I would bet that this idea gets shot down next offseason.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

It would really be bad if they were to move a regular season game to Europe, if it would hurt the season for the Vikes.

Still if it should be so, I'll be really glad that I acctually might be able to afford going to a game. I'm sure you understand that I would embrace that possibility.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

no thnx =(

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Ultrapurple is offline Rookie

I spent my last two years in USAF stationed in Minot, ND. The mileage to the Cities and Winnepeg are pretty close from there. There are a TON of Vikes fans in NoDak that would probaly make the trip. But I do not think it would be fair to make it a regular season game. The cost of a gallon of gas is going to really have an impact on how many out of state fans that will be willing to make the trip. They really need to study this proposal.

Ultrapurple
    UltraPurple, USAF (Ret)
    The Woodlands, Texas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast