singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings giving Griffen another look at LB

Vikings giving Everson Griffen another look at linebacker

Vikings giving Everson Griffen another look at linebacker | ProFootballTalk

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Bout damn time. Now that Marrdro cat can quite beyyyatching at the staff for not doing it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Just stop... He has top end speed but he i terrible in space. He will be a fantastic 3-4 olb but in the cover 2, he is baffled.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Bout damn time. Now that Marrdro cat can quite beyyyatching at the staff for not doing it.
    The only reason they're giving him a shot is because they are worried about Brinkley's injury, feel he won't last (if he even makes it to regular season) and screwed the pooch at LB depth.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Just stop... He has top end speed but he i terrible in space. He will be a fantastic 3-4 olb but in the cover 2, he is baffled.
    LOL, I knew that would come out of you.

In the end, I don't agree. I watched him when they brought him in for JA last year, real close. When JA was getting manhandled by one guy, Griff came in and beat him. You don't do that without being able to move in space. Same thing when they dropped him in at DT. Loved watching him and Guion working together.

As with all youngsters, he did get caught up in it a few times, but that is to be expected of them. I think you will see that if he follows a natural progression this year, the numbers of being "Caught Up in it" will go down which might make you change your mind a bit.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The only reason they're giving him a shot is because they are worried about Brinkley's injury, feel he won't last (if he even makes it to regular season) and screwed the pooch at LB depth.
    And your point is?

Look, I don't think they are trying him at the Mike, even though I didn't see any of the workouts. My guess is they will flip him back and forth at the Sam and the Will in situations were they aren't in their normal base defense.

Can you imagine what a heavy nickle would look like with him and Greenway at LB with Griff over behind Rob playing the open gap that Rob isn't playing. Fricken T and TE would freak. Fricken T would shit himself if they were in a package that didn't have a TE.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Rush backer from a 3-4 seems a perfect fit for him for sure. Can he clog the run lanes from MLB? Thats another question. IF we play him at LB we won't have him for DL rotation, but I think he could be really good on blitz plays.

I thought he had an INT last year...but I'm not seeing it on the stat line. Wiped out by penalty?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Rush backer from a 3-4 seems a perfect fit for him for sure. Can he clog the run lanes from MLB? Thats another question. IF we play him at LB we won't have him for DL rotation, but I think he could be really good on blitz plays.

I thought he had an INT last year...but I'm not seeing it on the stat line. Wiped out by penalty?
    I don't think we need to worry about DE rotations. We seem to have alot of them.

As to what position he would/could play. I think it should be the Mike. He has the speed to run with the TE's and as I've tried to describe earlier, the Mike doesn't have the responsibility in the T2 that the C2 requires.

That is really explained pretty good in the second article I just posted on the C2 defense.

Minnesota Vikings: Moving Everson Griffen to Linebacker Will Help the Team (Bleacher Report)

Minnesota Vikings: Moving Everson Griffen to Linebacker Will Help the Team | Bleacher Report

Confident Griffen looking forward to contributing more in 2012

On what he can bring to the linebacker position Ö
    "I can bring a bit of everything. More than anything, I want to be a confident guy. Iím fast to the ball. Explosive. I can blow up the fullback. I can play left or right. I can cover tight ends. Iím versatile. So whatever they give me, Iíll run with it. We had that package last year where I played some linebacker. Weíre going to mix that in more. And thatís all I can hope for Ė just getting more plays, more snaps. And when I get those snaps, I need to show them that I should be out there every play. I just want to play. Whatever they give me, Iím going to run with it and go. I just want to play somewhere. And I feel like I can help take this defense to a new level, along with Jared [Allen], Kevin [Williams], Chad [Greenway]. Thatís what Iím here for. Iím here to make me better and Iím here to help make them better. I want Jared to win a Super Bowl. Kevin. I want to get these guys to get to the next level and get that ring."

Confident Griffen looking forward to contributing more in 2012 | StarTribune.com

I just hope they keep Singletary away from him (and the rest of the defense).