Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,219

    Vikings get some respect

    [size=13pt]Vikings get some preseason respect[/size]

    By John Holler
    VikingUpdate.com


    Posted Jun 26, 2009



    Another national publication has weighed in on the 2009 NFL and, even without Brett Favre as of yet in the mix, The Sporting News is picking the Vikings to repeat as NFC North champions....


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Vikings get some respect

    Thanks for the read my friend.

    Funny to think that most feel our HC is on the hot seat.........Silly yutz's, listening to the ESPN talking heads....

    Green Bay is projected to finish second in the division with a 10-6 record and nailing down the second wild-card spot. The Bears are projected to finish 9-7, followed by the Lions at 4-12.
    I still say the Lions will finish better than the Bores......

    Aging defense, RT/LT who can't stay healthy, no WR's.
    Not a winning combination.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,231

    Re: Vikings get some respect

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for the read my friend.

    Funny to think that most feel our HC is on the hot seat.........Silly yutz's, listening to the ESPN talking heads....

    Green Bay is projected to finish second in the division with a 10-6 record and nailing down the second wild-card spot. The Bears are projected to finish 9-7, followed by the Lions at 4-12.
    I still say the Lions will finish better than the Bores......

    Aging defense, RT/LT who can't stay healthy, no WR's.
    Not a winning combination.
    Sort of like those silly yutzes who spout off about the media all the time, then do a complete 180 whenever the media's opinion parallels theirs...

  4. #4
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Vikings get some respect


    Respect has to be earned, and while I like some positive press, there are far to many variable's during a season to crown anybody yet. Yes we have improved our roster, but so has the other 31 teams. To coin a phrase, "That's Why They Play The Game's". Until we get rolling this year, stay injury free, survive suspension's, have solid QB play then I'll remain quietly optimistic.

  5. #5
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings get some respect

    The division is going to be quite a bit different than the predictions IMO. With the league set up the way it is and injuries also taking key players it is harder than ever to nail down how well a team will do. If we lose the WW for 4 games and god forbid Allen is injured or Winfield decides to force a trade etc our Defense would look drastically different and that could significantly impact our record and that of our rivals that play us. Losing AP could drastically alter our win total for the worst. OTOH if the QB and OL situations come together and if Harvin plays to his potential along with Rice we could be looking at a team stronger than we had in 98.

    The addition of Cutler to a Bears team that beat us once and took a goal line stand and a 99yd Gus pass to win the second one and we will have to be an improved team to take them twice.

    The Packers will be better on offense. The defense is the wild card. If they get things together we are not guaranteed any wins against them. OTOH if the D falls back we can run the tables.

    The Lions might surprise everybody. Either by going 10-6 or by being as horrible as they were last year. They are impossible to pin down.

  6. #6
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Vikings get some respect

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for the read my friend.

    Funny to think that most feel our HC is on the hot seat.........Silly yutz's, listening to the ESPN talking heads....

    Green Bay is projected to finish second in the division with a 10-6 record and nailing down the second wild-card spot. The Bears are projected to finish 9-7, followed by the Lions at 4-12.
    I still say the Lions will finish better than the Bores......

    Aging defense, RT/LT who can't stay healthy, no WR's.
    Not a winning combination.
    They had no WR's last seasaon either, and were effective at times.
    I don't think they'll do as great as some believe, but they should be good for 8-8, give or take a win or two.

  7. #7
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    969

    Re: Vikings get some respect

    No way does Atlanta come to the Dome in the NFC Championship and deny us Super Bowl... again... no way...

    As for the North... I think it could be argued the Vikes have the most talent overall but not by a significant enough margin that they'll dominate their division rivals.
    Games against GB and the Bears will be tough but winnable... Detroit... who knows with them.
    I'm hoping we'll see the NFCN shine outside of the division and get some respect this year.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

  8. #8
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Vikings get some respect

    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    No way does Atlanta come to the Dome in the NFC Championship and deny us Super Bowl... again... no way...

    As for the North... I think it could be argued the Vikes have the most talent overall but not by a significant enough margin that they'll dominate their division rivals.
    Games against GB and the Bears will be tough but winnable... Detroit... who knows with them.
    I'm hoping we'll see the NFCN shine outside of the division and get some respect this year.
    It will take some time.
    Just like the NFCE, a few years ago they were labeled as the worst division in the league, because they kept beating on each other, and only ever really finished 9-7 at best.

  9. #9
    vikesfan87's Avatar
    vikesfan87 is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    17

    Re: Vikings get some respect

    Out of all the NFL preview magazines I have bought (PFW, Athlon and Lindy's) the Sporting News has been the only one so far that has predicted a 1st place finish for the Vikings. The others, I believe, had the Bears winning the division. The other three magazines fault us for our QB situation and I think the Sporting News does to, but that was not enough to remove us from #1 in that spot.

  10. #10
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    969

    Re: Vikings get some respect

    "vikesfan87" wrote:
    Out of all the NFL preview magazines I have bought (PFW, Athlon and Lindy's) the Sporting News has been the only one so far that has predicted a 1st place finish for the Vikings. The others, I believe, had the Bears winning the division. The other three magazines fault us for our QB situation and I think the Sporting News does to, but that was not enough to remove us from #1 in that spot.
    I'm pretty sure they faulted us for that last year too
    QB is the glamor position, everyone believes in wins championships.
    I don't believe either Eli or Big Ben won their team's championships... a solid running game with a tremendous D did... in systems like that you need only an adequate QB (if we have one of those is still a matter for debate).
    Even 2 of Tom's rings can be attributed to his Defense, Peyton's ring as well (their D got HOT that post season).

    I'll be curious to see what Cutler does in Chicago behind a spotty O Line and with average at best WRs.
    I would still believe AaRod in GB with the receiving crew he has is tops in the division.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings deserve more respect nationally
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 07:41 AM
  2. Does anyone feel the media gives the Vikings no respect?
    By KevinK in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 11:28 PM
  3. Vikings Get Little Respect in Fantasyland
    By singersp in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-08-2006, 01:40 PM
  4. Why do we still get no respect?
    By BigEasyViking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 02:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •