Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion

Vikings Get To 53-Man Roster Limit, Announce Cuts

Quarterbacks (3)
    Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel, McLeod Bethel-Thompson

Running Backs (4)
    Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Matt Asiata, Zach Line

Wide Receivers (5)
    Greg Jennings, Jerome Simpson, Cordarrelle Patterson, Jarius Wright, Joe Webb

Tight Ends (3)
    Kyle Rudolph, John Carlson, Rhett Ellison

Offensive Linemen (8)
    Matt Kalil, Charlie Johnson, John Sullivan, Brandon Fusco, Phil Loadholt, Jeff Baca, Joe Berger, Troy Kropog.

Defensive Linemen (9)
    Brian Robison, Kevin Williams, Letroy Guion, Jared Allen, Everson Griffen, Sharrif Floyd, Fred Evans, Chase Baker, George Johnson

Linebackers (8)
    Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, Desmond Bishop, Marvin Mitchell, Audie Cole, Larry Dean, Gerald Hodges, Mike Mauti

Defensive Backs (10)
    Chris Cook, Josh Robinson, Xavier Rhodes, A.J. Jefferson, Marcus Sherels, Harrison Smith, Jamarca Sanford, Mistral Raymond, Andrew Sendejo, Robert Blanton

Kicker (1)
    Blair Walsh

Punter (1)
    Jeff Locke

Longsnapper (1)
    Cullen Loeffler

Players Waived On Saturday (19)
    TE Colin Anderson, RB Joe Banyard, S Brandan Bishop, OL Travis Bond, CB Brandon Burton, WR Stephen Burton, DT Everett Dawkins, S Darius Eubanks, CB Bobby Felder, TE Chase Ford, OL Brandon Keith, DT Anthony McCloud, LB Tyrone McKenzie, OL Kevin Murphy, DT Spencer Nealy, DE D’Aundre Reed, WR Rodney Smith, WR Adam Thielen, DE Collins Ukwu.

Vikings Get To 53-Man Roster Limit, Announce Cuts

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Why do we need 8 LB.

You have your 3 starters and 4 Backups...
    Don't forget 1 of our Lbs can play both positions.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Why do we need 8 LB.

Special Teams I imagine. What would you suggest differently?

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the post, Culpepper_4717!

My breakdown of the finally 2013 roster

QB - The Vikings keep three quarterbacks with McLeod Bethel-Thompson as the third. I expected this after the last preseason game. I doubt it's possible to sneak Thompson through waivers this time.
    RB - Only two pure halfbacks might seem a bit on the short side, but Asiata and Line can play both positions so no worry. I like Asiata for short runs and Line seems very strong. But where is Pro Bowler Jerome Felton? I guess it's because of the suspension that he's not showing up on the roster.
    TE - No surprise here with three good tight ends, including Ellison who can play fullback (and even better than Felton, according to PPF)
    WR - This is where it gets interesting. As I thought, Vikings keep 5 and Joe Webb is the one who got the nod. Doesn't hurt that he can play QB either.
    O-line - Looks alright.

D-line - Looks alright. Will be interesting with the injuries at the tackle positions. I was paying extra attention to DT Chase Baker last game and I was happy with what I saw. He can create good push down the middle.
    Linebackers - I love how EVERYONE was labeling this unit as the weakest part of our defense this year, but I knew what was up even before Bishop arrived This unit can be really good this season and it got solidified with the surprise edition of Desmond Bishop. This is how the starters should look like, from the left side: Chad Greenway, Erin Henderson, Desmond Bishop. I really like Bishop, he plays with great instincts and he looks great. Mike Mauti reminds me of Bishop and is also another that I really liked watching this preseason. The depth is excellent.
    DB - No surprises here. Baring injuries, this unit looks good. Young starters, but very athletic.
    Special teams - No surprises. Looks good. (Please, hold the ball right for Mr. Walsh, Locke!)

As for kick returning, I prefer Cordarelle Patterson. I also would like to see him returning punts, but the Vikes can go with Marcus Sherels. He's a very consistent catcher and can even take it to the house on occasions.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Special Teams I imagine. What would you suggest differently?
    Yes, small linebackers usually makes the best special teams cover guys.

It also might prove that the linebacker positions where not as weak as everyone suggested.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    I'm surprised about Steven Burton, aside from one mental error in the SF game he played pretty well this preseason. That said, he's been nothing but awful whenever he's had a chance in real games.

I expect the Vikes to try to put Felder and Banyard on the practice squad.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Why do we need 8 LB.

Hey if you hadn't noticed we have 4 guys that are qb's just one of them is being passed off as a wr.....I think other teams that have a proven starter are carrying 1 backup, say like the pats or packers for example

iowa is offline Rookie
    The cuts looked pretty predictable, there were a few that could have gone either way, Sherels vs. Felder, Burton vs Webb, nothing shocking though. I hope they can get a few of the guys onto the practice squad, Rodney Smith, looked like he has some potential. I think we might see quite a few moves in the next few days, there were some pretty good players cut around the league today.
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Hey if you hadn't noticed we have 4 guys that are qb's just one of them is being passed off as a wr.....I think other teams that have a proven starter are carrying 1 backup, say like the pats or packers for example
    To be fair they have so many dollars tied up in the starter they don't have any more to spend on the position and they have to do what they can to allocate those dollars to other roster spots.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by iowa View Post
    Sherels vs. Felder
    Sherels played ok against scrubs, but he is outmatched against anything else. Did Felder make too many mistakes to make the roster?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast